margav

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Hi, I have a very messed up geometrical room and so I ask you people to screenshot ( or best - video) the possible 3d optimizations with software .

I am going to use CREATIVE GigaWorks S750 and the top end Xfi-Fatal1ty or elite, dont know which yet.

Thanks

margav

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Ok, please read the post before going dont buy that dont do that. I just wanted to see how I can position and optimize the speakers. ffs read

ninjaquick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
yeah, dude, buy a set of tee-ight bose headphones, screw having spkrs cause theyre way more cumbersome, and they sound better. Any-who, my bro bought the x-fi xtrememusic and said that x-fi manages the otput volume of the spkrs and all that crap by just typing in the distance form the hearer and the anlge. It autmatically does sopme crazy 3d positioning and stuff... his room is a very weird shape and he said that it sounds as though he were using headphones... X-Fi is not like the traditoinal cards where youve got to manually manage the perfect positions for all ur spkrs, it does t all 4 u :) oh and hes running 7.2 :) yes thats 2 woofers :p

ninjaquick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
last i heard, the army preffers bose noise cancelling over ANY OTHER company, And last i heard, bose has some of the best sound quality availble, and last i heard, and this is when ever i turn my computer on as i have bose sound, my 2.0 sounds better than most 5.1s ive heard (ranging from 50-350 bucks). Dude, i dont know what kind of crap youve been fed, but all i know is that you need to change ur diet. yeah, i was saying, quite politely, what the thread starter was asking for, he wanted to be told how to make his system sound good, and wanted diagrams and what-not, so i explained what he wanted; that he doesnt need fancy drawings or charts to make it soud good with an x-fi. My english is not bad, you just suck at reading.

Finnally, yes, they use *tricks*, which are things that apparently no other company uses, its called technology and research. Im sorry, but just cause they dont spend loads of cash using special magnet and circuts and crap to make it sound good doesnt mean that they suck.. they infact spend quite possbly the most money to do just that, make things sound good. Granted, seinheisser are *cheap* (in relation to bose), but only Bose has commercially available true noise cancellation, and im sorry if youve never tried some bose headphones on cause youve ever experienced what great sound is.

oh and most ppl go for seinheisser cause seinheisser is a cheap alternative to Bose, but seinheisser is not bose, and bose sounds better, period.

I like my bose not cause they are right on with the sound but because they are crystal clear. I play games and they simply shine. sure, if ur a composer or a dj, bose arent all that good, its like buying an lcd display to do image editing. Must I say more?

Last i heard, the only thng ppl dont like about bose is that they are expensive. The headphone line from bose does not use tricks to sound good, the headphones use an electronic system to cut out noise, not fancy noise inulating materials or foams like imitations use.

tdtm82

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
or another alternative is just to plug a lead from the card into your hifi and there's another solution. I'm happy with my Medusa headphones. They're great for a budget. Bose stuff seems too expensive for most budgets.

margav

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Its appaling. Really it is appaling. I ask for help configuring speakers, and people tell me what to buy.

To those that could read, I mostly want to know if its possible to configure a speakers hight from you and speakers distance from you. Thank you.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Ok, please read the post before going dont buy that dont do that. I just wanted to see how I can position and optimize the speakers. ffs read
I read your post and recommended you get an X-Fi Xtreme music instead; if you really wish to waste money on the Platinum edition go right ahead.

margav

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
THEN WHY POST? If I was aking for something else why does it trigger an answer to a question I did not ask. Im not a mothertongue, but I thought someone would understand me.

tdtm82

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
THEN WHY POST? If I was aking for something else why does it trigger an answer to a question I did not ask. Im not a mothertongue, but I thought someone would understand me.

You need to position speakers at optimum range of equal distance. Sub should be placed under or near pc preferably on carpat. Speakers should be placed on mid range rable or mounted higher up. Pinpointed at the same level accross the room with one to the far left; one to the far right, one to centre and the back left to the far back and back right to the far back (corners). Is this what you meant? It's really dead simple to set up the speakers but remember to sit in a posiition where you are the centre of all audio range.

margav

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
roomsetupcy3.jpg

thats the possible config I see. Can it work (blue dots meaning speakers)

room is about 2.5m by 3.5 m

tkx1138

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Sorry I cant give you a blue dot diagram myself, but if rearranging furniture is out of the question, I would at least suggest moving the front left and right speakers further apart from center while maintaining equal distance, so that they don't sound too close to center. The side left and right appear to be fine. As for the rear left and right, I would suggest bringing them in closer together, perhaps 3 to 4 feet apart. Not only will this keep your rear left and right sounds noticable, but can also help to bring absolute rear closer together as well. You can search the Intenet for home theater setups using 7.1 surround and their diagrams can assist. I realize that you are bearing in mind that you're mounting all to the walls probably. With a little inginuity, you can mount to the ceilings, which is what I have done with mine, so that I could get the spacing I preferred.

Yes, I know you didn't ask, but I have to agree with most, save your money and go with the X-Fi music, download the latest drivers and set up using the THX utility. You'll be happy with it.

margav

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Ye, I was thinking of mounting the front left and right on the wall, CLOSE to the ceiling ( cause if I dont go high, my door will block the left speaker. With the 2 speakers behind its a tricky place cause I like to be in a room with fresh air and keep my balcony open at all times. If it cant go like on the diag, Ill prolly try and put em either high as the front left speaker, or see if I can get some stands for them. Yes, moving furniture is impossible.. Tho with these mismatched hights, will the system be functional, because if I have to put one speaker high I will not put the others high as well.

margav

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
like me i think stands would suit you. they cost a bit for what you get and i think only creative make them but they are useful. it would allow you more versatility.

Heh on the contrary, my room is small so if I were to "operate" the balcony I would have to constantly shift the stands then. IF my room was a tad bigger, then yes I would see no problem at all. But my main concern is the front left speaker.

PS. I saw several different types of stands in the shop prior, hope they are compatible. ( they are not CREATIVE )

ninjaquick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
roomsetupcy3.jpg

thats the possible config I see. Can it work (blue dots meaning speakers)

room is about 2.5m by 3.5 m

you could get awat with that setup, but yeah, putting the desk where the bed is and vice-versa would prolly be good, but also that gives trouble making the bed :p

the software the x-fi comes with should prolly make that sound good enough, itll calibrate it all very well.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The only way to properly calibrate for bad positioning and poor geometry is to get a mic and do sine sweeps to determine frequency response at certain positions and then fix your system with a proper EQ.

ninjaquick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
yes, if you can ell the difference... my bro, as i have said b4, has an even stranger room and the software ncluded with the xtreme music did, acording to his personal opinion, the trick... So, yes, you could do it the complicated way or jsut et the software do it 4 you.... im sure itd sound better if you made your charts, and did your calculations... but the difference woud be hard to tell if youre like me and cant tell the diff...

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
yes, if you can ell the difference... my bro, as i have said b4, has an even stranger room and the software ncluded with the xtreme music did, acording to his personal opinion, the trick... So, yes, you could do it the complicated way

It's actually pretty basic. To "fix" a problem, you need to know what it is, and that's what a mic will do with sine sweeps.

or jsut et the software do it 4 you.... im sure itd sound better if you made your charts, and did your calculations... but the difference woud be hard to tell if youre like me and cant tell the diff...

Well the software is just doing something "arbitrary." It might sound good, but it doesn't mean its accurate. And saying you can't tell the difference is really just an excuse not to actually try. Perhaps you mean that that you don't really care about the difference, but that's far different from not being able to tell the difference between something.