edit on context menu

i have noticed that recently when i right click on an .nfo, .bat,
..txt, etc. and the contect menu is displayed, EDIT in noticably
missing

is there a way to restore this function?

thanks

"We cannot predict where, ultimately, the Computer Revolution will take us.
All we know for certain is that, when we finally get there, we won't have
enough RAM."

Hi Stanton,

You can add the "Edit" entry via Folder Options File Types tab. Or, simply download and apply the .txt and .bat assocation fix from Doug Knox's site: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm. If that does not help for .txt file, open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\text\shell\edit\command

(If "edit" is unavailable, you need to create it)

In the right-pane, set the value for (default) to:

C:\Windows\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User