Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help before I consider my Processor DOA...please

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 27, 2006 6:37:59 PM

I am having a problem with my new pc build. Here is the problem. I ordered all my parts brand new from Newegg. I bought a:

ECS PF22 extreme motherboard ( Max memory supported 8GB DDR2 667 dual channel, 2 PCIe slots, 3 PCI slots, 6 SATA connectors, 2 LAN ports, etc..) I also bought a Pentium D 805 processor, a BFG 7900gt pcie GPU, 550 watt Maddog PSU, 2 WD HDD's, NEC DVD burner, Sony CD-RW, 1GB stick DDR2 667 RAM, for cooling my processor I have a Big Typhoon heatsink.

I installed everything and my computer doesnt even post, so I took my brothers P4 processor with everything else set up the same and it works perfectly fine. I know my motherboard supports the Pentium D 805 (if anyone wants they can verify that, just to make sure lol), I read the manual and even checked the website just to make sure. When I have the PD in I touch my heatsink and it is barely warm. My question is should I just consider this Processor DOA or is there anything I can try or need to do for this motherboard to accept this processor? I just want to make sure I have done everything possible before I pack it up and send it back for a replacement, cause im just worried now that if I get a new one it might do the same thing. Is it common for processors to be DOA, Ive built many PC's and never had this problem.

Thank you for any response!

More about : processor doa

August 27, 2006 7:13:03 PM

Well I thought it was kind of odd also, but Ive checked the power plugs, I have even switched processors, like I said I switched processors and everything worked perfectly fine (mobo, vid card, RAM, etc) then I put the pentium D in and nothing....here is the exact specs of the motherboard just to clarify that it will work with that Pentium D:

CPU
LGA775 socket for Intel® Pentium 4/ Pentium D/ Pentium Extreme
Edition/ Pentium 4 Extreme Edition processors
FSB 1066/800 MHz
Compatible with Intel® 05B/ 05A processors
Supports Dual-core processors with Hyper-Threading Technology
CHIPSET
Intel® 955X & ICH7R
North Bridge: Intel® 955X
South Bridge: Intel®ICH7R
MEMORY
Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture
4 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 8 GB
Support DDR2 533/667 DDR SDRAM
Support Intel® MPT (Intel® Memory Pipeline Technology)
EXPANSION SLOT
2 x PCI Express x16 slot (Orange : x16 mode, Blue : x4 mode)
2 x PCI Express x1 slot (x1 or diabled mode)
3 x PCI slots
*when use two PCI Express VGA card, this slot is disable
STORAGE
Supported by Intel®ICH7R
-- 2 x Ultra DMA100/66 devices
-- 4 x SATAII devices with Intel Matrix Storage
-- RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID 10 configuration
Supported by SiI3132
-- 2 x Serial ATA2 devices
-- RAID0, RAID1, PM and eSATA support
AUDIO
Realtek ALC880 8-channel audio CODEC
IEEE 1394a
VIA® VT6307, support 2x IEEE1394a ports
DUAL LAN
Intel® PC82573V Giga LAN Controller, support ASF2.0
Realtek RTL8110S Giga LAN Controller
REAR PANEL I/O
1 x PS/2 keyboard & PS/2 mouse connectors
4 x USB ports
2 x RJ45 LAN connectors
1 x 1394a port
1 x SPDIF out connector
1 x SPDIF in connector
1 x Serial port (COM1)
1 x FAN Duct
1 x Audio port (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in)
INTERNAL I/O CONNECTORS & HEADERS
1 x 24-pin ATX Power Supply connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V connector
1 x FDD connector supports two 360K~2.88MB FDDs
1 x IrDA for SIR header
1 x Auxiliary 4-pin +12V connector
1 x Speaker header
1 x IDE connector
1 x 1394a header
2 x USB 2.0 headers support additional 4 USB Ports
6 x Serial ATA connectors
1 x Front panel switch/LED header
1 x Front panel audio header
1 x 26-pin LPT header
CD in header
CPUFAN/NBFAN/SYSFAN connectors
SYSTEM BIOS
AMI BIOS with 4Mb Flash ROM
Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, APM 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI
Supports ACPI revision 1.0 specification
FORM FACTOR
ATX Size 305mm*244mm

this problem has really been bugging me that I cannot figure out whats wrong, any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply!
August 27, 2006 7:13:26 PM

Motherboard should work with the 805. I suggest you try to power on without the RAM installed to see if it will post.

Also, try updating the BIOS (using you brother's P4 obviously).

If that doesn't work, and it works with the P4, then it probably is a bad processor.
Related resources
August 27, 2006 7:15:48 PM

ok I will try flashing BIOS and see if that works (prays)...thanks


ok here's something interesting I just found...quted from the BIOS update section from my mobo....

BIOS Name BIOS for PF22
Version 051116
Release Date 2005/11/18
Update Description Fixed dual core can't work well.
Special Note
File Size 689KB

think that may just be the problem
August 27, 2006 8:52:28 PM

Quote:
Having said that, I have built numerous systems in my time, and one think I sometimes forget to do is plug in the 12 VDC 4 pic plug next to the CPU, if you forget to do this --- no POST, no boot, no nothing. The power supply turns on, fans hum, HD spin up but nothing.

Jack


My E6600 on the Asus mobo did the exact same thing. Fans spun, HDDs powered up, no post, no video.

Swapping the CPU for an older CPU and flashing the BIOS solved the problem, however the 805's been out for some time now, so I wouldnt suspect it would really be a BIOS issue for him.

Still, as a matter of setup, he should flash the BIOS anyway.

Peace
August 27, 2006 9:48:51 PM

ok so I flashed my BIOS and still nothing, its very odd becasue when I have the P4 chip in everything is fine, but when I put the new D chip in nothing shows (no post or anything) and my computer shuts itelf down every 10 seconds or so, its like the D chip is getting too hot or something and its shutting down the PC, but then it will start back up, it does this over and over again until I physically power down the PC. (yes I have enough thermal paste and the heatsink secure) So I guess I will write this down as DOA and get a box to send back to Newegg. If anyone else has suggestions I am open for them! Hopefully its not my motherboard not recognizing this processor, but I keep telling myself it cant be because on ECS website they said they have tested this mobo with this exact one....oh well...time to play the waiting game again...grrr...lol

Thanks for the replies!
August 27, 2006 9:52:15 PM

Quote:
Well I thought it was kind of odd also, but Ive checked the power plugs, I have even switched processors, like I said I switched processors and everything worked perfectly fine (mobo, vid card, RAM, etc) then I put the pentium D in and nothing....here is the exact specs of the motherboard just to clarify that it will work with that Pentium D:

CPU
LGA775 socket for Intel® Pentium 4/ Pentium D/ Pentium Extreme
Edition/ Pentium 4 Extreme Edition processors
FSB 1066/800 MHz
Compatible with Intel® 05B/ 05A processors
Supports Dual-core processors with Hyper-Threading Technology
CHIPSET
Intel® 955X & ICH7R
North Bridge: Intel® 955X
South Bridge: Intel®ICH7R
MEMORY
Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture
4 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 8 GB
Support DDR2 533/667 DDR SDRAM
Support Intel® MPT (Intel® Memory Pipeline Technology)
EXPANSION SLOT
2 x PCI Express x16 slot (Orange : x16 mode, Blue : x4 mode)
2 x PCI Express x1 slot (x1 or diabled mode)
3 x PCI slots
*when use two PCI Express VGA card, this slot is disable
STORAGE
Supported by Intel®ICH7R
-- 2 x Ultra DMA100/66 devices
-- 4 x SATAII devices with Intel Matrix Storage
-- RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID 10 configuration
Supported by SiI3132
-- 2 x Serial ATA2 devices
-- RAID0, RAID1, PM and eSATA support
AUDIO
Realtek ALC880 8-channel audio CODEC
IEEE 1394a
VIA® VT6307, support 2x IEEE1394a ports
DUAL LAN
Intel® PC82573V Giga LAN Controller, support ASF2.0
Realtek RTL8110S Giga LAN Controller
REAR PANEL I/O
1 x PS/2 keyboard & PS/2 mouse connectors
4 x USB ports
2 x RJ45 LAN connectors
1 x 1394a port
1 x SPDIF out connector
1 x SPDIF in connector
1 x Serial port (COM1)
1 x FAN Duct
1 x Audio port (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in)
INTERNAL I/O CONNECTORS & HEADERS
1 x 24-pin ATX Power Supply connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V connector
1 x FDD connector supports two 360K~2.88MB FDDs
1 x IrDA for SIR header
1 x Auxiliary 4-pin +12V connector
1 x Speaker header
1 x IDE connector
1 x 1394a header
2 x USB 2.0 headers support additional 4 USB Ports
6 x Serial ATA connectors
1 x Front panel switch/LED header
1 x Front panel audio header
1 x 26-pin LPT header
CD in header
CPUFAN/NBFAN/SYSFAN connectors
SYSTEM BIOS
AMI BIOS with 4Mb Flash ROM
Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, APM 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI
Supports ACPI revision 1.0 specification
FORM FACTOR
ATX Size 305mm*244mm

this problem has really been bugging me that I cannot figure out whats wrong, any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply!


And the FSb for the 805 is?
August 27, 2006 9:57:07 PM

After the flash, did you reset the bios, using the jumper?

Kinda sounds like memory timings are off.

Edit:

Ya the FSB should be 533, I see what Pat saying.
August 27, 2006 10:23:09 PM

Re-checking your mobos specs now & it does say it supports the 805.

When I checked your power supply, it says it's a 20-pin (ATX v1). You probably need the 24 pin (ATX v2).

Quote:
However, using 20-pin power cable may cause the system to become unbootable or unstable because of insufficient electricity.
August 27, 2006 11:18:06 PM

That PSU, by Mad Dog Multimedia, only has a 20-pin power connector while your motherboard uses a 24-pin ATX power connector. The 24 pin main power connector was added in ATX 12V 2.0 to provide extra power needed by PCI-Express slots. The 20 pin main power cable only has one 12 volt line. The new 24 pin connector added one line apiece for ground, 3.3, 5, and 12 volts. The extra 4 pins are not separate rails. They're just extra lines to provide more current to the same rails. you can plug a 20 pin cable into a 24 pin motherboard and it will work just fine. At least, it will for a while. They added those extra 4 pins for a reason. When you plug a 20 pin cable into a 24 pin connector you're not providing the extra current carrying capacity which may be needed by the motherboard. If your motherboard's current requirements are low enough then it will work properly with only a 20 pin power cabled plugged in. You are bound to have some form of power issue. Try a different PSU - preferrably one with a 24-pin atx connector - and do some reasearch before you buy one so you will know. If you can, borrow a friends PSU (one with a 24-pin connector) and use it in your system to test if this is, in fact, the problem.
August 27, 2006 11:25:36 PM

Quote:
Re-checking your mobos specs now & it does say it supports the 805.

When I checked your power supply, it says it's a 20-pin (ATX v1). You probably need the 24 pin (ATX v2).

However, using 20-pin power cable may cause the system to become unbootable or unstable because of insufficient electricity.


Nice find.

I never did look up the board, but thought it looked.. interesting:

ECS PF22 Extreme

Does say ATX V2.X Support on the board itself.
August 27, 2006 11:34:46 PM

Quote:
Does say ATX V2.X Support on the board itself.


Well, the manual states:
Quote:
Connecting 20/24-pin power cable
Users please note that the 20-pin and 24-pin power cables can
both be connected to the ATX1 connectors. With the 20-pin
power cable, just align the 20-pin power cable with the pin 1 of
the ATX1 connector. However, using 20-pin power cable may
cause the system to become unbootable or unstable because of
insufficient electricity.
August 27, 2006 11:43:43 PM

I was agreeing with ya... didn't have to repost what the manual said.

There is a very good possiblity that is whats causing it to reboot over and over.

But then getting it to run stock at 533 FSB, shouldn't require that much power to boot up, although, it could be the trick.

Just wondered if the bios is not re-adjusting the FSB, so that was when the thought of the reset jumper came into mind, especially after a flash update.
August 27, 2006 11:50:32 PM

Quote:
I was agreeing with ya... didn't have to repost what the manual said.

There is a very good possiblity that is whats causing it to reboot over and over.

But then getting it to run stock at 533 FSB, shouldn't require that much power to boot up, although, it could be the trick.

Just wondered if the bios is not re-adjusting the FSB, so that was when the thought of the reset jumper came into mind, expectially after a flash update.


Sorry :oops:  , I gave the wrong quote anyway. I was going to quote about it will take either the 8 or 4 pin ATX12V1 connector, but now that I stated it, I won't need to find it. :) 

I'm wondering if the dualcore 805 is pulling more power than the P4, which is why it won't boot. But I do agree with you that the reset jumper is the best place to start.
August 28, 2006 1:35:52 AM

I did think of the PSU and I went out and bought one yesterday, bought an Antec PSU 500watt 24 pin, I tried it and same thing, no response, so I dont think its a power issue down the 12V rail it supplied 460 watts of power (I would imagine thats suffecient power to run everything)

Took it back though, after I found out it wasnt the problem, needed the extra $90 hehe.
August 28, 2006 1:51:15 AM

ok, I just now switched PSU's again, (using my brothers 24 pin 500watt) and its not rebooting itels, but still no post. I reset the jumper after flash as well....gonna go fiddle arounda little more.
August 28, 2006 1:58:32 AM

when you're computer doesn't post that means you got a short somewhere.

Unplug all the drives and then take out every card you have besides the video card.

see if it posts.

Start taking out things one by one if it doesn't post. You should at least get beep codes.

So take out the video card, ram, and then processor. If you get no beep codes than its probably the motherboard. Although it could be the power supply also if its not getting any power your psu could be DOA also.

good luck!

Quote:
I am having a problem with my new pc build. Here is the problem. I ordered all my parts brand new from Newegg. I bought a:

ECS PF22 extreme motherboard ( Max memory supported 8GB DDR2 667 dual channel, 2 PCIe slots, 3 PCI slots, 6 SATA connectors, 2 LAN ports, etc..) I also bought a Pentium D 805 processor, a BFG 7900gt pcie GPU, 550 watt Maddog PSU, 2 WD HDD's, NEC DVD burner, Sony CD-RW, 1GB stick DDR2 667 RAM, for cooling my processor I have a Big Typhoon heatsink.

I installed everything and my computer doesnt even post, so I took my brothers P4 processor with everything else set up the same and it works perfectly fine. I know my motherboard supports the Pentium D 805 (if anyone wants they can verify that, just to make sure lol), I read the manual and even checked the website just to make sure. When I have the PD in I touch my heatsink and it is barely warm. My question is should I just consider this Processor DOA or is there anything I can try or need to do for this motherboard to accept this processor? I just want to make sure I have done everything possible before I pack it up and send it back for a replacement, cause im just worried now that if I get a new one it might do the same thing. Is it common for processors to be DOA, Ive built many PC's and never had this problem.

Thank you for any response!
August 28, 2006 2:25:12 AM

You might want to contact ECS. Even though they show the 805 as being compatible, one area shows the board as handling up to 800/1066 fsb, and another section shows that it supports only 800/1066, and as Pat has pointed out - the 805 is 533.
Also, the 805 is the only 533 chip on their compatible list:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=93&LanID=9&DetailID=569&DetailName=CPU%20Support
If it's a mistake on ECS part, you'll have to spend a couple bucks more for a 820 or 840 - or go with a different mobo.
August 28, 2006 2:26:56 AM

Quote:
when you're computer doesn't post that means you got a short somewhere.

Unplug all the drives and then take out every card you have besides the video card.

see if it posts.

Start taking out things one by one if it doesn't post. You should at least get beep codes.

So take out the video card, ram, and then processor. If you get no beep codes than its probably the motherboard. Although it could be the power supply also if its not getting any power your psu could be DOA also.

good luck!

I am having a problem with my new pc build. Here is the problem. I ordered all my parts brand new from Newegg. I bought a:

ECS PF22 extreme motherboard ( Max memory supported 8GB DDR2 667 dual channel, 2 PCIe slots, 3 PCI slots, 6 SATA connectors, 2 LAN ports, etc..) I also bought a Pentium D 805 processor, a BFG 7900gt pcie GPU, 550 watt Maddog PSU, 2 WD HDD's, NEC DVD burner, Sony CD-RW, 1GB stick DDR2 667 RAM, for cooling my processor I have a Big Typhoon heatsink.

I installed everything and my computer doesnt even post, so I took my brothers P4 processor with everything else set up the same and it works perfectly fine. I know my motherboard supports the Pentium D 805 (if anyone wants they can verify that, just to make sure lol), I read the manual and even checked the website just to make sure. When I have the PD in I touch my heatsink and it is barely warm. My question is should I just consider this Processor DOA or is there anything I can try or need to do for this motherboard to accept this processor? I just want to make sure I have done everything possible before I pack it up and send it back for a replacement, cause im just worried now that if I get a new one it might do the same thing. Is it common for processors to be DOA, Ive built many PC's and never had this problem.

Thank you for any response!


I have everything set up the same, and I can switch out prcessors and everything works just fine. I switch my D chip with a P4...the P4 works, the PD doesnt and everything in the PC is exactly the same set up when I switch them out. I switched PSUs and still the same problem, P4 works, and PD doesnt.....anyway for me to change voltage so I can give more power?...and what about CAS timings? whats that about?.....thanks for the replies
August 28, 2006 2:48:19 AM

One other thing should help or at least might verify if that 805 D is okay.

In my mind, I'm thinking if everything does work, but if the CPU doesn't like that particular memory, then one other thing to try.

Take all the RAM out, and power up. It should beep, telling you no RAM is installed. If it doesn't, then I think its more probable that CPU is dead, since the bios runs with a working CPU.
August 28, 2006 2:54:45 AM

Quote:
One other thing should help or at least might verify if that 805 D is okay.

In my mind, I'm thinking if everything does work, but if the CPU doesn't like that particular memory, then one other thing to try.

Take all the RAM out, and power up. It should beep, telling you no RAM is installed. If it doesn't, then I think its more probable that CPU is dead, since the bios runs with a working CPU.


Yeah I get no beeps when I take the RAM out, that has happened since day 1. So most likely its the processor Im thinking.
August 28, 2006 2:59:45 AM

Quote:
when you're computer doesn't post that means you got a short somewhere.

Unplug all the drives and then take out every card you have besides the video card.

see if it posts.

Start taking out things one by one if it doesn't post. You should at least get beep codes.

So take out the video card, ram, and then processor. If you get no beep codes than its probably the motherboard. Although it could be the power supply also if its not getting any power your psu could be DOA also.

good luck!

I am having a problem with my new pc build. Here is the problem. I ordered all my parts brand new from Newegg. I bought a:

ECS PF22 extreme motherboard ( Max memory supported 8GB DDR2 667 dual channel, 2 PCIe slots, 3 PCI slots, 6 SATA connectors, 2 LAN ports, etc..) I also bought a Pentium D 805 processor, a BFG 7900gt pcie GPU, 550 watt Maddog PSU, 2 WD HDD's, NEC DVD burner, Sony CD-RW, 1GB stick DDR2 667 RAM, for cooling my processor I have a Big Typhoon heatsink.

I installed everything and my computer doesnt even post, so I took my brothers P4 processor with everything else set up the same and it works perfectly fine. I know my motherboard supports the Pentium D 805 (if anyone wants they can verify that, just to make sure lol), I read the manual and even checked the website just to make sure. When I have the PD in I touch my heatsink and it is barely warm. My question is should I just consider this Processor DOA or is there anything I can try or need to do for this motherboard to accept this processor? I just want to make sure I have done everything possible before I pack it up and send it back for a replacement, cause im just worried now that if I get a new one it might do the same thing. Is it common for processors to be DOA, Ive built many PC's and never had this problem.

Thank you for any response!


I have everything set up the same, and I can switch out prcessors and everything works just fine. I switch my D chip with a P4...the P4 works, the PD doesnt and everything in the PC is exactly the same set up when I switch them out. I switched PSUs and still the same problem, P4 works, and PD doesnt.....anyway for me to change voltage so I can give more power?...and what about CAS timings? whats that about?.....thanks for the replies


Did you pull the P4 chip out of a functioning system? If so, have you tried the 805 in that system?
August 28, 2006 3:07:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah I get no beeps when I take the RAM out, that has happened since day 1. So most likely its the processor Im thinking.


Thing is, when I look at the manual, it seems to only have a speaker header. I really couldn't see an onboard speaker. Heh, are you sure you have a speaker hooked up?

I wonder if the beeps would work on the onboard sound system, simply by hooking up speakers to the onboard sound card.

I agree, that would be another good way to test the 805 D on another MB.
August 28, 2006 3:19:25 AM

Quote:
when you're computer doesn't post that means you got a short somewhere.

Unplug all the drives and then take out every card you have besides the video card.

see if it posts.

Start taking out things one by one if it doesn't post. You should at least get beep codes.

So take out the video card, ram, and then processor. If you get no beep codes than its probably the motherboard. Although it could be the power supply also if its not getting any power your psu could be DOA also.

good luck!

I am having a problem with my new pc build. Here is the problem. I ordered all my parts brand new from Newegg. I bought a:

ECS PF22 extreme motherboard ( Max memory supported 8GB DDR2 667 dual channel, 2 PCIe slots, 3 PCI slots, 6 SATA connectors, 2 LAN ports, etc..) I also bought a Pentium D 805 processor, a BFG 7900gt pcie GPU, 550 watt Maddog PSU, 2 WD HDD's, NEC DVD burner, Sony CD-RW, 1GB stick DDR2 667 RAM, for cooling my processor I have a Big Typhoon heatsink.

I installed everything and my computer doesnt even post, so I took my brothers P4 processor with everything else set up the same and it works perfectly fine. I know my motherboard supports the Pentium D 805 (if anyone wants they can verify that, just to make sure lol), I read the manual and even checked the website just to make sure. When I have the PD in I touch my heatsink and it is barely warm. My question is should I just consider this Processor DOA or is there anything I can try or need to do for this motherboard to accept this processor? I just want to make sure I have done everything possible before I pack it up and send it back for a replacement, cause im just worried now that if I get a new one it might do the same thing. Is it common for processors to be DOA, Ive built many PC's and never had this problem.

Thank you for any response!


I have everything set up the same, and I can switch out prcessors and everything works just fine. I switch my D chip with a P4...the P4 works, the PD doesnt and everything in the PC is exactly the same set up when I switch them out. I switched PSUs and still the same problem, P4 works, and PD doesnt.....anyway for me to change voltage so I can give more power?...and what about CAS timings? whats that about?.....thanks for the replies


Did you pull the P4 chip out of a functioning system? If so, have you tried the 805 in that system?
the motherboard that the P4 is in doesnt support the 805 unfortunately =(. But heres something interesting, Im now begining to think its something to do with the RAM. So I have a 1 gig stick DDR2 533mhz in my case, the P4 runs fine with that in but the 805 shows nothing, I also have a gig of DDR2 667mhz, so I swapped RAM and now the P4 doesnt show post or anything with that stick in, I just took out the P4 and swapped with the 805, still the 805 showed nothing when I have the higher RAM speed in. I switched it back to the 533mhz RAM and still nothing. I again switch back to the P4 with the 533 mhz RAM and it boots up fine, I can get to Windows and everything. So Im thinking that 805 is being real picky about what type of RAM it will accept. Think that might be the problem? The motherboard book says it supports up to 667mhz RAM...heres the specs on the higher speed RAM:

AllComponents
Model AC2/667X64/1024
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 1GB
Speed DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
Cas Latency 4
Voltage 1.8V
Heat Spreader No

the 1 gig 533 RAM I have just is a generic brand that came out of a nice HP computer at work, like I said it works with the P4 but the 667RAM doesnt, with the 667RAM the p4 acts just like the 805 is acting. Very odd..

Anyways, Ive got a new 805 on its way 2nd day air lol...so Ill see soon if the processor is dead or not, if the 2nd one doesnt boot up then definately its something else.
August 28, 2006 3:26:16 AM

Heh.. welp that sux.

But, I dunno if you missed my post, also had the thought of testing the beeping.

How about putting that P4 one last time, taking out the ram. Should beep.. if not, then you don't have a PC speaker hooked up.

Or perhaps it could would through the sound card like Asus boards, but uses voice errors.
August 28, 2006 3:50:40 AM

Quote:
Heh.. welp that sux.

But, I dunno if you missed my post, also had the thought of testing the beeping.

How about putting that P4 one last time, taking out the ram. Should beep.. if not, then you don't have a PC speaker hooked up.

Or perhaps it could would through the sound card like Asus boards, but uses voice errors.

Itested the beep, and with no RAM installed with either proc. I get no beeps (speaker jumper is plugged in), I just get nothing on the screen, no post, no errors, nothing. With no RAM installed I get the same thing as when I have the 805 installed with RAM. When I put the 533 mhzRAM back in with the P4 I get one beep and then continues on to post, then to Windows. With the 667RAM in with the P4 I get "no post, no errors, just a black screen"....geez this is frustrating, Im begining to get confused as to what might be causing this...Im really starting to think its not the processor....but then again I would think someone out there would have come accross the same situation but I cannot find any refrences to it, so then again...it might be the proc. lol **boggles mind
August 28, 2006 4:30:00 AM

Welp... it may take awhile to TS everything as much as possible.

I notice the ECS website doesn't help much, well on this particular problem.

However I did stumble on this:

Support PCI Express support
PCI Express support
PF22 PCI Express VGA Card Support List (For Windows XP)

Quote:
21  NVIDIA  16X Bitland BD3493/6200TC/TV/128MB GeForce 6200TC 81.85
22 XFX GF6200/128MB GeForce 6200 81.85
23 ASUS Nvidia EN6600LE/256MB GeForce 6600LE 81.85
24 Unika PCX6618GT/DVI/TV/128MB GeForce 6600GT 81.85
25 XFX GF6800GT/256MB GeForce 6800GT 81.85
26 4X ASUS EN5750/128MB GeForce PCX5750 81.85
27 Bitland BD3493/6200TC/TV/128MB GeForce 6200TC 81.85
28 XFX GF6200/128MB GeForce 6200 81.85
29 ASUS Nvidia EN6600LE/256MB GeForce 6600LE 81.85
30 Unika PCX6618GT/DVI/TV/128MB GeForce 6600GT 81.85
31 XFX GF6800GT/256MB GeForce 6800GT 81.85


Is it possible that the 7900GT could also be a problem?

ECS Web Site (source)

Perhaps taking the card out, leaving RAM stick should also make the MB beep, for video error?

Edit: Perhaps that list maybe out of date?

Heh.. I'm running out of advice.
August 28, 2006 4:36:27 AM

ok Ill try something else, Ive got a 7800 lying around so ill try that instead of the 7900
!