• No, I''d buy Merom

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • Maybe, if it cost less.

Votes: 16 22.5%

• Total voters

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
As some of you may knwo I was considering getting a Turion X2 laptop and I finally did it Friday. I got a CPQ with 1.6GHz/512KBx2/1024MB/100GB.

I have been putting it through it's paces with heavy Office use and Visual Studio/SQL Server and I can say that it is a VERY FAST chip for a notebook. It is much snappier than my old 754 3200+ even.

Because it only has a 6150 IGP, I won't be doing much gaming on it but may put Q2 on it since it should play it at native res of 1280x800. I was thinking of the one with the TL60 and GeForce Go 7200, but I saved $300 and there isn't much obvious difference in average use.

I can say I recommend it (Compaq V3030US) as a pretty heavy use portable. I'll probably get the TL 60 early next year.

I'll be glad to see a few Meroms I can play with whenever they show up in CompUSA. Intel is matched nearly evenly below 2.2GHz with AM2 and Turion X2.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Pictures?

wot u need pictures jus so he can prove he has his own laptop? thats completly dumb, if he sayshe has it y is it so hard 4 u 2 belive him??...... :roll:
Are you sure your not jumping to conclusions? Maybe he just wants to see it, not for "proof", just out of interest. I certainly cant say one way or the other, so it seems kind of foolish to attack without knowing.

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Pictures?

wot u need pictures jus so he can prove he has his own laptop? thats completly dumb, if he sayshe has it y is it so hard 4 u 2 belive him??...... :roll:
When you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Pictures?

Given the track record of the original poster, then it would be reasonable to ask for the notebook to be FedEx'd over to check it was real.

But in this case, I was more interested in pics of the performance of the new toy - it sounds nice.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
You have to admit though this has to be one of the few post he has made that does not spew fanboyism. Maybe he is finally coming around and realizing the error of his ways and not just look blindly to one product.

Ahh, but it takes time to overcome a reputation once its established. Especially one with the brick bunker of a foundation Barons built himself :wink:

Peace

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Pictures?

Are you sure your not jumping to conclusions? Maybe he just wants to see it, not for "proof", just out of interest. I certainly cant say one way or the other, so it seems kind of foolish to attack without knowing.

AMybe I can post a pic. Actually I'll just use the store pic.

Here you go. It's sexy. ALtec Lansing speakers and HD Audio.

V3030 HP.com

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You have to admit though this has to be one of the few post he has made that does not spew fanboyism. Maybe he is finally coming around and realizing the error of his ways and not just look blindly to one product.

I've never done that. I recommend Intel if people are interested in it. I don't try to get anyone to change their mind about the CPU they want. I like AMD others like Intel. End of statement.

The big problem is that too many of us act like this is an Intel forum and not a CPU forum.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

I've never done that. I recommend Intel if people are interested in it. I don't try to get anyone to change their mind about the CPU they want. I like AMD others like Intel. End of statement.

The big problem is that too many of us act like this is an Intel forum and not a CPU forum.

Cmon now Baron, this isnt an intel forum. There are people on both sides of that argument. The thing that POs people is when others post BS, false info, twist facts or conveniently "overlook" information to promote one perspective or the other 'ala' 9 inch.

Peace

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Pictures?

Heh.. I'd rather see pic's of 2 AM2 5000+ CPUs with the 4X4 MB, with benchmarks, instead of the Turion setup.

I'd say that maybe your XMas present if the schedule holds.

My XMas present? When ya gonna send it to me?

:eek: . o O (rethinks stradgey...)

Could ya just send me a Conroe setup instead? I'm sure there will be more stuff available for that setup, if 4X4 schedule doesn't hold up.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I've never done that.

Understatement of the century. However, it's nice to hear that you're happy with your laptop. Have you done anything about the bloatware? I'm surprised that Action_Man isn't all over this.

BaronMatrix: If you really have realized the error of your ways, then please disregard everything that I've said in this post. If you haven't, then f**k you

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

We will see if it lasts.... on that note, congrats to Baron for his purchase I am sure he will enjoy it.

Considering that Merom is starting to come out, the battery life matches Core Duo which exceeds most any Turion/Turion X2 life, and out peroforms 20-30% I would recommend against any Turion X2, but if you are staunch AMD supporter --- then this is a good system.

I realizer Merom WILL BE slightly ahead but I wanted a laptop now for my studio, etc. Who knows, maybe Merom will be in my future for work. I would like to hear more about BullDozer though. I'm brand loyal, but not a fanboi. AMD has always offered me enough speed to blaze through Windows.

I appreciate that, especially since they have always had a $100 CPU that is usually on par or faster than Intel's $100 offering. IMO.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Believe it or not, no sarcasm. :D

Congrats on your laptop. If you're happy with it, then that's all that counts.

Yeah, it's pretty snappy. I can use it for studio work (much quieter) and separate clients for some of my dev work. I considered Core Duo and they were pretty snappy but a review I saw showed X2 using less than 1W during standby. That means less turning off. Resume from hibernate is too slow.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I've never done that.

Understatement of the century. However, it's nice to hear that you're happy with your laptop. Have you done anything about the bloatware? I'm surprised that Action_Man isn't all over this.

BaronMatrix: If you really have realized the error of your ways, then please disregard everything that I've said in this post. If you haven't, then f**k you

It isn't too bad. The few things I left in the Run key are only using around 100MB. Before starting programs I'm only using 375MB(with about 32MB going to 6150) and that's with SQL Server starting up.

They actually don't seem to put as much on laptops in terms of startup mem chewers. I bought a Compaq desktop and had to blow it away. Once I get 2GB 667 I will be installing X64 on it. It even has a Vista sticker, though I won't being using Aero Premium.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
For that price I would most certainly consider it. AMD has always been my choice for budget computers and the Turion X2 seems like a very nice CPU for the money. And it can run 64-bit Windows, unlike the Core Duo. Merom will be better when it becomes available, but a Turion X2 will do just fine for me. Enjoy your purchase. :)

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I bought a Compaq desktop and had to blow it away.

I had an HP desktop with 1GB of RAM. On startup, on average, it was using 450-500MB of RAM. The computer felt slower and less responsive than the family Dell, which (at the time) had only 256MB RAM. When I reformatted the drive and reinstalled Windows, I was amazed at how much faster the computer was. The 3DMark05 score went up almost 1,000 points.

It even has a Vista sticker, though I won't being using Aero Premium.

Aero probably won't run on the integrated grahpics. IMO, Aero is eye candy at the expense of performance, and if I get Vista, I probably will keep it turned off.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, it's pretty snappy. I can use it for studio work (much quieter) and separate clients for some of my dev work. I considered Core Duo and they were pretty snappy but a review I saw showed X2 using less than 1W during standby. That means less turning off. Resume from hibernate is too slow.

Don't forget 64-bit. This is where AMD processors shines and no matter what these fanboys told you disregarding your purchase instead of an intel processor, they'll always suck in 64-bit compared to an AMD processor.

Nice purchase and enjoy it. :wink:

Kudos to your post about THG becoming an intel forum. Why you took so long to notice it?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Don't forget 64-bit. This is where AMD processors shines and no matter what these fanboys told you disregarding your purchase instead of an intel processor, they'll always suck in 64-bit compared to an AMD processor.

Nice purchase and enjoy it. :wink:

Kudos to your post about THG becoming an intel forum. Why you took so long to notice it?

Answer_to_Life.png