Need help choosing a mobo for my E6400 rig

I'm at the tail end of putting together a brand new machine. Really the only thing left to buy is a motherboard and RAM. I've been trying to make heads or tails of the available mobos for Conroe, and all the random features they do or don't offer. I'm pretty much lost, and need some help.

The only two specific boards I've come up with are the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe and the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6. I'm certainly open to other suggestions, though!

As far as features, I know I want at least 4 SATA 3gb ports, preferably more than that. I'd like a board that will let me run a four-drive RAID 0+1, as well. I don't care a whole lot about the sound codec, unless it's better than the Diamond XS71 card I've got. I only need one IDE header (just using two optical drives) and one floppy header. I'm still undecided in the whole 975X/965 debate, because I don't have enough clear information about the problem.

What else I should be listing off? At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte DQ6. I'd appreciate any help/suggestions/advice/warnings!

My rig-in-progress (minus the mobo, RAM, and a good PSU):
Antec P180B
Ultra X-Finity 500W
Conroe E6400
MSI X1800XT
Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1
(2x) Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200rpm
NEC DVD+/-RW(DL)
Samsung 940BW 19" widescreen
7 answers Last reply
More about need choosing mobo e6400
  1. are you overclocking?
  2. Oops, sorry. I knew I'd forgotten something...

Yeah, I plan doing moderate overclocking. I won't be able to take the 6400 as far as it can go right away, because I don't have the budget for $450 RAM right now. For now, I'll be OCing just a bit. When I can afford to replace my RAM, I'll probably take the 6400 up to 80% or 90% of the stable maximum, so I need a board that can handle it.
  3. Quote:
    Oops, sorry. I knew I'd forgotten something...

Yeah, I plan doing moderate overclocking. I won't be able to take the 6400 as far as it can go right away, because I don't have the budget for $450 RAM right now. For now, I'll be OCing just a bit. When I can afford to replace my RAM, I'll probably take the 6400 up to 80% or 90% of the stable maximum, so I need a board that can handle it.

Conroe Buying Guide
    First you can refer to this recommendations page for Conroe supported motherboards and how well the overclock/perform...

the gigabyte 965p will do moderate overclocking, but if you want a good overclocker with the all the oc options then the Asus is the one to go with, the 975x as you will read is superior at overclocking than any 965 board,

i'm not sure the price difference but i thought they were in the same area...in other words if its only 10 bucks more for the Asus get it, also regarding your ram you'll also read on the bottom of the page i linked that cheaper ram is overclocking very well these days so you dont have to get the $450 just to be able to overclock although it does provide reasurrance...
  4. Quote:

the gigabyte 965p will do moderate overclocking, but if you want a good overclocker with the all the oc options then the Asus is the one to go with, the 975x as you will read is superior at overclocking than any 965 board,

look here at wusy's conroe overclockin guide he says you can use either gigabytes new 965 Mobos or the asus PSB deluxe or asus 975x DH to get a good overclock :) plus there are people who have got 500mhz fsb +/- with the gigabyte ds3/ds4/dq6 motherboards hehe :D thats like 2ghz fsb (QDR)!!!!
    http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-ftopict197995.html
  5. do you plan on running sli or crossfire? if not the gigabite 965-DS3 is the best mobo for the cpu for 100 dollars less than the two u listed.
  6. The Asus P5D Deluxe Wi-fi edition is a great performer and oc'er.
  7. For mild to moderate OCing the Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe not bad hits 320ish FSB with the current first release BIOS. Its a power hungry board that needs a 600W or better PS thats got 30A on the 3.3v and 5v rails. I am building a similar rig listed below.

Asus P5N32 SLI SE

C2D E6400 (mild OC at 300FSB)

Corsair XMS2 Twinx1024-5400C4 2x512 CAS 4-4-4-12@1.9v

XFX 7600GT 256MB x2 in SLI

Enermax Noisetaker 2 600W PS

2 WD 74GB raptors in RAID 0+1 with 2 80GB WD SATA drives

I still have the Mainboard and CPU left to buy been watching the prices come down. Ewiz looks to be where I will buy those from as the mainboard is down to $209 USD and the E6400 is at $235 atm. Sucks having to buy stuff every 2 weeks but thats when the damn paychecks come LOL
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking