Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

WHAT THE HELL IS WINDOWS 7????

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
March 31, 2009 2:20:15 PM

Okay, i've been out of the software readings for a while, BUT I'm supposed to be a computer junkie and have been wondering what kind of crack people were smoking when they kept talking about windows 7 today. I have just realized now that vista has been replaced??

Why, what, when, how??????

So what's different with windows 7 and how do people find it? is it a total re-design? Is my Vista Ultimate basically obsolete?

More about : hell windows

a b $ Windows 7
March 31, 2009 2:51:03 PM

SUPERCHARGE said:
Okay, i've been out of the software readings for a while, BUT I'm supposed to be a computer junkie and have been wondering what kind of crack people were smoking when they kept talking about windows 7 today. I have just realized now that vista has been replaced??

Why, what, when, how??????

So what's different with windows 7 and how do people find it? is it a total re-design? Is my Vista Ultimate basically obsolete?


http://www.answermejesus.com/ask.asp






April 1, 2009 4:54:51 AM

Wow, nice rock you've been hiding under :) .
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 1, 2009 9:41:02 AM

How's the weather on the moon these days?
April 1, 2009 10:09:26 AM

It's MSs newest operating system due out the latter half of this year.Pay attention will ya.Grinzzz.

Dahak
April 1, 2009 11:20:20 AM

hmmm ive had a play with windows 7, it looks and feels like vista in many ways, though its a lot more efficient, fast boot times ect

vista is pretty good but the lame man has been told its rubbish so MS cant be bothered to do SP 2 , 3 ect as the name is ruined they just make windows 7 whcih has be recived with open arms by most

vista is still a good OS and will be useful for a long time

im looking forward to 7 though as finally MS may have a of the starting block good OS lol :) 
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2009 5:31:17 PM

Win7 = Vista Lite

Take everything good about Macs, and add it.
Take everything bad from Vista (everything?) and remove it.
April 3, 2009 4:04:23 PM

They kept bring out service packs and for xp, so they will hopefully continue to update vista. I've only just bought the fricking think.
April 3, 2009 4:19:56 PM

You're a computer junkie and never heard of Windows 7?????????????????
April 3, 2009 5:12:41 PM



thats hilarious badge



but as to the post in all seriousness its gonna be like going from win98 to win98se "computer junkies" aren't going to know the difference unless they read the label. Were as those of us who insist on doing what was not intended with our computers will swear by it. I hope, M$ is still completely capable of FUBARing it again in which case we'll compare it to win00 or winME.
April 3, 2009 7:02:47 PM

It's built on Vista, but is suppose to be better in alot of ways. For one, you'll be able to disable and control more windows features (supposedly anyway) and it has many usability enhancements. It will be like going from Win 2k to win XP. A face lift, but much of the same underpinnings with a few improvements.
April 3, 2009 7:21:40 PM

Whats Crack?
a b $ Windows 7
April 3, 2009 9:58:40 PM

gamerk316 said:
Win7 = Vista Lite

Take everything good about Macs, and add it.
Take everything bad from Vista (everything?) and remove it.


That's an odd response.

7 is very similar to vista in many of the basic features, and yet you say they "removed everything bad (everything) from Vista", which implies a removal of everything. In addition, it doesn't add that much that is from macs, which is good IMHO, because I can't do anything on a mac. The operating system is so much less intuitive than Windows is, and as a result, it takes me 20 minutes to do anything that would have taken 5 on Vista.
a b $ Windows 7
April 3, 2009 10:24:55 PM

Vista is not a good OS .

Performance is slower than XP across the board .
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/17/12TC-vista-ve...

The difference is mostly due to the copy protection [HDCP] which means vista handles data much more than it actually needs to.
Vista has been a huge marketing flop for obvious reasons . Business doesnt want it because its not a productivity improvement . Gamers didnt want it because it reduced fps .
MS even set up the Mojave experiment to try and convince us all that vista is fast . All they proved is that people will believe anything if you tell it to them enough times, and that MS will go to any lengths to sell product .
A simple benchmark vs XP would have told the true story ... so why did MS waste so much money ? YOUR money btw since its going to be you the consumer who pays in the end .


Windows 7 appears to be the core of Vista without any of the HDCP , plus a whole lot of enhancements .

Notice that netbooks ship with XP .. its because Vista cant run well on that hardware ... but Windows 7 can .
It will fly on real hardware .
April 3, 2009 10:42:44 PM

It's only going to be better if people will be able to use their old printers, scanners, etc on Windows 7 which they b*tched about not being able to install in Vista. I have my doubts.
a b $ Windows 7
April 3, 2009 11:10:16 PM

WOW! This made my day. I'v been working on CAD models the entire day and this was the first thing I say on the home page after reading the news.
a b $ Windows 7
April 4, 2009 7:44:32 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Vista is not a good OS .

Performance is slower than XP across the board .
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/17/12TC-vista-ve...

The difference is mostly due to the copy protection [HDCP] which means vista handles data much more than it actually needs to.
Vista has been a huge marketing flop for obvious reasons . Business doesnt want it because its not a productivity improvement . Gamers didnt want it because it reduced fps .
MS even set up the Mojave experiment to try and convince us all that vista is fast . All they proved is that people will believe anything if you tell it to them enough times, and that MS will go to any lengths to sell product .
A simple benchmark vs XP would have told the true story ... so why did MS waste so much money ? YOUR money btw since its going to be you the consumer who pays in the end .


Windows 7 appears to be the core of Vista without any of the HDCP , plus a whole lot of enhancements .

Notice that netbooks ship with XP .. its because Vista cant run well on that hardware ... but Windows 7 can .
It will fly on real hardware .


Where have you been the past year or two?

Current versions of Vista with SP1 are just as fast as XP in almost every way (faster if you have vista x64), and gamers have for the most part actually preferred Vista 64 for a while now. Initially, it was slower than XP, but that has been fixed for quite some time now.
April 4, 2009 8:35:08 AM

Well, I prefer XP, but Vista isn't ME ;) 
April 4, 2009 12:45:39 PM

Yeah vista is good IMO, runs my games at the same speed as xp somtimes slower or faster, it depends on the game.

lets me run games in DX10, not sure what that comment bout gamers not likeing vista u forgot dx 10

has a lot more features xp pro didnt have media entre that lets u use a tv card easy

find the strt search engine really useful

it looks great

i love the gadgets i use a calculator, media song player and clock :) 

that 3d view between windows is helpful when u have loads of things on task bar

other features i never seemed to find in xp (which it may have had but never found) DVD maker which actually works in a DVD player, Movie maker, magnifier

so its not that bad lol, it was a lil when it came out but has been fixed

win 7 will be much the same just even better :) 
April 4, 2009 11:23:09 PM

I liked XP better because it ran slightly faster on my computer... however the fact the Vista x64 lets me use all 8GBs of RAM makes up for it. (Gotta hate XP x64)
April 5, 2009 9:19:04 AM

it xp again only this time looks smoother and had DX 11, and full 64bit support. basically it is now worth getting and all this is from the beta builds some people have
April 5, 2009 9:29:21 AM

Benfoster93 said:
it xp again...

No it's not.
April 5, 2009 1:54:49 PM

gamerk316 said:
Win7 = Vista Lite

Take everything good about Macs, and add it.
Take everything bad from Vista (everything?) and remove it.


knotknut said:
Whats Crack?

The smelly split the devides butt cheeks,lol
April 5, 2009 1:58:48 PM

Since my xp is running like dog ***, despite that fact that it's virus free and defragged, i'll probably go ahead and set up windows 7, god i hate doing this crap!
April 5, 2009 2:27:34 PM

It's pretty apparent that I am not alone here, but it seems to me that Win7 is the Vista that Vista was supposed to be.
April 5, 2009 3:23:30 PM

jsc said:
It's pretty apparent that I am not alone here, but it seems to me that Win7 is the Vista that Vista was supposed to be.


exactly.
April 7, 2009 8:46:45 PM

Quote:
jsc wrote :


It's pretty apparent that I am not alone here, but it seems to me that Win7 is the Vista that Vista was supposed to be.





Now were getting some where.. :) 
The whole memory hog thing --- well, it's in the pen.
April 27, 2009 3:29:30 AM

it's all about maintainance of the system........

i remember not more than 1 year ago.....i had a pentium 3 @797mhz CPU packed with intel d815 board with a IBM video card with 16mb vga and single 512mb sd ram @100fsb and a 16gb IDE (mostly crashing) ........DON'T JUS LAUGH AWAY

...it raned XP like power house.. every 1 was jus speachless.. not even a core duo could run like that it was all superfast... it had de best performance of xp potential i ever had... and reason.. it's still unknown 2 me... my dualcoes and quads does'nt run like that on x64..

i ran DOOM3 @1024 @low quality and @800 without glitches!!!!! when i ripped a ASUS MX4000 128mb AGPx4-2
April 27, 2009 12:24:42 PM

cjl said:
That's an odd response.

7 is very similar to vista in many of the basic features, and yet you say they "removed everything bad (everything) from Vista", which implies a removal of everything. In addition, it doesn't add that much that is from macs, which is good IMHO, because I can't do anything on a mac. The operating system is so much less intuitive than Windows is, and as a result, it takes me 20 minutes to do anything that would have taken 5 on Vista.


I'd classify that as being more familiar with Windows than being more intuitive. Intuitive means "taking someone that knows nothing about computers and having them grasp it instinctively." Both Windows and Mac are equal in this regards. But, once you learn one system, it becomes intuitive for the newer versions in my experience.
May 1, 2009 3:26:17 AM

If you have 3gb ram, stay vista until 7 is worked out. it is never just a release, it is for the quick and crazy to figure out.

Then after the sp1 or equal, install 7 anytime, the 3gb is suddenly twice what it used to be according to the GDI resource changes. For me again, seeing encoding time or any work compiling, binary or REAL things to do with a computer stopped at a prescott HT, and vista premium, and above benchmark still showing no signs of intelligence on earth, I would only be humoring a new os for the gdi stuff, in which I am not having any problems with anyway, on highest settings for every hog video wise.

I do recommend vista premium or greater, it was down to 100 bucks in some places.... :sarcastic: 
May 1, 2009 6:40:27 AM

I've ran almost every Windows 7 build out, this is by far the best OS M$ has put out. I have had few problems, and most were driver issue's. Windows 7 will blow Vista out of the water, and hopefully off the planet. ;)  j/k .. It reall is a excellent OS, I rcomend anybody with a extra pc or extra room on a hard drive, to download it on the 5th. It's the RC and microsoft has not limited the keys this time so they want everyone to check it out. There is also a xp mode for those of you that want/need to keep your xp only programs running.

Quote:
If you have 3gb ram, stay vista until 7 is worked out. it is never just a release, it is for the quick and crazy to figure out.

It runs fine with 2gb - wich is what I currently have. and most of the beta testing is done... the RC will be out on the 5th (to the public) then they will release the RTM to the vendors and by the fall I'm sure you will be able to purchase a laptop with Windows 7 on it. Oh and you'd be nuts to wait 2 years for a sp1 - and untill you try it out and see what I mean, no response needed. ;) 

GG
a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2009 12:48:21 PM

PLEASE DO NOT BRING UP DEAD THREADS!
!