Refridgerator Compressor

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
We've seen it before, but few of us have attempted to cool a CPU with a compressor.

I recently aquirred a small fridge that I have no need for, but works perfectly. I figure I can cool & overclock a CPU much better than a standard liquid cooling system. I'm just concerned about the unforseen complications.

So who's done it? Anyone have any ideas of how to approach the installation and problems ( condensation, etc)?

Forsaken1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Place a large reservoir in the frige and pipe coolant lines through the cabinet of frig.Condensation may be a issue on muggy days.Easy/lazy way to do it. :lol:

Cabletwitch

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I so dearly love it when I can prove people wrong on things like this :D

Ok, compressor cooling, also known as phase change cooling, has been around for longer than you think. There ARE products out there that use pretty much the same components as a fridge/freezer, only they're engineered for use with a PC.

Let me show you a few links...

The Vapochill unit

Prometeia Mach II GT

Those would probably be considered the most well known of the bunch, and as such, are excellent units. Temperatures of -55 and below are possible, even lower if you have the unit regassed with a better coolant.

So there you have it. Feel free to try and engineer your own cooler, but I will warn you now, that the gas inside the cooling loop of a pahse change compressor is NOT good for your health. If you break the pipes and inhale the gas, you WILL have problems breathing. Here spaks the voice of experiance. Also, if you fry your CPU, its your own loss.

If you really want phase change cooling, be smart and get a dedicated system.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Why not just drill 2 holes in the side, run your radiator block into the freezer, and fill the fridge with refreshments? 2 birds with one stone.
It's crackpot schemes like this that keep me on air cooling, BTW.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I like the idea of drilling holes in the cabinet of the fridge as long as I wouldn't hit the pipes carrying the collant, lol. The ambient temp of the fridge would work fine and since i can adjust it, all the better.

I like the idea of buying a compressor built for a computer. Thats the first time I've ever come across a cooler like that. Impressive, but I'm not willing to shell out 900 to keep it -50 F or less. If I had the cash, that would be perfect, but alas, I don't.

Has anyone drilled holes into a small refridgerator to place the radiator into? I'd be curious to actually see real world outcomes.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
if you want to make a water chiller, you first must have a powerful enough phase change setup to take the heat load which means regular fridges won't do.

i suggest using an AC unit and submerging the evap in coolant then circulating that in yoru loop and cut out the radiator.

^^^^ ghetto style

make your own phase change to buy one of the premade and you'll definitly get better temps (30degrees)

Cabletwitch

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
One major problem you havent considered so far is condensation. When that fridge cools everything down, thwe moisture inthe air is going to condense on the boards. This is what is known in the computer world as 'A Very Bad Thing'.

To combat this, you would need to seal the fridge comepletly, making it airtight, and ensure you have some sort of dessicant inthere to grab all the water in the air. You have to make sure all cable junctions are seald tightly, to make sure nothing else gets in. The door would have to be sealed up too. I'm not sure how happy an HDD would be in very low temperatures, but I certainly wouldnt try it.

The last thing you'd probably find is that the fridge would be unable to cope with the heat given off by the machine. Its designed to cool a small area down, and keep it cold. Its not designed to constantly suck out vast quantities of heat, and will quite possibly overload when it has to deal with a CPU, a GPU Northbridge and a HDD or two. At worst, you'll find it sucks up so much power it would be uneconomical to run it.

Lastly, commercial PCCs only cool the CPU, and are designed to be run constantly. If you listen to a fridge or freezer, it will run in cycels, when the temperature inside gets too warm. Its not on all the time, and is not designed to be run like that.

If you really are serious about it, look at the way the commercial units cool things, then work out how to build an evaporater head. Dont forget the insulation and heaters to prevent the condensation.

Cabletwitch

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The problem with that is you'll most likely end up freezing the coolant solid, which wouldnt be a good thing, in my opinion :D

You'd be better off running the cold air from the AC unit though the case, and even better if you make it into a closed loop. Still, it will be expensive to run like that, for the temp drop you'll get.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
add additives to yoru coolant, problem solved

its been proven time and time again, that the only way to approach the problem effectively and efficiently is the one i stated

Cabletwitch

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
its been proven time and time again, that the only way to approach the problem effectively and efficiently is the one i stated

What IS the method you stated then? If its the aircon one, then I dont think so. You'd be cooling a second loop of coolant, instead of the heatsource itself, so it wont be as efficient. Using a compressor to cool the CPU directly is a lot better, if its not exactly easier.

But hey, if you dont mind adding to the power bill then sure, knock yerself out. Otherwise, its not really a vaiable solution to the problem.