Sign in with
Your question

Help please! Adding a second ide hard drive

Last response: in Storage
August 28, 2006 12:11:43 AM

Hey guys! I have a friend that currently has a ide hard drive from western digital. He wants to add a second slave hard drive so that he will have extra storage space. My question is, after purchasing the hard drive, how do you format it so that windows reads it and enabling him to use the new hard drive. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

More about : adding ide hard drive

August 28, 2006 12:31:34 AM

This is a very simple install. Find out from WD and whoever made thw 2nd hdd what jumper configuration to use for master and slave(you should be able to find an idiot-proof diagram), and then simply connect the 2nd drive up on the other ide connection cable connection and connect the power. When the computer is started up windows should automatically recognize and format the new drive
August 28, 2006 2:38:24 AM

Thanks for replying :)  Just another quick question. When i install it, do i need to go to the bios to format or is it automatic? Thanks again
Related resources
August 28, 2006 3:16:48 AM

Windows formats the drive. It should prompt you to format now or later, telling you that you must format before you can use it. If not, then you can manually format it from within windows by going to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, and select Disk Managment from the left, and then you should see a new hard drive without any partitions on it, just right click that bar (lower portion of screen) and choose Format...
August 28, 2006 10:04:22 PM

Thanks a bunch!
August 28, 2006 10:35:04 PM

Quote:
Windows formats the drive. It should prompt you to format now or later, telling you that you must format before you can use it.

Just a quick note, I've never had Windows prompt me to format a new drive (unless I was installing Windows at the time. But the Computer management part is accurate.
!