Netstat.exe locked

I am running Windows 2000 server on a Dell poweredge and
am unable to delete a file in my System32 directory. The
file Netstat.exe is locked and cannot be deleted or
renamed. I have tried booting in safe mode and am still
unable to delete, rename, or run the program (I get
an "Access Denied" error).

The server is running Termial Services. I have another
server not running TS, and I have no problem. My main
concern is that I am unable to run updates, when I try and
load SP4 (from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel) the
install fails because Netstat.exe is locked.

Any ideas? I have thought about booting with a Linux CD
and trying to rename it, or copying the whole System32
Directory except the Netstat32 then trying to rename the
directory.

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about netstat locked

    I'll have to wait until tonight, but I'll give that a try.
    System has full control, but Administrator does not.

    Thanks,

    Rick

    windows 2000. The
    >system displays error.
    >
    >Please try the steps below and check if it resolves the
    issue.

    >1. Start the system in safe mode
    >2. Open the windows explorer
    >3. Right click on netstat.exe file, click on security tab
    >4. Make sure the following users have Full Control
    permission on the file.
    > System
    > Administrators
    >
    >Note: Please uncheck if there are any check marks for
    deny.

    >Now try installing SP4 for Windows 2000 in safe mode.
    >
    >Hope you will be able to install the service pack
    successfully.

    >Thank you,
    >
    >Rashmi

    confers no rights.
    >--------------------
    >From: "RickD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >Sender: "RickD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >Subject: Netstat.exe locked
    >Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:54:48 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system
    >
    >I am running Windows 2000 server on a Dell poweredge and
    >am unable to delete a file in my System32 directory. The
    >file Netstat.exe is locked and cannot be deleted or
    >renamed. I have tried booting in safe mode and am still
    >unable to delete, rename, or run the program (I get
    >an "Access Denied" error).
    >
    >The server is running Termial Services. I have another
    >server not running TS, and I have no problem. My main
    >concern is that I am unable to run updates, when I try
    and
    >load SP4 (from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel) the
    >install fails because Netstat.exe is locked.
    >
    >Any ideas? I have thought about booting with a Linux CD
    >and trying to rename it, or copying the whole System32
    >Directory except the Netstat32 then trying to rename the
    >directory.
    >
    >Thanks

netstat Servers Windows