How do you change file name length parameters?

I am trying to copy a file to my computer with a Windows
2000 OS and I keep getting an error that states the file
name is too long and must be changed. The problem is that
I can't change the file name because it is part of an
application that is called from various parts of the app.
How can I reset the max length file name parameter in my
OS (or can I)?

How long is the file name?

Lorraine wrote:
> I am trying to copy a file to my computer with a Windows
> 2000 OS and I keep getting an error that states the file
> name is too long and must be changed. The problem is that
> I can't change the file name because it is part of an
> application that is called from various parts of the app.
> How can I reset the max length file name parameter in my
> OS (or can I)?

76 characters

IIRC the maximum file length is something like 255 characters - but are you
using NTFS? I think it's different for FAT32....
Also, how long is the path name?

From what are you trying to copy the file? If all else fails, can you rename
this file to
something short, copy it, then rename it back to the proper name?