No sound

wait3264

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I reinstalled Windows 98 on an old Gateway GP6-400. Everything works except sound. I downloaded the drivers from Gateway and installed them but I get the yellow exclamation point next to the device in device manager. It also has one next to other PCI device. It has a Intel Tabor 2 BX motherboard with a 400MHz Pll processor. The only PCI cards I have are a network card (I can get online just fine and have the computer set up to share the printer)and a modem card. I even tried an old sound card that I had SB Live! and installed that, still no sound. Any suggestions? The sound worked before I reformatted. The computer was given to me and still had all the old files and info from the previous owner. Thus the reason for the reformat. I don't have the installation disks from Gateway so I used a regular copy of Windows 98. Thanks, Kay

I have a Gateway 450. It has been so long since I messed with it, I can't remember how I solved the same problem you are having. I do remember I solved it with the Gateway disk that came with the computer. I started having the sound problem when I upgraded to Windows XP Home upgrade. You might check the Gateway website for a needed driver.

TRENDING THREADS