Netstat.exe locked

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 7, 2004 6:54:48 PM

I am running Windows 2000 server on a Dell poweredge and
am unable to delete a file in my System32 directory. The
file Netstat.exe is locked and cannot be deleted or
renamed. I have tried booting in safe mode and am still
unable to delete, rename, or run the program (I get
an "Access Denied" error).

The server is running Termial Services. I have another
server not running TS, and I have no problem. My main
concern is that I am unable to run updates, when I try and
load SP4 (from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel) the
install fails because Netstat.exe is locked.

Any ideas? I have thought about booting with a Linux CD
and trying to rename it, or copying the whole System32
Directory except the Netstat32 then trying to rename the
directory.

Thanks

More about : netstat exe locked

June 8, 2004 2:41:52 PM

I'll have to wait until tonight, but I'll give that a try.
System has full control, but Administrator does not.

Thanks,

Rick

windows 2000. The
>system displays error.
>
>Please try the steps below and check if it resolves the
issue.

>1. Start the system in safe mode
>2. Open the windows explorer
>3. Right click on netstat.exe file, click on security tab
>4. Make sure the following users have Full Control
permission on the file.
> System
> Administrators
>
>Note: Please uncheck if there are any check marks for
deny.

>Now try installing SP4 for Windows 2000 in safe mode.
>
>Hope you will be able to install the service pack
successfully.

>Thank you,
>
>Rashmi

confers no rights.