Sign in with
Your question

X-fi & Surround 7.1

Last response: in Components
August 27, 2006 7:19:13 PM

Hi, I have a very messed up geometrical room and so I ask you people to screenshot ( or best - video) the possible 3d optimizations with software .

I am going to use CREATIVE GigaWorks S750 and the top end Xfi-Fatal1ty or elite, dont know which yet.

Thanks

More about : surround

August 27, 2006 8:27:11 PM

just get the x-fi extreme music and buy a couple seagate 320gb SATAII hardrives to put in raid0...
August 27, 2006 8:30:23 PM

its 70 $ dollar difference, hdds are more expensive then that
Related resources
August 27, 2006 8:34:27 PM

Get the X-FI Xtreme music and save the money; audio quality is no different.
August 27, 2006 8:38:40 PM

Ok, please read the post before going dont buy that dont do that. I just wanted to see how I can position and optimize the speakers. ffs read
August 27, 2006 8:39:08 PM

Quote:
its 70 $ dollar difference, hdds are more expensive then that

dude the elite cost like 300 bucks

in my book thats a 200 dollar difference (yes, i use the decimal system, so 300-100=200)
August 27, 2006 8:41:45 PM

Not here. Please remember that there are more than one country
August 27, 2006 8:52:13 PM

ah, good point, where u from?
August 27, 2006 8:55:11 PM

Swiss, but please, is anyone going to post pics??
August 27, 2006 10:08:47 PM

well, all i cacn say is thst really all you need is the X-Fi Xtreme Music
August 27, 2006 10:55:59 PM

yeah, dude, buy a set of tee-ight bose headphones, screw having spkrs cause theyre way more cumbersome, and they sound better. Any-who, my bro bought the x-fi xtrememusic and said that x-fi manages the otput volume of the spkrs and all that crap by just typing in the distance form the hearer and the anlge. It autmatically does sopme crazy 3d positioning and stuff... his room is a very weird shape and he said that it sounds as though he were using headphones... X-Fi is not like the traditoinal cards where youve got to manually manage the perfect positions for all ur spkrs, it does t all 4 u :)  oh and hes running 7.2 :)  yes thats 2 woofers :p 
August 28, 2006 2:31:17 AM

last i heard, the army preffers bose noise cancelling over ANY OTHER company, And last i heard, bose has some of the best sound quality availble, and last i heard, and this is when ever i turn my computer on as i have bose sound, my 2.0 sounds better than most 5.1s ive heard (ranging from 50-350 bucks). Dude, i dont know what kind of crap youve been fed, but all i know is that you need to change ur diet. yeah, i was saying, quite politely, what the thread starter was asking for, he wanted to be told how to make his system sound good, and wanted diagrams and what-not, so i explained what he wanted; that he doesnt need fancy drawings or charts to make it soud good with an x-fi. My english is not bad, you just suck at reading.

Finnally, yes, they use *tricks*, which are things that apparently no other company uses, its called technology and research. Im sorry, but just cause they dont spend loads of cash using special magnet and circuts and crap to make it sound good doesnt mean that they suck.. they infact spend quite possbly the most money to do just that, make things sound good. Granted, seinheisser are *cheap* (in relation to bose), but only Bose has commercially available true noise cancellation, and im sorry if youve never tried some bose headphones on cause youve ever experienced what great sound is.

oh and most ppl go for seinheisser cause seinheisser is a cheap alternative to Bose, but seinheisser is not bose, and bose sounds better, period.

I like my bose not cause they are right on with the sound but because they are crystal clear. I play games and they simply shine. sure, if ur a composer or a dj, bose arent all that good, its like buying an lcd display to do image editing. Must I say more?

Last i heard, the only thng ppl dont like about bose is that they are expensive. The headphone line from bose does not use tricks to sound good, the headphones use an electronic system to cut out noise, not fancy noise inulating materials or foams like imitations use.
August 28, 2006 1:49:51 PM

or another alternative is just to plug a lead from the card into your hifi and there's another solution. I'm happy with my Medusa headphones. They're great for a budget. Bose stuff seems too expensive for most budgets.
August 28, 2006 2:26:57 PM

Its appaling. Really it is appaling. I ask for help configuring speakers, and people tell me what to buy.

To those that could read, I mostly want to know if its possible to configure a speakers hight from you and speakers distance from you. Thank you.
August 28, 2006 2:28:04 PM

Quote:
Ok, please read the post before going dont buy that dont do that. I just wanted to see how I can position and optimize the speakers. ffs read
I read your post and recommended you get an X-Fi Xtreme music instead; if you really wish to waste money on the Platinum edition go right ahead.
August 28, 2006 2:30:32 PM

THEN WHY POST? If I was aking for something else why does it trigger an answer to a question I did not ask. Im not a mothertongue, but I thought someone would understand me.
August 28, 2006 2:37:41 PM

Quote:
THEN WHY POST? If I was aking for something else why does it trigger an answer to a question I did not ask. Im not a mothertongue, but I thought someone would understand me.

You need to position speakers at optimum range of equal distance. Sub should be placed under or near pc preferably on carpat. Speakers should be placed on mid range rable or mounted higher up. Pinpointed at the same level accross the room with one to the far left; one to the far right, one to centre and the back left to the far back and back right to the far back (corners). Is this what you meant? It's really dead simple to set up the speakers but remember to sit in a posiition where you are the centre of all audio range.
August 28, 2006 2:47:46 PM

thats the possible config I see. Can it work (blue dots meaning speakers)

room is about 2.5m by 3.5 m
August 28, 2006 3:21:33 PM

Sorry I cant give you a blue dot diagram myself, but if rearranging furniture is out of the question, I would at least suggest moving the front left and right speakers further apart from center while maintaining equal distance, so that they don't sound too close to center. The side left and right appear to be fine. As for the rear left and right, I would suggest bringing them in closer together, perhaps 3 to 4 feet apart. Not only will this keep your rear left and right sounds noticable, but can also help to bring absolute rear closer together as well. You can search the Intenet for home theater setups using 7.1 surround and their diagrams can assist. I realize that you are bearing in mind that you're mounting all to the walls probably. With a little inginuity, you can mount to the ceilings, which is what I have done with mine, so that I could get the spacing I preferred.

Yes, I know you didn't ask, but I have to agree with most, save your money and go with the X-Fi music, download the latest drivers and set up using the THX utility. You'll be happy with it.
August 28, 2006 3:38:43 PM

Ye, I was thinking of mounting the front left and right on the wall, CLOSE to the ceiling ( cause if I dont go high, my door will block the left speaker. With the 2 speakers behind its a tricky place cause I like to be in a room with fresh air and keep my balcony open at all times. If it cant go like on the diag, Ill prolly try and put em either high as the front left speaker, or see if I can get some stands for them. Yes, moving furniture is impossible.. Tho with these mismatched hights, will the system be functional, because if I have to put one speaker high I will not put the others high as well.
August 28, 2006 3:44:12 PM

Quote:
like me i think stands would suit you. they cost a bit for what you get and i think only creative make them but they are useful. it would allow you more versatility.

Heh on the contrary, my room is small so if I were to "operate" the balcony I would have to constantly shift the stands then. IF my room was a tad bigger, then yes I would see no problem at all. But my main concern is the front left speaker.

PS. I saw several different types of stands in the shop prior, hope they are compatible. ( they are not CREATIVE )
August 28, 2006 11:19:07 PM

Quote:

thats the possible config I see. Can it work (blue dots meaning speakers)

room is about 2.5m by 3.5 m

you could get awat with that setup, but yeah, putting the desk where the bed is and vice-versa would prolly be good, but also that gives trouble making the bed :p 

the software the x-fi comes with should prolly make that sound good enough, itll calibrate it all very well.
August 29, 2006 12:59:30 AM

The only way to properly calibrate for bad positioning and poor geometry is to get a mic and do sine sweeps to determine frequency response at certain positions and then fix your system with a proper EQ.
August 29, 2006 1:21:57 AM

yes, if you can ell the difference... my bro, as i have said b4, has an even stranger room and the software ncluded with the xtreme music did, acording to his personal opinion, the trick... So, yes, you could do it the complicated way or jsut et the software do it 4 you.... im sure itd sound better if you made your charts, and did your calculations... but the difference woud be hard to tell if youre like me and cant tell the diff...
August 29, 2006 2:28:12 AM

Quote:
yes, if you can ell the difference... my bro, as i have said b4, has an even stranger room and the software ncluded with the xtreme music did, acording to his personal opinion, the trick... So, yes, you could do it the complicated way

It's actually pretty basic. To "fix" a problem, you need to know what it is, and that's what a mic will do with sine sweeps.

Quote:
or jsut et the software do it 4 you.... im sure itd sound better if you made your charts, and did your calculations... but the difference woud be hard to tell if youre like me and cant tell the diff...

Well the software is just doing something "arbitrary." It might sound good, but it doesn't mean its accurate. And saying you can't tell the difference is really just an excuse not to actually try. Perhaps you mean that that you don't really care about the difference, but that's far different from not being able to tell the difference between something.
August 29, 2006 10:03:22 AM

Quote:
Get the X-FI Xtreme music and save the money; audio quality is no different.

Unfortunately, this is not true.

There is a significant difference in the hardware between the X-Fi XM, Platinum, and Fata1ity and the X-Fi Elite Pro. The Elite Pro uses audiophile-class DACs that offer lower THD+N, lower IMD, and higher S/N ratio. Its unfortunate that they Elite Pro is not sold without the huge breakout box as it would make that version of the X-Fi an audiophile weapon and value to contend with, IMO. If you have the money to get an Elite Pro I'd suggest either getting that or an just an Extreme Music. I'm not sure the Platinum or Fata1ity versions are worth their price. ...and TBH, good speakers will be needed to appreciate the difference in audio quality that the Elite Pro will offer. I'm not sure if PC speakers will offer enough resolution to do so.

Again, often-times when the X-Fi is reviewed/compared to other soundcards it is with the Elite Pro version (~$400), which is why many rate it so highly. Yes, the ~$400 soundcard sounds better than the $40 competitor. Surprised? The Elite Pro is a beautiful card, clearly offering audiophile quality. Most people read those reviews and then go buy an Extreme Music version for $100. Though the lesser X-Fi are nice cards, they simply do not offer the same audio quality as the ~$400 Elite Pro.
August 29, 2006 1:08:18 PM

@margav

Use Creative THX console to calibrate speakers (saying "to calibrate outputs of the sound card" is perhaps more true). This software lets you input the distances of each speaker from the listening position so that overall sound is optimized for this very point. It's handy piece of software.

Other then that you could hang a cloth or some absorbing material on the short wall (to the left when facing door from inside) to try to control reflected sound emitted by the 3 speakers at the front (These speakers will be the loudest ones and their reflection off the rear wall might deteriorate overall sound)

Experiment with woofer placement. As you probably know placing it in acorner will strenghten its power but this might happen at the cost of clarity. So move it around and listen to it. Take your time.

Nice setup, man.
August 29, 2006 8:33:38 PM

dude, again, accuracy is in the ear of the beholder. the software arbitrarily sets the speakers in a 3d enviroment, and adjusts the output volumes to each speaker. It probably does not do it with the stunning accuracy your method has to offer, but hey, most of us are not pros at this. And that said: The xtreme music is good enough unless you can tell the difference. I feel sory for those who can cause that means theve got to spen 3 times more to feel satisfied.
August 29, 2006 8:58:07 PM

No need to feel sorry for anyone. Being an enthusiast or audiophile is a hobby and we spend to do the best with our hobby that we can. If we can't do that then it takes away from the drive to go to work everyday. I unwind and de-stress with my music. I want it to sound as good as I can afford it to sound, at any given point in time. If I could spend $50K on the smoothest best sounding, most accurate setup, I could afford at that level...I would. Period. That's what my music means to me.
August 31, 2006 7:47:32 AM

Quote:
Not here. Please remember that there are more than one country

More than one country? :? I always thought US was the only country on the planet and that everything else was commie scum and that the world revolves around us. Our atlases only seem to show the US of A and nothing else 8O Maybe I should order a new non US atlas :oops: 
August 31, 2006 10:26:58 AM

Quote:
dude, again, accuracy is in the ear of the beholder
. Sure everyone has different in-ear hearing curves, I absolutely believe EQs can help someone.

Quote:
The software arbitrarily sets the speakers in a 3d enviroment, and adjusts the output volumes to each speaker. It probably does not do it with the stunning accuracy your method has to offer, but hey, most of us are not pros at this. And that said: The xtreme music is good enough unless you can tell the difference.

If it works for you, it works for you. Awesome.

Quote:
I feel sory for those who can cause that means theve got to spen 3 times more to feel satisfied.

Nice straw-man, who said anything about buying a sound card that costs 3 times more? You can get a mic with free EQ software and calibrate your speakers, then return the mic. That's free.

It has nothing to do with being a "pro", it has everything to do with effort. If you know exactly what to do but refuse to do it shows you don't need the help of a "pro," but rather you are just erecting another straw man.

This is what you said before, and you are making a valid point from your position, which is "effort", not price, not knowledge. Changing by throwing in random straw-mans now makes your position nebulous:

Quote:
So, yes, you could do it the complicated way or jsut et the software do it 4 you
!