PSU and will it work in my system?

jeffchele

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Hello, i bought a PSU from a second hand store for $5 and want to know if it will work in my computer. The one i bought is brand new in a different box. there is no dust inside at all and the power cables are still rubber banded togather just like new. I have a Compaq Presario s4220NX with a 250 Watt hipro dr2537f3r power supply in it. I have a MSI MS6390 ver 3 motherboard with the 20 pin connector and the other four pin one. The new supply has some voltages and stuff on it but not any brand name that i recognize. I got a model number off the card inside the psu. It's just like this inside on the circuit board: LP-8860 REV:0402 then under that is: LP/ATX8860/0402 then under that is a date: 2004-11-10
On the underside of the board is the model number again and then another set of numbers and letters: backwards R and a U stuck to the back of the R then CF in a circle then 0394V0 then a solid tringle the size of a V but upside down.
There is a sticker on the out side with voltages and the amps for each that are higher than mine of course because the sticker says it is a 450 watt.

I was wondering if it would be safe to use this supply instead of my old one as i put in a new video card and the watts are very close to 250 on my system right now. I have had problems with one game in particular, GRAW, and i think power might be an issue. If you know where i can go to find out if this is compatible with my system i would appreciate it.

jeffchele

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Why return it, i got it from a salvation army store where they don't know anything about how to price computer stuff. Everytime they sell anything computer related they underprice it horribly. I am not worried about the cost, is it a decent psu by the brand and model number i found. It is a leadman LP 8860.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I would test it before making any decisions. Leadman makes alot of case PSUs. It might not have alot of flair but it could be decent. Look at this thread for some info. I wouldnt discount it as your system is not very demanding.

Mondoman

Splendid
... I wouldnt discount it as your system is not very demanding.
Amount of power supplied is certainly one aspect, but quality of power is important, too. Problems with the latter can be difficult to spot w/o using an oscilloscope and often manifest themselves as mysterious stability problems.

However, I think any alternative supply we might suggest would cost $30 or more, so it may not fit within the budget for this system.