Unable to unset Read-Only attribute of folders

I am posting this query on this group because there is no similar group for
Windows XP.
I have a P4 machine with Windows XP ProfessionalSP1 nstalled on on it.
I am running IIS on the machine for testing my website.
Recently I tried running the commands for running scripting host commands:
-server.createobject(scripting.filesystemobject) in an asp page.
The asp page which was trying to run was basically aiming to upload files
to the server.
However ever since I have been experimenting with the asp page containing
the scripting command , all the folders on my hard drive have become read
only.
I am not able to reset the read only attribute of any of the folders. Even
if I unset the attribute, on rechecking i find that it is still read only.
I have checked the permissions in NTFS for all the folders.
am logging in as the administrator and am the owner of all the folders.
I have also set the permissions as "Full Control" on all the folders.
Ever since that problem, I have stopped using the ASP page.
Inspite of all this, I am still not able to unset the readonly permission to
any of the folders on my drive.
Any new folder that I create also becomes read only.
I am also unable to unset the readonly attribute of any new folder as well.
This problem is for any folder on my drive including the folders outside my
Internet publishing directory.
I think this problem might be related to the service pack or the version of
Windows Scripting Host. Does anyone have any idea if this problem is not
related to Scripting?.
Please help

S N
1 answer Last reply
More about unable unset read only attribute folders

    Hi, S N.

    >I am posting this query on this group because there is no similar group for
    > Windows XP.

    Microsoft would like us all to migrate to the "generic"
    microsoft.public.windows.file_system.

    Windows ignores the Read-only flag on folders (not on files), so they made
    it unchangeable. I've heard the explanation, but I still don't understand
    it. You can read it yourself here:
    You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549

    Whoops! Forgot I'm in the Win2K newsgroup. Try this one:
    Unable to Remove Read-Only Attribute from Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256614

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "S N" <uandme72@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am posting this query on this group because there is no similar group for
    > Windows XP.
    > I have a P4 machine with Windows XP ProfessionalSP1 nstalled on on it.
    > I am running IIS on the machine for testing my website.
    > Recently I tried running the commands for running scripting host commands:
    > -server.createobject(scripting.filesystemobject) in an asp page.
    > The asp page which was trying to run was basically aiming to upload files
    > to the server.
    > However ever since I have been experimenting with the asp page containing
    > the scripting command , all the folders on my hard drive have become read
    > only.
    > I am not able to reset the read only attribute of any of the folders. Even
    > if I unset the attribute, on rechecking i find that it is still read only.
    > I have checked the permissions in NTFS for all the folders.
    > am logging in as the administrator and am the owner of all the folders.
    > I have also set the permissions as "Full Control" on all the folders.
    > Ever since that problem, I have stopped using the ASP page.
    > Inspite of all this, I am still not able to unset the readonly permission
    > any of the folders on my drive.
    > Any new folder that I create also becomes read only.
    > I am also unable to unset the readonly attribute of any new folder as
    > well.
    > This problem is for any folder on my drive including the folders outside
    > my
    > Internet publishing directory.
    > I think this problem might be related to the service pack or the version
    > of
    > Windows Scripting Host. Does anyone have any idea if this problem is not
    > related to Scripting?.
    > Please help
    >
    > S N

Read Only Windows