I fried a DIMM and a DIMM slot - now what?

christrost

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Motherboard: Abit NF7-S version 2

I sold my computer to a friend because I built a new PC. However, I wanted to keep my own case so he got a new case and I transferred all of the components over to his new case. (This was a lot more of a hassle than I thought it would be.)

Anyways, to make a long story short, I fixed the last problem and was very excited that the computer was finally done so I could get it to my friend, and I put it back together very quickly and went to turn it on....and it didn't take long for me to realize I put one of my 512mb Dual-Channel DDR DIMMs in backwards. The smell of electrical fire quickly filled the room.

I opened the case back up and saw the slot that I plugged the DIMM into had several black spots all up and down the sides of it. The burn marks were on the plastic sidings of the slot itself, but I didn't see any on the motherboard or the neighboring DIMM slots.

I took the burnt DIMM out, hoping my other 512mb chip would still be enough to boot the computer, but of course, its not. The computer isn't even posting, no video goes to the screen. (With a dual-channel configuration, do you need both slots filled in order for it to work? Like RD-RAM?)

I also foolishly and desperately tried putting my last working DIMM into the other DIMM slot that didn't appear to be ddr. That obviously didn't work either.

Do I need to replace the entire motherboard, go non-DDR ram, or change my BIOS configuration to only use one of the dual-channel DIMM slots and keep trying to use my 1 working 512 chip?

I'm in an extreme hurry to get my friend his computer and if I need to order parts I need to do it soon. The ram is VDATA dual-channel ram by the way and I couldn't even find a website for the company. I got the ram and the motherboard in May of 2004 so I can pretty much guarantee the motherboard and RAM are both out of warranty.

Please advise.

Mondoman

Splendid
I took the burnt DIMM out, hoping my other 512mb chip would still be enough to boot the computer, but of course, its not. The computer isn't even posting, no video goes to the screen. (With a dual-channel configuration, do you need both slots filled in order for it to work? Like RD-RAM?)
If the rest of the MB was OK, it should have worked to have working RAM in one slot (dual channel mode would automatically turn off). Sadly, but as one would expect, given the circumstances, the MB is clearly dead.

Time for a new MB, and probably a new RAM stick as well. In order to run under dual-channel mode, you will likely have to buy 2 new identical sticks, as most MBs require that for dual channel mode (that's why sticks are often sold in matched pairs as "dual channel" packs).

PS - DDR is a type of memory, while "dual-channel" is a mode that a memory controller can operate in under certain conditions. Your memory type is determined by the MB design, with only one type per slot. Since you have 184-pin slots, your MB used DDR (and only DDR) memory.

christrost

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I guess I need to know which motherboard (and where to purchase it) that would effectively replace the one I've fried. I am not having much luck finding the Abit NF7-S ver.2 online since its been discontinued. Not for a reasonable price anyway.

Any other motherboards out there that would serve the same purpose, not sacrifice much in terms of speed/capabilities, and isn't over like $60? It's socket A so it shouldn't be that hard to find, but I am having trouble.

I'm working with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU btw.

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I guess I need to know which motherboard (and where to purchase it) that would effectively replace the one I've fried. I am not having much luck finding the Abit NF7-S ver.2 online since its been discontinued. Not for a reasonable price anyway.

Any other motherboards out there that would serve the same purpose, not sacrifice much in terms of speed/capabilities, and isn't over like $60? It's socket A so it shouldn't be that hard to find, but I am having trouble.

I'm working with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU btw.

If u live in the UK,

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=1089

Go on that link, 4 socket A mb's, cheap as chips will probably be back in stock soon, get 1 of those, that shoudl suffice with no performace drops.

christrost

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Mondoman, that looks perfect. What do you suggest in terms of a RAM replacement? I had 2 identical chips of Vdata 512MB 400mhz DDR. I can't find the exact same one anywhere. Don't tell me I have to buy 2 new identical ram chips if I can't find 1 of these.

christrost

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
It's strange.... TigerDirect has Vdata 512MB PC3200 DDR like I have, but the model # is slightly off. However, when I plug my model # of RAM into google (MDGvd5f3h4750d1e02) many people are referring to the manufacturer as Adata..... what's going on here

Mondoman

Splendid
I think vdata is probably a "generic" brand. Even if you could find one today, it wouldn't be the same design/chips as your 2 year old one (and thus would probably not work in dual channel mode), so you will need to buy a pair. However, you can certainly sell your single stick on eBay. 2x 512MB pairs go for roughly $100; here's a really fast pair: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4036032?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Here's another option: Currently, CompUSA is having a great rebate deal on Centon 512MB DDR400 ram for $29/stick after rebate: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=306218

The problem is that the limit is one rebate per address/person/etc; however, there's no rule against you buying one and claiming the rebate, and your friend buying one and claiming the rebate. Work out something to account for his extra $29 (+tax) outlay.

PS - The Centon is definitely more of a name brand than the vdata, so the 2x Centon would be better quality.

christrost

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
it was only in partially. I was in a hurry...same thing happens when you only have it in partially when its facing the right way. done that before too

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
how the hell did you put RAM in backwards?

it was only in partially. I was in a hurry...same thing happens when you only have it in partially when its facing the right way. done that before too

That's how.

you must have been in a real rush because I have almost done that before but just looking at the ram it was obvious one side wasn't all the way in. Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. You wonder why people are always so concerned about positive and negative feeds? This is why! good luck.