Unable to open disk management tool

On a windows 2000 server when I try to open the disk
management tool, i get a popup dialog box stating "The
system can not find the file specified". All I can do is
click ok and the tool never opens. I have tried
reapplying the latest service pack and it didn't help. I
have not been able to turn up anything useful in
researching this problem. If anyone has seen this
before, please contact me with any suggestions.
Thanks
Chris
chriss@compknowhow.com

Hi, Chris.

At the Run prompt (or in a "DOS" window), type: diskmgmt.msc

Caveat: I know nothing of servers and stopped using Win2K the day WinXP
arrived. But Disk Management is one of my favorite tools.

Perhaps the file has been deleted from your HD, or moved to a different
location. By default, it should be in \WinNT\System32. (At least, that's
where it is in WinXP Pro.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"CKHguru" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On a windows 2000 server when I try to open the disk
> management tool, i get a popup dialog box stating "The
> system can not find the file specified". All I can do is
> click ok and the tool never opens. I have tried
> reapplying the latest service pack and it didn't help. I
> have not been able to turn up anything useful in
> researching this problem. If anyone has seen this
> before, please contact me with any suggestions.
> Thanks
> Chris
> chriss@compknowhow.com

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have tried running diskmgmt.msc but this also results
in the same error. The disk management tool actually
opens up but instead of showing the disks on the right
side of the screen like normal, it gives you the error
message.

Chris

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but you might try checking for the
following files

dmdskmgr.dll
dmdskres.dll
dmdlgs.dll

in your windows\system32 directory. If either or both are missing, you can
try expanding them off your installation media. For example, you might do
the following.

expand -r d:\i386\dmdlgs.dl_ c:\windows\system32

--Richard

Please post FRS related questions to microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs
and prefix the subject line with "FRS:" to make it easier to spot. Note that
FRS is used to replicate SYSVOL on domain controllers and DFS root and link
targets.

For additional FRS resources, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/frs.

"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have tried running diskmgmt.msc but this also results
> in the same error. The disk management tool actually
> opens up but instead of showing the disks on the right
> side of the screen like normal, it gives you the error
> message.
>
> Chris

BrianL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Some third party utilities, extend the capabilities of Disk Management Console by basically replacing it. One utility I know of is Dell's OpenManage Array Manager. When installed, when you try to access The Disk Management Console, OpenManage will load instead. If it is a Dell server, this is probably installed. If this is the case, I would download the newest version from Dell's website and install the application. I think the newest version is 3.5. Go into your Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and see if Dell OpenManage Array Manager is installed. I believe HP's OpenView is another application that does this.