HP printers are they worth the money?

HP: OK... more expensive.
But from my experience, I'd argue that they still have the best
printers.
Fast printing, good quality and also importantly for me: quiter than
most other makes.
But... my only gripe with HP is that for most of the lower spec models,
you only have two ink cartridges.
So... if the red goes completely... time to change regardless of the
other colours.
If I use compatible inks... how does it compare with other printers in
terms of costs??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM
74 answers Last reply
More about printers worth money

    > Mail is not normally exposed to water unless you have a leaky mailbox.

    Or live in a place that rains often... like Washington... or the UK for
    that matter :P.

    But come to think about it... my old cheaffer pen has less of an issue
    than many inkjets. The funny thing about writing with a fountain pen
    is the text is bigger and rain drops for the most part remain relativly
    the same size. Fountain pen written addresses if they get hit with a
    few drops of water might smuge out a bit of a single letter but you can
    still make out the the majority of the address even if you didn't take
    the time to wait for the ink to dry before mailing. But this was
    mainly an issue when the cartrage pens came out... 19th century
    american post offices sold ink they reccomended for mailing, but they
    stopped because pen makers claimed that postal ink would clog their
    pens. 12 point type on the other hand a drop will blot out entire
    letters, address numbers, and zip codes.

    Come to think about it, ball point pens including bic are also ink
    based and have less of an issue than many an inkjet printer. The point
    is it's not silly to consider an ink that is water resistant for
    mailing stuff.

    HP PRINTERS ARE GENERALLY VERY GOOD. STAY AWAY FROM THE MODELS THAT
    HAVE 3 CARTS WITH ONLY 2 CART SLOTS. YOU WILL BE PLAYING MUSICAL CARTS.

    I ALSO HAVE A CANON IP4000. IT IS BETTER ON PHOTOS AND ALMOST AS GOOD
    ON BUSINESS DOCUMENTS BUT MUCH FASTER ON BOTH AND MUCH CHEAPER TO RUN.
    IT ALSO HAS TWIN PAPER FEEDS AND BOTH PROVIDE ME WITH DUPLEX PRINTING.

    OM wrote:

    >HP: OK... more expensive.
    >But from my experience, I'd argue that they still have the best
    >printers.
    >Fast printing, good quality and also importantly for me: quiter than
    >most other makes.
    >But... my only gripe with HP is that for most of the lower spec models,
    >you only have two ink cartridges.
    >So... if the red goes completely... time to change regardless of the
    >other colours.
    >If I use compatible inks... how does it compare with other printers in
    >terms of costs??
    >
    >Any feedback would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >

    >OM

    > Why don't you go to where the sun don't shine.

    England?

    The bulk mailing industry makes extensive use of high speed inkjet printing.
    Notice how address information on magazines is prone to smearing if it gets
    wet.

    Now about those 19th century post offices that sold ink for mailing. Was it
    OEM ink or some unbranded aftermarket third party ink where they wouldn't
    tell the mailer the formulation of the ink or who made it? Were the nibs on
    the pens OEM or aftermarket and was any of the ink sold through a mail order
    catalog and did they state who made the ink and was it a brand name? <g>
    --
    Ron

    Ron Cohen wrote:
    > The bulk mailing industry makes extensive use of high speed inkjet printing.
    > Notice how address information on magazines is prone to smearing if it gets
    > wet.
    >
    > Now about those 19th century post offices that sold ink for mailing. Was it
    > OEM ink or some unbranded aftermarket third party ink where they wouldn't
    > tell the mailer the formulation of the ink or who made it? Were the nibs on
    > the pens OEM or aftermarket and was any of the ink sold through a mail order
    > catalog and did they state who made the ink and was it a brand name? <g>

    I believe at that point in time all ink came from India (pronounced
    in-giah). :-)
    Frank

    > Now about those 19th century post offices that sold ink for mailing. Was it
    > OEM ink or some unbranded aftermarket third party ink where they wouldn't
    > tell the mailer the formulation of the ink or who made it?

    19th century was the rebirth of the bronze nub and the invention steel
    nub... both of which were a tad better than quills esp the steel nub
    which was more flexable. Probally the most common forumlation was lamp
    black and kerosene, but just solvent including water would do well..
    ..it just so happened to be the by product of kerosene lamps so might as
    well save your self a trip and use kerosene with the waste to make ink.
    It wasn't until 1867 that the first patent for a fountain pen was
    granted in america... one of the major stumbling blocks was unlike quil
    or nub pens corosive ink would cause most things to decay and the pen
    wouldn't work anymore. This is where OEM ink was born. Later on in
    that century we had the stylographic pens.... while not so good for
    calligraphy were perfect for technical writing. these were basicly
    hollow pens with a port near the base that you could use an eye dropper
    and a hollow tube at the end about .5mm in diamater.. small enough so
    the 10 to 15 drops of ink would be held in place by surface tention but
    large enough that ink would flow out of the pen when you wrote. These
    worked ok with lamp black based inks so long as you used a sewing
    needle to clean them out from time to time. The really nice self
    filling pens were mass produced early 20th century known as the
    crescent filling... as well as the very popular cartridge filled pens
    by Sheaffer. This was the apex of the OEM ink market... while you
    could refil those Sheaffer cartidges, it was a pain in the tookus.
    Later on in the last part of the first quarter of the 20th century came
    the Pelikan piston filling pens which were far easier than the crescent
    fillers but these were for odd ball tinkerers that didn't want to pay
    extra for ink cartidges. As an added bonus Pelikan actually worked
    well with pigmented ink.and got a few patents on their exclusive ink
    forumlation. You could save a few bucks going with an international
    cartidge by the likes of Bexley or Tombrow, but you the consumer ran
    the risk of clogging your pen esp if you used pigmented inks in a pen
    that simply wasn't designed for it. It was rumored that all the ink
    came pretty much from the same place, but there was always someone who
    felt that buying Sheaffer ink for a Sheaffer pen was the best and only
    solution.

    So remember kids... when using your fountain pen remember when you
    charge cartidges always purge the old ink first by removing the nib and
    plaing it under lukewarm water and whip dry. Keep your nibs free from
    dust and dirt. Remember the nib structure and ink delivery system are
    complex and require the use of OEM to prevent clogging. This assures
    long live and instant readiness. Avoid jarring or shaking your pen and
    be sure that the cap is on right when it is not in use. The best way
    to carry your pen is nib pointing upwards.

    But was it branded or unbranded India ink and did they state what the
    formulation was? And besides that, didn't everyone know that refilling a
    fountain pen was a pain in the a**? <g>
    --
    Ron

    Ron Cohen wrote:
    > But was it branded or unbranded India ink and did they state what the
    > formulation was? And besides that, didn't everyone know that refilling a
    > fountain pen was a pain in the a**? <g>

    hehehe...I doubt it.
    Frank

    Do not worry too much about the fact that the colour cartridge has
    three colours and that any one can run out ahead of the others. If
    other HP cartridges are the same as those for the 6122, the ink is
    held in a spongy material in the colour cartridges. You can fill
    these cartridges very easily if you go slowly. Do not forget to
    leave a vent for each compartment. I leave the HP vented plugs in
    position and drill a hole into each compartment for filling. After
    filling I cover each of these holes with plastic tape.

    Filling the black cartridges is quite another story! Not really
    difficult once you ahve grasped the cunning pressure control system.
    For sealing the black cartridges I recommend gripping the sides of
    the case with a clamp to reduce the volume of the reservoir then
    sealing the filling hole with a small piece of plastic tape covered
    over and sealed round the edges with epoxy resin. When the resin
    has hardened, remove the clamp and a slight vacuum is produced
    internally. It works.

    Peter

    Ron Cohen wrote:

    >The bulk mailing industry makes extensive use of high speed inkjet printing.
    >Notice how address information on magazines is prone to smearing if it gets
    >wet.
    >
    >Now about those 19th century post offices that sold ink for mailing. Was it
    >OEM ink or some unbranded aftermarket third party ink where they wouldn't
    >tell the mailer the formulation of the ink or who made it? Were the nibs on
    >the pens OEM or aftermarket and was any of the ink sold through a mail order
    >catalog and did they state who made the ink and was it a brand name? <g>

    IT WAS A NIB ON YOU FINDER AFTER YOU REMOVED IS FROM YOUR UNDERSIDE AND
    GAVE IT A SNIFF ;-)

    measekite wrote:

    > Ron Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> The bulk mailing industry makes extensive use of high speed inkjet
    >> printing. Notice how address information on magazines is prone to
    >> smearing if it gets wet.
    >>
    >> Now about those 19th century post offices that sold ink for mailing.
    >> Was it OEM ink or some unbranded aftermarket third party ink where
    >> they wouldn't tell the mailer the formulation of the ink or who made
    >> it? Were the nibs on the pens OEM or aftermarket and was any of the
    >> ink sold through a mail order catalog and did they state who made the
    >> ink and was it a brand name? <g>
    >>

    > IT WAS A NIB ON YOU FINDER AFTER YOU REMOVED IS FROM YOUR UNDERSIDE AND
    > GAVE IT A SNIFF ;-)

    hahahaha...abuse@prodigy.net. You'll never learn cause you're a
    certified moron and a complete idiot. You ISP will be the enforcer for
    your bullshit psycho postings.
    Gott'ca!
    Frank

    Frank wrote:

    > Ron Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> The bulk mailing industry makes extensive use of high speed inkjet
    >> printing. Notice how address information on magazines is prone to
    >> smearing if it gets wet.
    >>
    >> Now about those 19th century post offices that sold ink for mailing.
    >> Was it OEM ink or some unbranded aftermarket third party ink where
    >> they wouldn't tell the mailer the formulation of the ink or who made
    >> it? Were the nibs on the pens OEM or aftermarket and was any of the
    >> ink sold through a mail order catalog and did they state who made the
    >> ink and was it a brand name? <g>
    >

    > I believe at that point in time all ink came from India (pronounced
    > in-giah). :-)
    > Frank

    WHY DON'T YOU GO THERE

    Ron Cohen wrote:

    >But was it branded or unbranded India ink and did they state what the
    >formulation was? And besides that, didn't everyone know that refilling a
    >fountain pen was a pain in the a**? <g>

    I THINK YOU SHOULD USE AN AFTERMARKET CONDOM

    measekite wrote:

    > Ron Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> But was it branded or unbranded India ink and did they state what the
    >> formulation was? And besides that, didn't everyone know that
    >> refilling a fountain pen was a pain in the a**? <g>
    >>

    > I THINK YOU SHOULD USE AN AFTERMARKET CONDOM

    Thanks. abuse@prodigy.net
    Got any more you moron.
    Frank

    Frank wrote:

    > Ron Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> But was it branded or unbranded India ink and did they state what the
    >> formulation was? And besides that, didn't everyone know that
    >> refilling a fountain pen was a pain in the a**? <g>
    >

    > hehehe...I doubt it.
    > Frank

    hehehe...I doubt it. OR HAHAHA...I doubt it.

    Peter wrote:

    >Do not worry too much about the fact that the colour cartridge has
    >three colours and that any one can run out ahead of the others. If
    >other HP cartridges are the same as those for the 6122, the ink is
    >held in a spongy material in the colour cartridges. You can fill
    >these cartridges very easily if you go slowly.

    BAD ADVICE. A REAL MESSY PAIN IN THE ASS. AND IF IT LEAKS IN YOUR PRINTER

    GREAT GOGAMOOGA LET ME OTTA HERE

    >Do not forget to
    >leave a vent for each compartment. I leave the HP vented plugs in
    >position and drill a hole

    USE A CONDOM BEFORE YOU DRILL THE HOLE

    >into each compartment for filling. After
    >filling I cover each of these holes with plastic tape.
    >
    >Filling the black cartridges is quite another story! Not really
    >difficult once you ahve grasped the cunning pressure control system.
    >For sealing the black cartridges I recommend gripping the sides of
    >the case with a clamp to reduce the volume of the reservoir then
    >sealing the filling hole with a small piece of plastic tape covered
    >over and sealed round the edges with epoxy resin. When the resin
    >has hardened, remove the clamp and a slight vacuum is produced
    >internally. It works.

    BOY THE PAIN IN THE ASS AND MESS IS GROWING

    measekite wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Do not worry too much about the fact that the colour cartridge has
    >> three colours and that any one can run out ahead of the others. If
    >> other HP cartridges are the same as those for the 6122, the ink is
    >> held in a spongy material in the colour cartridges. You can fill
    >> these cartridges very easily if you go slowly.
    >

    > BAD ADVICE. A REAL MESSY PAIN IN THE ASS. AND IF IT LEAKS IN YOUR PRINTER
    >
    > GREAT GOGAMOOGA LET ME OTTA HERE
    >
    >> Do not forget to
    >> leave a vent for each compartment. I leave the HP vented plugs in
    >> position and drill a hole
    >
    > USE A CONDOM BEFORE YOU DRILL THE HOLE
    >
    >> into each compartment for filling. After
    >> filling I cover each of these holes with plastic tape.
    >>
    >> Filling the black cartridges is quite another story! Not really
    >> difficult once you ahve grasped the cunning pressure control system.
    >> For sealing the black cartridges I recommend gripping the sides of
    >> the case with a clamp to reduce the volume of the reservoir then
    >> sealing the filling hole with a small piece of plastic tape covered
    >> over and sealed round the edges with epoxy resin. When the resin
    >> has hardened, remove the clamp and a slight vacuum is produced
    >> internally. It works.
    >>

    > BOY THE PAIN IN THE ASS AND MESS IS GROWING
    >
    >> Peter
    >> On 28 Jul 2005 02:17:16 -0700, "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>> HP: OK... more expensive.
    >>> But from my experience, I'd argue that they still have the best
    >>> printers.
    >>> Fast printing, good quality and also importantly for me: quiter than
    >>> most other makes.
    >>> But... my only gripe with HP is that for most of the lower spec models,
    >>> you only have two ink cartridges.
    >>> So... if the red goes completely... time to change regardless of the
    >>> other colours.
    >>> If I use compatible inks... how does it compare with other printers in
    >>> terms of costs??
    >>>
    >>> Any feedback would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >>> OM

    We all see that you're wacko again you pathetic loser.
    Get lost.
    We don't need your kind.
    Frank

    OM wrote:

    > HP: OK... more expensive.
    > But from my experience, I'd argue that they still have the
    > best printers.
    > Fast printing, good quality and also importantly for me:
    > quiter than most other makes.
    > But... my only gripe with HP is that for most of the lower
    > spec models, you only have two ink cartridges.
    > So... if the red goes completely... time to change regardless
    > of the other colours.
    > If I use compatible inks... how does it compare with other
    > printers in terms of costs??
    >
    > Any feedback would be appreciated.

    After buying a new Epson RX630 with 6 carts, I find that I
    prefer to use my old 2-cart HP 710c Deskjet for a number of
    reasons.

    I believe that printing is cheaper on the HP. The Epson purges
    too much ink from all carts regularly. Ink usage is more even
    than I anticipated over the 5 colour carts. And because a
    major purge happens on _any_ cart replacement, it pays to
    replace all low carts at the same time anyway.

    I read about Epson's new waterproof inks, but found out after
    buying the RX630 that it uses dye-based ink. This makes it
    absolutely useless for printing envelopes in my opinion. A
    little water, and the printing is _absolutely_ unreadable. In
    this respect, it's the worst printer I've ever used and I'm
    sorry I bought it.

    I mainly use greyscale on the HP to save the colour cart. And I
    refill the black cart with Inktec ink a few times before buying
    a new HP 45 cart. The Inktec refill system is great - easy to
    use, no spillage, and the ink is waterproof and at least as
    good as the genuine HP. I had previously tried a Calidad
    refill, and found it unsatisfactory in all respects:
    ease-of-use, print quality, and waterproofness.

    I have now purchased an Inktec colour refill kit for the HP, but
    haven't used it yet so I can't comment on it meaningfully.

    John

    In article <3ksaflFumq92U1@individual.net>, John Henderson
    <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote:

    > I read about Epson's new waterproof inks, but found out after
    > buying the RX630 that it uses dye-based ink. This makes it
    > absolutely useless for printing envelopes in my opinion. A
    > little water, and the printing is _absolutely_ unreadable. In
    > this respect, it's the worst printer I've ever used and I'm
    > sorry I bought it.

    John-

    You may be too young to remember when the ball-point pen replaced the
    older fountain pen in common useage. With the fountain pen, there was
    every bit as much a problem of water damage as with any inkjet printer
    today, yet the mail system survived!

    Mail is not normally exposed to water unless you have a leaky mailbox.

    By the way, have you tested samples from the RX630? Some dye-based inks
    are better than others when exposed to water.

    Fred

    Frank wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >

    >> Ron Cohen wrote:
    >>
    >>> But was it branded or unbranded India ink and did they state what
    >>> the formulation was? And besides that, didn't everyone know that
    >>> refilling a fountain pen was a pain in the a**? <g>
    >>>

    >> I THINK YOU SHOULD USE AN AFTERMARKET CONDOM
    >

    > Thanks. abuse@prodigy.net
    > Got any more you moron.
    > Frank

    Thanks. abuse@earthlink.net
    Got any more you moron.

    hehehehehe...abuse@earthlink.net. You'll never learn cause you're a

    Frank wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >

    >> Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do not worry too much about the fact that the colour cartridge has
    >>> three colours and that any one can run out ahead of the others. If
    >>> other HP cartridges are the same as those for the 6122, the ink is
    >>> held in a spongy material in the colour cartridges. You can fill
    >>> these cartridges very easily if you go slowly.
    >>

    >> BAD ADVICE. A REAL MESSY PAIN IN THE ASS. AND IF IT LEAKS IN YOUR
    >> PRINTER
    >>
    >> GREAT GOGAMOOGA LET ME OTTA HERE
    >>
    >>> Do not forget to
    >>> leave a vent for each compartment. I leave the HP vented plugs in
    >>> position and drill a hole
    >>

    >> USE A CONDOM BEFORE YOU DRILL THE HOLE
    >>
    >>> into each compartment for filling. After
    >>> filling I cover each of these holes with plastic tape.
    >>>
    >>> Filling the black cartridges is quite another story! Not really
    >>> difficult once you ahve grasped the cunning pressure control system.
    >>> For sealing the black cartridges I recommend gripping the sides of
    >>> the case with a clamp to reduce the volume of the reservoir then
    >>> sealing the filling hole with a small piece of plastic tape covered
    >>> over and sealed round the edges with epoxy resin. When the resin
    >>> has hardened, remove the clamp and a slight vacuum is produced
    >>> internally. It works.
    >>>

    >> BOY THE PAIN IN THE ASS AND MESS IS GROWING
    >>
    >>> Peter

    > We all see that you're wacko again you pathetic loser.
    > Get lost.
    > We don't need your kind.
    > Frank

    We all see that you're wacko again you pathetic loser.
    Get lost.
    We don't need your kind.

    The 97 ink cart contains 14 ml of ink for the whole cart and not each
    color, and the 100 grey cart is notorious for driking ink at a rapid
    rate, hence why even with ink purges, Epson and Canon are far more
    cost-effective than HP.

> [...]
    > the risk of clogging your pen esp if you used pigmented inks in a pen
    > that simply wasn't designed for it. It was rumored that all the ink
    > came pretty much from the same place, but there was always someone who
    > felt that buying Sheaffer ink for a Sheaffer pen was the best and only
    > solution.
    >
    > So remember kids... when using your fountain pen remember when you
    > charge cartidges always purge the old ink first by removing the nib and
    > plaing it under lukewarm water and whip dry. Keep your nibs free from
    > dust and dirt. Remember the nib structure and ink delivery system are
    > complex and require the use of OEM to prevent clogging. This assures
    > long live and instant readiness. Avoid jarring or shaking your pen and
    > be sure that the cap is on right when it is not in use. The best way
    > to carry your pen is nib pointing upwards.

    And for sure, you don't want to have one of those early fountain pens in
    your shirt pocket when you take a flight somewhere.

  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <AoeGe.2043$kk6.620@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    inkystinky@oem.com (measekite the troll) wrote:

    > BAD ADVICE. A REAL MESSY PAIN IN THE ASS.

    As you've never refilled a cartridge, or so you keep telling us, how would
    you know?

    Jon.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Jon O'Brien wrote:

    >In article <AoeGe.2043$kk6.620@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    >inkystinky@oem.com (measekite the troll) wrote:
    >

    >>BAD ADVICE. A REAL MESSY PAIN IN THE ASS.
    >>

    >As you've never refilled a cartridge, or so you keep telling us, how would
    >you know?
    >
    >Jon.

    I AM A CLARA VOY ANT
  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    >"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>>Now about those 19th century post offices that sold ink for mailing. Was
    >>>it
    >>>OEM ink or some unbranded aftermarket third party ink where they wouldn't
    >>>tell the mailer the formulation of the ink or who made it?
    >>>

    >>19th century was the rebirth of the bronze nub and the invention steel
    >>nub... both of which were a tad better than quills esp the steel nub
    >>which was more flexable. Probally the most common forumlation was lamp
    >>black and kerosene, but just solvent including water would do well..
    >>.it just so happened to be the by product of kerosene lamps so might as
    >>well save your self a trip and use kerosene with the waste to make ink.
    >>It wasn't until 1867 that the first patent for a fountain pen was
    >>granted in america...

    HE HAD THE FIRST ONE

    >>one of the major stumbling blocks was unlike quil
    >>or nub pens corosive ink would cause most things to decay and the pen
    >>wouldn't work anymore. This is where OEM ink was born. Later on in
    >>that century we had the stylographic pens.... while not so good for
    >>calligraphy were perfect for technical writing. these were basicly
    >>hollow pens with a port near the base that you could use an eye dropper
    >>and a hollow tube at the end about .5mm in diamater.. small enough so
    >>the 10 to 15 drops of ink would be held in place by surface tention but
    >>large enough that ink would flow out of the pen when you wrote. These
    >>worked ok with lamp black based inks so long as you used a sewing
    >>needle to clean them out from time to time. The really nice self
    >>filling pens were mass produced early 20th century known as the
    >>crescent filling... as well as the very popular cartridge filled pens
    >>by Sheaffer. This was the apex of the OEM ink market... while you
    >>could refil those Sheaffer cartidges, it was a pain in the tookus.
    >>Later on in the last part of the first quarter of the 20th century came
    >>the Pelikan piston filling pens which were far easier than the crescent
    >>fillers but these were for odd ball tinkerers that didn't want to pay
    >>extra for ink cartidges. As an added bonus Pelikan actually worked
    >>well with pigmented ink.and got a few patents on their exclusive ink
    >>forumlation. You could save a few bucks going with an international
    >>cartidge by the likes of Bexley or Tombrow, but you the consumer ran
    >>the risk of clogging your pen esp if you used pigmented inks in a pen
    >>that simply wasn't designed for it. It was rumored that all the ink
    >>came pretty much from the same place, but there was always someone who
    >>felt that buying Sheaffer ink for a Sheaffer pen was the best and only
    >>solution.
    >>
    >>So remember kids... when using your fountain pen remember when you
    >>charge cartidges always purge the old ink first by removing the nib and
    >>plaing it under lukewarm water and whip dry. Keep your nibs free from
    >>dust and dirt. Remember the nib structure and ink delivery system are
    >>complex and require the use of OEM to prevent clogging. This assures
    >>long live and instant readiness. Avoid jarring or shaking your pen and
    >>be sure that the cap is on right when it is not in use. The best way
    >>to carry your pen is nib pointing upwards.
    >>

    >And for sure, you don't want to have one of those early fountain pens in
    >your shirt pocket when you take a flight somewhere.

  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Fred McKenzie wrote:

    > In article <3ksaflFumq92U1@individual.net>, John Henderson
    > <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I read about Epson's new waterproof inks, but found out after
    >> buying the RX630 that it uses dye-based ink. This makes it
    >> absolutely useless for printing envelopes in my opinion. A
    >> little water, and the printing is _absolutely_ unreadable.
    >> In this respect, it's the worst printer I've ever used and
    >> I'm sorry I bought it.
    >
    > John-
    >
    > You may be too young to remember when the ball-point pen
    > replaced the older fountain pen in common useage. With the
    > fountain pen, there was every bit as much a problem of water
    > damage as with any inkjet printer today, yet the mail system
    > survived!
    >
    > Mail is not normally exposed to water unless you have a leaky
    > mailbox.
    >
    > By the way, have you tested samples from the RX630? Some
    > dye-based inks are better than others when exposed to water.

    Yes, the Calidad black cart I'm trying at the moment at least
    remains readable after I've dampened it, unlike the ink from
    the Epson cart.

    I do remember the introduction of ball-point pens, and your
    point about different formulations applies to fountain pen ink
    too. IIRC, some carbon-black inks were pretty good, even if
    they had a tendency to clog the nib (must have been aftermarket
    inks, as Ron says in his delightful post).

    John
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote in message
    > Fred McKenzie wrote:
    >
    >> In article <3ksaflFumq92U1@individual.net>, John Henderson
    >> <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I read about Epson's new waterproof inks, but found out after
    >>> buying the RX630 that it uses dye-based ink. This makes it
    >>> absolutely useless for printing envelopes in my opinion. A
    >>> little water, and the printing is _absolutely_ unreadable.
    >>> In this respect, it's the worst printer I've ever used and
    >>> I'm sorry I bought it.
    >>
    >> John-
    >>
    >> You may be too young to remember when the ball-point pen
    >> replaced the older fountain pen in common useage. With the
    >> fountain pen, there was every bit as much a problem of water
    >> damage as with any inkjet printer today, yet the mail system
    >> survived!
    >>
    >> Mail is not normally exposed to water unless you have a leaky
    >> mailbox.
    >>
    >> By the way, have you tested samples from the RX630? Some
    >> dye-based inks are better than others when exposed to water.
    >
    > Yes, the Calidad black cart I'm trying at the moment at least
    > remains readable after I've dampened it, unlike the ink from
    > the Epson cart.
    >
    > I do remember the introduction of ball-point pens, and your
    > point about different formulations applies to fountain pen ink
    > too. IIRC, some carbon-black inks were pretty good, even if
    > they had a tendency to clog the nib (must have been aftermarket
    > inks, as Ron says in his delightful post).
    >
    > John

    John - where might one buy aftermarket Lamp Black for formulating In-Jah
    ink???
  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    >"John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>Fred McKenzie wrote:

    >>>John-
    >>>
    >>>You may be too young to remember when the ball-point pen
    >>>replaced the older fountain pen in common useage. With the
    >>>fountain pen, there was every bit as much a problem of water
    >>>damage as with any inkjet printer today, yet the mail system
    >>>survived!
    >>>
    >>>Mail is not normally exposed to water unless you have a leaky
    >>>mailbox.
    >>>
    >>>By the way, have you tested samples from the RX630? Some
    >>>dye-based inks are better than others when exposed to water.
    >>>

    >>Yes, the Calidad black cart I'm trying at the moment at least
    >>remains readable after I've dampened it, unlike the ink from
    >>the Epson cart.
    >>
    >>I do remember the introduction of ball-point pens, and your
    >>point about different formulations applies to fountain pen ink
    >>too. IIRC, some carbon-black inks were pretty good, even if
    >>they had a tendency to clog the nib (must have been aftermarket
    >>inks, as Ron says in his delightful post).
    >>
    >>John
    >>

    >John - where might one buy aftermarket Lamp Black for formulating In-Jah
    >ink???

    WHY DON'T YOU GOTO INJAH

  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >> "John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, the Calidad black cart I'm trying at the moment at least
    >>> remains readable after I've dampened it, unlike the ink from
    >>> the Epson cart.
    >>>
    >>> I do remember the introduction of ball-point pens, and your
    >>> point about different formulations applies to fountain pen ink
    >>> too. IIRC, some carbon-black inks were pretty good, even if
    >>> they had a tendency to clog the nib (must have been aftermarket
    >>> inks, as Ron says in his delightful post).
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> John - where might one buy aftermarket Lamp Black for formulating
    >> In-Jah ink???
    >>

    > WHY DON'T YOU GOTO INJAH

    Why don't you go to where the sun don't shine.
    Frank
  32. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >>"John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote in message

    >>>Yes, the Calidad black cart I'm trying at the moment at least
    >>>remains readable after I've dampened it, unlike the ink from
    >>>the Epson cart.
    >>>
    >>>I do remember the introduction of ball-point pens, and your
    >>>point about different formulations applies to fountain pen ink
    >>>too. IIRC, some carbon-black inks were pretty good, even if
    >>>they had a tendency to clog the nib (must have been aftermarket
    >>>inks, as Ron says in his delightful post).
    >>>
    >>>John
    >>>

    >>John - where might one buy aftermarket Lamp Black for formulating In-Jah
    >>ink???
    >
    > WHY DON'T YOU GOTO INJAH

    Been there, done that. Probably before you were born (or hatched???).

  33. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Frank wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >

    >> Burt wrote:
    >>
    >>> "John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote in message

    >>> John - where might one buy aftermarket Lamp Black for formulating
    >>> In-Jah ink???
    >>

    >> WHY DON'T YOU GOTO INJAH
    >>

    > Why don't you go to where the sun don't shine.
    > Frank

    Why don't you go to where the sun don't shine. You mean inbetween your
    mothers legs
  34. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    > John - where might one buy aftermarket Lamp Black for
    > formulating In-Jah ink???

    21st century now - let's go straight to bucky-ball ink :)

    John
  35. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Got any other stereotyped views you want to air?

    Sure... Washington :D
  36. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > The 97 ink cart contains 14 ml of ink for the whole cart and not each
    > color, and the 100 grey cart is notorious for driking ink at a rapid
    > rate, hence why even with ink purges, Epson and Canon are far more
    > cost-effective than HP.

    Really are you sure? I don't have any infomration to back up my
    statement other than the fact it's listed as having a yield of 450p...
    which would sugest a volume of higher than 4.6ml each color. I'm all
    for being corrected on this issue... but the numbers sugest a larger
    valume.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <1122602969.847565.156890@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    zakezuke_us@yahoo.com (zakezuke) wrote:

    > > Why don't you go to where the sun don't shine.

    > England?

    Got any other stereotyped views you want to air?

    [Climbs into Handsome Cab and drives off through the fog to meet Sherlock
    Homes, calling out "Oh, awfully top hole, old bean! Rather!" to a passing
    Bow Street runner arresting a gin-sodden Artful Dodger]

    Jon.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    tyranix95@hotmail.com wrote:

    >The 97 ink cart contains 14 ml of ink for the whole cart and not each
    >color, and the 100 grey cart is notorious for driking ink at a rapid
    >rate, hence why even with ink purges, Epson and Canon are far more
    >cost-effective than HP.

    CANON IS MORE COST EFFECTIVE THEN ALL OF THE OTHER INKJETS.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Jon O'Brien <Jon@noonlyspambrowsingthanx.com> wrote:
    > In article <1122602969.847565.156890@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > zakezuke_us@yahoo.com (zakezuke) wrote:
    >
    > > > Why don't you go to where the sun don't shine.
    >
    > > England?
    >
    > Got any other stereotyped views you want to air?
    >
    > [Climbs into Handsome Cab and drives off through the fog to meet Sherlock

    It's a Hansom cab (I hope that's the right spelling!), named after the
    chap who invented/introduced them I believe.

    > Homes, calling out "Oh, awfully top hole, old bean! Rather!" to a passing
    > Bow Street runner arresting a gin-sodden Artful Dodger]

    .... and it's Holmes, though I suspect that's just a typo. :-)

    I don't really think Holmes would say anything quite like that either.

    --
    Chris Green
  40. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=C9363WN

    Note:

    HP 97 Tri-color Inkjet Print Cartridge with Vivera Inks

    Specifications:
    Ink volume: 14 ml
  41. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <3kuvdoF10a1k8U1@individual.net>, usenet@isbd.co.uk () wrote:

    > It's a Hansom cab (I hope that's the right spelling!)...

    It is. However, since they haven't been in use in the UK for over a
    hundred years, I'd forgotten. :-)

    > ... and it's Holmes, though I suspect that's just a typo. :-)

    It was (ash in keyboard means many keys don't always work first time!).

    > I don't really think Holmes would say anything quite like that either.

    Neither would any English person, even in the days when each element might
    have been used by one person. In case you hadn't realised it, I'm English
    and that was supposed be a /reductio ad absurdum/ conglomeration of the
    stereotypical images of England held by the kind of people who think that
    it's always raining in England and that the sun never shines here.

    And that was supposed to have been me saying it, while on my way to see
    SH.

    Toodle-pip!

    Jon.
  42. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:
    > HP PRINTERS ARE GENERALLY VERY GOOD. STAY AWAY FROM THE MODELS THAT
    > HAVE 3 CARTS WITH ONLY 2 CART SLOTS. YOU WILL BE PLAYING MUSICAL CARTS.
    >
    > I ALSO HAVE A CANON IP4000. IT IS BETTER ON PHOTOS AND ALMOST AS GOOD
    > ON BUSINESS DOCUMENTS BUT MUCH FASTER ON BOTH AND MUCH CHEAPER TO RUN.
    > IT ALSO HAS TWIN PAPER FEEDS AND BOTH PROVIDE ME WITH DUPLEX PRINTING.

    HELLO ANYBODY THERE?
  43. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I'm here but a bit deafened by all the shouting. An HP like my 5550 that is
    a 3 into 2 job still starts up and sorts it out quicker after a swap than an
    Epson does at switch on, so it's not a real big hassle just a minor one.
    Anyway, it's still possible to print some text out with the photo cartridges
    in, it just won't be as dark.
  44. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Those models are a pain in the ass. The only HP that I think is good is
    the one that takes 3 working carts.

    SteveB wrote:

    >I'm here but a bit deafened by all the shouting. An HP like my 5550 that is
    >a 3 into 2 job still starts up and sorts it out quicker after a swap than an
    >Epson does at switch on, so it's not a real big hassle just a minor one.
    >Anyway, it's still possible to print some text out with the photo cartridges
    >in, it just won't be as dark.

  45. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <ksrGe.2392$kk6.1185@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    inkystinky@oem.com (measekite) wrote:

    > Those models are a pain in the ass. The only HP that I think is good
    > is the one that takes 3 working carts.

    Hey, measekite! Someone with an IQ in double figures has hacked your
    account!

    Jon.
  46. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Jon O'Brien wrote:

    >In article <ksrGe.2392$kk6.1185@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    >inkystinky@oem.com (measekite) wrote:
    >

    >>Those models are a pain in the ass. The only HP that I think is good
    >>is the one that takes 3 working carts.
    >>

    >Hey, measekite! Someone with an IQ in double figures has hacked your
    >account!
    >
    >Jon.

    YOU ARE SO STUPID
  47. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > HP 97 Tri-color Inkjet Print Cartridge with Vivera Inks
    > Specifications:
    > Ink volume: 14 ml

    I'm aware it's 14... but is it 14ml*3 or 14ml/3. The reason I think
    it's 14*3 is because they estimate the yield as being 450p... which
    sounds high for only 4.6ml of CM and Y ink.

    Actually 14ml sounds small for 450pages but possible.

    Given the fact that the old #45 cart could hold 42ml of ink, I could
    see how even with seperated chambers they could fit three 14ml chambers
    in the cart.
  48. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Peter" <please.reply@news.group> wrote in message
    > On 29 Jul 2005 00:57:57 -0700, "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com>

    (snip)

    > Thank you ZakeZuke!
    >
    > It is good to see someone getting the thread back on course. It is
    > a pain in the neck the way that some people contribute little except
    > an insight into their ignorance.
    >
    > Incidentally I have refilled cartridges for over five years with
    > never a leak into a printer. Nevertheless, newspaper on the table,
    > tissues at hand and a pair of rubber gloves are sensible precautions
    > when doing the filling - Even when relatively skilled and rarely
    > spilling a drop of ink!
    >
    > Peter

    Interesting to me that there are so many people popping up on the NG who
    have been refilling or using aftermarket inks/carts successfully for many
    years. Pretty much shoots down the resident troll's constant upper-case
    diatribe against aftermarket products and refilling carts. I've just
    killfiled him for good as I'm tired of seeing his insulting, childish,
    uninformed responses.
  49. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    >"Peter" <please.reply@news.group> wrote in message
    >

    >>On 29 Jul 2005 00:57:57 -0700, "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com>
    >>

    >(snip)
    >

    >>Thank you ZakeZuke!
    >>
    >>It is good to see someone getting the thread back on course. It is
    >>a pain in the neck the way that some people contribute little except
    >>an insight into their ignorance.
    >>
    >>Incidentally I have refilled cartridges for over five years with
    >>never a leak into a printer. Nevertheless, newspaper on the table,
    >>tissues at hand and a pair of rubber gloves are sensible precautions
    >>when doing the filling - Even when relatively skilled and rarely
    >>spilling a drop of ink!
    >>
    >>Peter
    >>

    >Interesting to me that there are so many people popping up on the NG who
    >have been refilling or using aftermarket inks/carts successfully for many
    >years. Pretty much shoots down the resident troll's constant upper-case
    >diatribe against aftermarket products and refilling carts. I've just
    >killfiled him for good as I'm tired of seeing his insulting, childish,
    >uninformed responses.

    THIS MAN JUST TOLD LIES

Printers Hewlett Packard Compatibility Peripherals Product