Need help about(RAID)-A8N SLI deluxe

aakashsharma191

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Hello i have a motheroard A8N SLI Deluxe which jhas two raid controllers
1)Silicon raid contorller
2)nVIDIA raid controller

I have two HDD one is Seagate sata 160GB barracudda and the other SEAGATE PATA 40Gb

I want to use these raid controllers.CAN I USE THEM??

And one more thing I have wireless desktop of microsoft(KEYboard+mouse).If i restart my machine directly from the chasis THE POST says(NO KEYBOARD DETECTED)

Please solve my problem

mizlplix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I also have that board.

Those are SATA controllers, not RAID. SATA is a hardware thing, RAID is how it is configured. Make sure your HD's are SATA type. Also, if you do type 1, 2, 3 or 4-you will only get 80 MB usage because the larger HD will only match the smaller one (40MB). Only if you do the BOD option will you get the full amount of storage (then it is really not a true RAID).

OK, then: I use the SIlicon Image controller (red plugs)

1. Make SI RAID driver disk. (from your MoBo disc.)
2. Connect the disks to the SATA and power cables.
3. Insert Win XP disk & BOOT, in CMOS enable the SI option, exit & save CMOS. Continuing boot...hit the button when prompted to put in the RAID driver.
4. Install XP, install & configure everything else.

That is pretty much it.

I use RAID O. Yes, I have had to rebuild it twice in 6 months due to glitches.

Mirrored and striped is really best if you have the space.

GL, mizlplix

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Hello i have a motheroard A8N SLI Deluxe which jhas two raid controllers
1)Silicon raid contorller
2)nVIDIA raid controller

I have two HDD one is Seagate sata 160GB barracudda and the other SEAGATE PATA 40Gb

I want to use these raid controllers.CAN I USE THEM??

And one more thing I have wireless desktop of microsoft(KEYboard+mouse).If i restart my machine directly from the chasis THE POST says(NO KEYBOARD DETECTED)

Please solve my problem

To utilize RAID you need at least two drives of the same size and type.

In your BIOS, there should be a keyboard detect setting. Set it to disabled if your using USB.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
The NV controller is faster than the SI controller, plus they seem to be more reliable.

You can put any drive(s) into a RAID array but like previously posted, with either of these implimentations you won't get all your capacity. You should probably google RAID and read up on it before thinking about using it.

You can use both controllers for NON-RAID drives, just disable RAID in the BIOS and use then as standard SATA controllers.

aakashsharma191

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Well i have only one sata 160GB seagate HDD CAN I DO WITH THAT

when i boot into windows sometimes the progress bar stops and again starts and then it takes nearly 5 min to go into the logon screen.

I have recently bought this motherboard eagerly with an nvidia 7600GT and i am afraid of these problems.

PLEASE HELP

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Sure you can put a single HD into a RAID0 but it won't do you any good. The only way to get any benefit from a RAID array is to use multiple drives, hence the Array part of RAID. If it takes windows 5 minutes to boot you probably have other issues to worry about. Spyware, virus', that kinda stuff. I don't think you understand what RAID is.

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID