Can I still collect Critical Updates without SP2??

October 29, 2004 3:48:53 AM

Advise please,

I plan to replace my C drive with a new 300gig drive, install XP/SP1 and all
of my needed apps. I would like to download all of the individual updates
that have not caused me problems so far. I have installed SP2 on my present
system drive and have had a variety of problems, only resolved by a System
Restore to a point before SP2, and even then was left with problems which
were a real nuisance to cure.

I would like to achieve a clean system, with critical updates as before, and
without SP2. How / where can I get the 'old' updates without the danger of
catching a SP2?

Please!

Pat
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 3:48:54 AM

Most users who have experienced problems after installing SP2 did so because
of viruses, spyware, fragmented disk drives, and out-of-date drivers. These
are all issues you would want to address independently of SP2 anyway.

If you are installing a clean system, install the base system and then
update to SP2 before installing anything else other than motherboard
drivers. SP1 is folded into SP2 anyway.

Make sure you have identified the latest video drivers from the video board
manufacturer's site. Certainly do not install any anti-virus software
before the OS is finished. You should not be afraid of SP2. With a clean
install you should not have any problems at all.

Note: It is usually unwise to restore back to a point before Sp2 was
installed without first uninstalling SP2. Much of the base OS was
recompiled for SP2 to include Date Execution Protection compatibility.

"Pat" <patchuff@wembleyduff.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Advise please,
>
> I plan to replace my C drive with a new 300gig drive, install XP/SP1 and
> all
> of my needed apps. I would like to download all of the individual updates
> that have not caused me problems so far. I have installed SP2 on my
> present
> system drive and have had a variety of problems, only resolved by a System
> Restore to a point before SP2, and even then was left with problems which
> were a real nuisance to cure.
>
> I would like to achieve a clean system, with critical updates as before,
> and
> without SP2. How / where can I get the 'old' updates without the danger of
> catching a SP2?
>
> Please!
>
> Pat

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 3:48:55 AM

Correction: Data Execution Protection.

> Most users who have experienced problems after installing SP2 did so
> because of viruses, spyware, fragmented disk drives, and out-of-date
> drivers. These are all issues you would want to address independently of
> SP2 anyway.
>
> If you are installing a clean system, install the base system and then
> update to SP2 before installing anything else other than motherboard
> drivers. SP1 is folded into SP2 anyway.
>
> Make sure you have identified the latest video drivers from the video
> board manufacturer's site. Certainly do not install any anti-virus
> software before the OS is finished. You should not be afraid of SP2.
> With a clean install you should not have any problems at all.
>
> Note: It is usually unwise to restore back to a point before Sp2 was
> installed without first uninstalling SP2. Much of the base OS was
> recompiled for SP2 to include Date Execution Protection compatibility.
>

> "Pat" <patchuff@wembleyduff.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Advise please,
>>
>> I plan to replace my C drive with a new 300gig drive, install XP/SP1 and
>> all
>> of my needed apps. I would like to download all of the individual updates
>> that have not caused me problems so far. I have installed SP2 on my
>> present
>> system drive and have had a variety of problems, only resolved by a
>> System
>> Restore to a point before SP2, and even then was left with problems which
>> were a real nuisance to cure.
>>
>> I would like to achieve a clean system, with critical updates as before,
>> and
>> without SP2. How / where can I get the 'old' updates without the danger
>> of
>> catching a SP2?
>>
>> Please!
>>
>> Pat

Related resources
October 30, 2004 12:07:26 AM

Colin,
Thank you. Has the feel of good advice. That's what I'll do!

Pat

> Most users who have experienced problems after installing SP2 did so
because
> of viruses, spyware, fragmented disk drives, and out-of-date drivers.
These
> are all issues you would want to address independently of SP2 anyway.
>
> If you are installing a clean system, install the base system and then
> update to SP2 before installing anything else other than motherboard
> drivers. SP1 is folded into SP2 anyway.
>
> Make sure you have identified the latest video drivers from the video
board
> manufacturer's site. Certainly do not install any anti-virus software
> before the OS is finished. You should not be afraid of SP2. With a clean
> install you should not have any problems at all.
>
> Note: It is usually unwise to restore back to a point before Sp2 was
> installed without first uninstalling SP2. Much of the base OS was
> recompiled for SP2 to include Date Execution Protection compatibility.
>

> "Pat" <patchuff@wembleyduff.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Advise please,
> >
> > I plan to replace my C drive with a new 300gig drive, install XP/SP1 and
> > all
> > of my needed apps. I would like to download all of the individual
updates
> > that have not caused me problems so far. I have installed SP2 on my
> > present
> > system drive and have had a variety of problems, only resolved by a
System
> > Restore to a point before SP2, and even then was left with problems
which
> > were a real nuisance to cure.
> >
> > I would like to achieve a clean system, with critical updates as before,
> > and
> > without SP2. How / where can I get the 'old' updates without the danger
of
> > catching a SP2?
> >
> > Please!
> >
> > Pat