Installing Xp Home on different computer

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My computer crashed, got overheated. My motherboard, cpu and video card
fried. Am going to try building my own this time using PCMechanic build
your own pc. Is it ok for me to install my WinXP on my new computer and will
I have problems with Microsoft when I have to activate it. The old one is
gone (along with the computer).

Hi, Dan.

> Is it ok for me to install my WinXP on my new computer and will
> I have problems with Microsoft when I have to activate it.

That depends. Did the old computer come with WinXP pre-installed? If so,
that copy of WinXP was licensed only to that specific computer. When the
computer died, that OEM WinXP license died with it. :>(

But if you have a retail WinXP CD-ROM, then you can freely transfer the
license to any other single computer. If it has been more than 120 days
since it was last installed, it should activate cleanly over the Internet.
If you last installed it (after a previous meltdown? or because of a major
hardware upgrade?) more recently, then you probably will have to make a
5-minute phone call to get a new activation code.

For official details, see:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation.mspx

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
> My computer crashed, got overheated. My motherboard, cpu and video card
> fried. Am going to try building my own this time using PCMechanic build
> your own pc. Is it ok for me to install my WinXP on my new computer and
> will
> I have problems with Microsoft when I have to activate it. The old one is
> gone (along with the computer).

"Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
> My computer crashed, got overheated. My motherboard, cpu and video
> card fried. Am going to try building my own this time using
> PCMechanic build your own pc. Is it ok for me to install my WinXP on
> my new computer and will I have problems with Microsoft when I have
> to activate it. The old one is gone (along with the computer).

Yes, you can install it on the new machine. You will have to activate it by
telephone.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Computer is completely dead. I have a retail version of XP Home CD Rom. No
need to uninstall, other hard drive fried! Thank You all for your
response's.

Dan wrote:
> My computer crashed, got overheated. My motherboard, cpu and video
> card fried. Am going to try building my own this time using
> PCMechanic build your own pc. Is it ok for me to install my WinXP on
> my new computer and will I have problems with Microsoft when I have
> to activate it. The old one is gone (along with the computer).

Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not transferable under
any circumstances), simply remove WinXP from the computer it is
currently on(a moot point if the first PC is dead, of course), and
install it onto the new one. If it's been more than 120 days since
you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most likely be
able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's been less,
you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
>> My computer crashed, got overheated. My motherboard, cpu and video
>> card fried. Am going to try building my own this time using
>> PCMechanic build your own pc. Is it ok for me to install my WinXP on
>> my new computer and will I have problems with Microsoft when I have
>> to activate it. The old one is gone (along with the computer).
>
> Yes, you can install it on the new machine. You will have to
> activate it by telephone.

See R. C. White's response, which is more accurate.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

TRENDING THREADS