Hang using IE or OE after SP2 Install on clean system

Looking for help/advice please.
I have just completed the following steps:

Format a new hard disk (only disk in machine)
Instal XPHE from CD
Verify OE and IE work on internet (DSL connection) by browsing and sending
email
Update XP with all MS fixes prior to SP2
Verify everything works again
(note: no application s/w installed - just XPHE)
Install SP2
PC boots OK. Can move and copy files. Can play Solitaire. Can use Control
Panel.
So far so good.
Start IE (or OE) and after a few seconds the PC hangs (no mouse movement, no
activity, ACD won't work, screen shows browser window).
Power off/on and system boots again OK. All local functions OK.
PC hangs after any attempt to use the internet.

Preferred option now is to remove SP2 or repeat the install process again
and stop before SP2 install!

Any other suggestions please?

Ger

Just a note in case you reinstall the OS: SP2 is a rollup update and it is
not necessary to install previous updates first. SP2 plus the optional
updates offered are all you need.

"Ger" <gerdalt999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Looking for help/advice please.
> I have just completed the following steps:
>
> Format a new hard disk (only disk in machine)
> Instal XPHE from CD
> Verify OE and IE work on internet (DSL connection) by browsing and sending
> email
> Update XP with all MS fixes prior to SP2
> Verify everything works again
> (note: no application s/w installed - just XPHE)
> Install SP2
> PC boots OK. Can move and copy files. Can play Solitaire. Can use Control
> Panel.
> So far so good.
> Start IE (or OE) and after a few seconds the PC hangs (no mouse movement,
> no activity, ACD won't work, screen shows browser window).
> Power off/on and system boots again OK. All local functions OK.
> PC hangs after any attempt to use the internet.
>
> Preferred option now is to remove SP2 or repeat the install process again
> and stop before SP2 install!
>
> Any other suggestions please?
>
> Ger

Hi, Ger.

> Verify OE and IE work on internet (DSL connection) by browsing and sending
> email

This may be dangerous! Don't go online until you have some protection in
place. Many users have reported that an unprotected computer was infected
by some form of virus and/or other malware within minutes of going online.
:>( With a DSL connection, we are faced with a bit of the chicken-and-egg
dilemma. Especially if we don't have SP2 on a CD-ROM.

Next time, "pull the plug" and disconnect your modem from the phone line
before installing WinXP. Install WinXP, then install SP2 from CD. SP2
includes a firewall which will protect you from incoming intrusions long
enough to finish your installation. As Colin said, SP2 includes SP1 and
other pre-SP2 hotfixes, so there's no need to install those. After SP2 is
installed, plug in your DSL modem and install it with whatever settings your
ISP requires. Then, as soon as you can, install a third-party firewall
(free or commercial) to gain protection from outgoing risks, too, such as
from a program that tries to "phone home" with your secrets.

If you don't have the SP2 CD, you will need to connect DSL and accept WinXP
Setup's offer to update online immediately as a part of the installation
process. The point, of course, is to get at least minimal protection in
place BEFORE doing ANY browsing or emailing.

If your computer still hangs after this, then you may need updated drivers
for some of your hardware. But you should be confident that the problem is
internal and not coming from the Internet.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Ger.
>
>> Verify OE and IE work on internet (DSL connection) by browsing and
>> sending email
>
> This may be dangerous! Don't go online until you have some protection in
> place. Many users have reported that an unprotected computer was infected
> by some form of virus and/or other malware within minutes of going online.
> :>( With a DSL connection, we are faced with a bit of the chicken-and-egg
> dilemma. Especially if we don't have SP2 on a CD-ROM.
>
> Next time, "pull the plug" and disconnect your modem from the phone line
> before installing WinXP. Install WinXP, then install SP2 from CD. SP2
> includes a firewall which will protect you from incoming intrusions long
> enough to finish your installation. As Colin said, SP2 includes SP1 and
> other pre-SP2 hotfixes, so there's no need to install those. After SP2 is
> installed, plug in your DSL modem and install it with whatever settings
> your ISP requires. Then, as soon as you can, install a third-party
> firewall (free or commercial) to gain protection from outgoing risks, too,
> such as from a program that tries to "phone home" with your secrets.
>
> If you don't have the SP2 CD, you will need to connect DSL and accept
> WinXP Setup's offer to update online immediately as a part of the
> installation process. The point, of course, is to get at least minimal
> protection in place BEFORE doing ANY browsing or emailing.
>
> If your computer still hangs after this, then you may need updated drivers
> for some of your hardware. But you should be confident that the problem
> is internal and not coming from the Internet.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Ger" <gerdalt999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Looking for help/advice please.
>> I have just completed the following steps:
>>
>> Format a new hard disk (only disk in machine)
>> Instal XPHE from CD
>> Verify OE and IE work on internet (DSL connection) by browsing and
>> sending email
>> Update XP with all MS fixes prior to SP2
>> Verify everything works again
>> (note: no application s/w installed - just XPHE)
>> Install SP2
>> PC boots OK. Can move and copy files. Can play Solitaire. Can use Control
>> Panel.
>> So far so good.
>> Start IE (or OE) and after a few seconds the PC hangs (no mouse movement,
>> no activity, ACD won't work, screen shows browser window).
>> Power off/on and system boots again OK. All local functions OK.
>> PC hangs after any attempt to use the internet.
>>
>> Preferred option now is to remove SP2 or repeat the install process again
>> and stop before SP2 install!
>>
>> Any other suggestions please?
>>
>> Ger

Thanks RC and Colin for the advice.
The internet connection is thru a router/modem which has a built-in firewall
so unlikely that any infection has come in via the internet - I think!
I am starting to suspect drivers or the mobo bios.
But my approach now is to take off SP2 and see if that fixes the problem.
If it doesn't, I'll start again at the beginning and stop before SP2
install.

Ger