PPC and PPC Software

January 6, 2005 9:59:51 PM

This is 2005, why when they design a Pocket PC they can't put in a 10+
gig hard drive? After all if I can get a 5 gig CF card that goes into
the PPC. So why can't they put 5+ gigs into a ppc and put in a full
Pentium 4 processor? That way they can put in a full version of
Windows with full versions of Windows programs.

Considering the state of the art in cell phones/cameras/computers
etc. they should be able to put a 70+ gig drive into a PPC cell
phone and run full windows on it.

After all this is 2005 when they have the ability to take a dozen
full computer systems and put it in a ic chip that fits in the
space of a dime.

--------------------------------

"Republicans believe that life
begins at conception and ends at
birth."
--------------------Barney Frank

More about : ppc ppc software

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:59:52 PM

Hello,
Try this:
http://www.oqo.com/

Hope this helps,
bb

--
Get The CrashCart!!
http://www.rncrashcart.com
"Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is 2005, why when they design a Pocket PC they can't put in a 10+
> gig hard drive? After all if I can get a 5 gig CF card that goes into
> the PPC. So why can't they put 5+ gigs into a ppc and put in a full
> Pentium 4 processor? That way they can put in a full version of
> Windows with full versions of Windows programs.
>
> Considering the state of the art in cell phones/cameras/computers
> etc. they should be able to put a 70+ gig drive into a PPC cell
> phone and run full windows on it.
>
> After all this is 2005 when they have the ability to take a dozen
> full computer systems and put it in a ic chip that fits in the
> space of a dime.
>

> --------------------------------
>
> "Republicans believe that life
> begins at conception and ends at
> birth."
> --------------------Barney Frank
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:56:47 AM

Well they probably could, but you couldn't afford it. Take a look at some of
the super small full windows PCs that do exist. They do have 1GHz, roughly,
processors, around 10-20G hard drives. The screens are on the 800x600 range,
they take a minute or two to boot, last about 2 hrs, and cost $2K. That's
about the state of marketable technology. Push much more in any of the
aspects and the price skyrockets. Personally I would prefer my PPC to not
burn my hand, be instant on, last a good half a day at least, and be
affordable enough that it doesn't kill me to buy a new one every year or so,
as the technology advances and the prices retreats.
--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is 2005, why when they design a Pocket PC they can't put in a 10+
> gig hard drive? After all if I can get a 5 gig CF card that goes into
> the PPC. So why can't they put 5+ gigs into a ppc and put in a full
> Pentium 4 processor? That way they can put in a full version of
> Windows with full versions of Windows programs.
>
> Considering the state of the art in cell phones/cameras/computers
> etc. they should be able to put a 70+ gig drive into a PPC cell
> phone and run full windows on it.
>
> After all this is 2005 when they have the ability to take a dozen
> full computer systems and put it in a ic chip that fits in the
> space of a dime.
>

> --------------------------------
>
> "Republicans believe that life
> begins at conception and ends at
> birth."
> --------------------Barney Frank
January 7, 2005 2:56:57 AM

Well, in theory I like your idea. It would be nice to see more memory and
more speed.

Having said that, my first Pocket PC (a Compaq Aero 1300 I think) had a
wopping 16MB of RAM and ran at just slighly fast than a turtle. My
ViewSonic V36 - my primary device now - has 64MB of RAM, a 1GB SD card and
runs at just shy of 300Mhz. Progress has been and continues to be made.

What your proposing though would increase the size of the devices 10-fold in
my view and the heat problem of having a high-end, Pentium-like processor
would make the thing impossible to put into your pocket!

The other aspect to consider as well (this, like this entire post, is my
opinion)... Pocket PCs really are disposible technology to a degree. They
are constantly being improved both in performace, available memory, options,
etc and the cost to buy a new unit for $300-400 makes them disposible.

My .02

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

"Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is 2005, why when they design a Pocket PC they can't put in a 10+
> gig hard drive? After all if I can get a 5 gig CF card that goes into
> the PPC. So why can't they put 5+ gigs into a ppc and put in a full
> Pentium 4 processor? That way they can put in a full version of
> Windows with full versions of Windows programs.
>
> Considering the state of the art in cell phones/cameras/computers
> etc. they should be able to put a 70+ gig drive into a PPC cell
> phone and run full windows on it.
>
> After all this is 2005 when they have the ability to take a dozen
> full computer systems and put it in a ic chip that fits in the
> space of a dime.
>

> --------------------------------
>
> "Republicans believe that life
> begins at conception and ends at
> birth."
> --------------------Barney Frank
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:28:59 AM

"Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is 2005, why when they design a Pocket PC they can't put in a 10+
> gig hard drive? After all if I can get a 5 gig CF card that goes into
> the PPC. So why can't they put 5+ gigs into a ppc and put in a full
> Pentium 4 processor?

Heat.

> That way they can put in a full version of
> Windows with full versions of Windows programs.
>
> Considering the state of the art in cell phones/cameras/computers
> etc. they should be able to put a 70+ gig drive into a PPC cell
> phone and run full windows on it.
>
> After all this is 2005 when they have the ability to take a dozen
> full computer systems and put it in a ic chip that fits in the
> space of a dime.
>

> --------------------------------
>
> "Republicans believe that life
> begins at conception and ends at
> birth."
> --------------------Barney Frank
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:18:40 PM

Reply to message from Barrnabas Collins <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.
com> (Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:59:51) about ""PPC and PPC Software"":

BC> This is 2005, why when they design a Pocket PC they can't put in a 10+
BC> gig hard drive? After all if I can get a 5 gig CF card that goes into
BC> the PPC. So why can't they put 5+ gigs into a ppc and put in a full
BC> Pentium 4 processor?

Would you like a microturbine to power it all with as well? ;)

It is getting there, but don't overlook some rather capable devices in the
meanwhile...
January 7, 2005 4:16:13 PM

Heat ? - Nah - Battery life !!

"Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is 2005, why when they design a Pocket PC they can't put in a 10+
> gig hard drive? After all if I can get a 5 gig CF card that goes into
> the PPC. So why can't they put 5+ gigs into a ppc and put in a full
> Pentium 4 processor? That way they can put in a full version of
> Windows with full versions of Windows programs.
>
> Considering the state of the art in cell phones/cameras/computers
> etc. they should be able to put a 70+ gig drive into a PPC cell
> phone and run full windows on it.
>
> After all this is 2005 when they have the ability to take a dozen
> full computer systems and put it in a ic chip that fits in the
> space of a dime.
>

> --------------------------------
>
> "Republicans believe that life
> begins at conception and ends at
> birth."
> --------------------Barney Frank
January 7, 2005 7:00:56 PM

Barrnabas Collins wrote:
> This is 2005, why when they design a Pocket PC they can't put in a 10+
> gig hard drive? After all if I can get a 5 gig CF card that goes into
> the PPC. So why can't they put 5+ gigs into a ppc and put in a full
> Pentium 4 processor? That way they can put in a full version of
> Windows with full versions of Windows programs.

A pentium 4 processor alone is the size of, if not bigger than, most PPCs.

> Considering the state of the art in cell phones/cameras/computers
> etc. they should be able to put a 70+ gig drive into a PPC cell
> phone and run full windows on it.

Who is 'they'?

> After all this is 2005 when they have the ability to take a dozen
> full computer systems and put it in a ic chip that fits in the
> space of a dime.

Really? And how cheap can this be done? Again, who is 'they'? Just
wondering.
!