setup to RAID with onboard IDE drives

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi All

I posted in both groups b/c I was unsure who could help. I have just setup
Win2k3 on a system with the following config:

2 IDE on MB IDE channel 0
4 IDE Drives on 3Ware RAID controller (RAID 5)

I installed windows to a partition on the RAID Array and I had assumed that
the 2 drives on the MB IDE controller would just be there as extra (ie the c
drive, master on MB channel 0, would not contain the MBR or boot.ini). I
have set up systems before with RAID controllers only and they work just
fine. But upon looking at the c drive, I find that it contains the boot.ini
and I suspect the MBR. Why? Can I fix this so that the MBR is on the RAID
array? Or do I just have to disable my onboard IDE channels?

Thanks
daben
1 answer Last reply
More about setup raid onboard drives
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Shouldn't be a problem. Somewhere in system bios and or raid controller bios
    you'll need to tell it the correct boot device.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "daben" wrote:
    | Hi All
    |
    | I posted in both groups b/c I was unsure who could help. I have just
    setup
    | Win2k3 on a system with the following config:
    |
    | 2 IDE on MB IDE channel 0
    | 4 IDE Drives on 3Ware RAID controller (RAID 5)
    |
    | I installed windows to a partition on the RAID Array and I had assumed
    that
    | the 2 drives on the MB IDE controller would just be there as extra (ie the
    | drive, master on MB channel 0, would not contain the MBR or boot.ini). I
    | have set up systems before with RAID controllers only and they work just
    | fine. But upon looking at the c drive, I find that it contains the
    boot.ini
    | and I suspect the MBR. Why? Can I fix this so that the MBR is on the
    RAID
    | array? Or do I just have to disable my onboard IDE channels?
    |
    | Thanks
    | daben

NAS / RAID Microsoft Windows