Dynamic unreadable after reinstall

I recently purchased a new 250GB hard drive. I added it to my
computer, and formatted it as a dynamic disk with two NTFS partitions.
I moved a bunch of data from my boot disk onto the new disk.

I then reinstalled Win2k. During the install, I did not touch the new
disk at all. I did reformat my original boot disk, but I did not
change any existing partitions on the boot disk.

However, after the the reinstall, my dynamic disk doesn't show up at
all in "My Computer". I get no errors in the event log. Disk
Management shows only "Dynamic Unreadable".

I've searched groups the net for fixing this problem... I found many
postings pointing to
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=236086
and
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320283

but neither of those articles seem to apply here because
1) it is not my boot disk
2) I'm not getting any errors
3) I never used any partitioning utilities to change the part
table

Also, when I use Diskprobe, the partition table already shows a
single, type 0x42 partition on that disk.

I've tried iRecover to see if it found anything, but it doesn't even
show anything on the disk.

So, how do I recover the partitions on this disk?

Below is part of the "dmdiag -v" output for the disk in question (last
two columns deleted to avoid word wrap). It really bugs me that it
only shows 128GB for the disk size...

---------- ldmsize 2 ----------

16,709 Cylinders
255 Tracks/Cylinder
63 Sectors/Track
512 Bytes/Sector
12 MediaType
268,430,085 Sectors (total)
137,436,203,520 Bytes (total)
134,215,043 KB
131,069 MB
128.0 GB

0 StartingOffset
137,438,952,960 PartitionLength
0 HiddenSectors
0 PartitionNumber
0 PartitionType
0 BootIndicator
0 RecognizedPartition
0 RewritePartition

4 PartitionCount
42c57625 Signature

Starting Partition hidden total part part boot
Offset length sectors sectors num type ind.
32,256 250,056,705,024 63 488,392,002 0 0x42 0
0 0 0 0 1 0x00 0
0 0 0 0 2 0x00 0
0 0 0 0 3 0x00 0

137,436,203,520 Bytes (268430085 sectors) Geometric size
9,223,372,036,854,775,296 Bytes ( -1 sectors) True size
(measured)
137,438,952,960 Bytes (268435455 sectors) Reported size (Partition0)
9,223,371,899,415,822,336 Bytes (-268435456 sectors) missing/wasted
3 answers Last reply
More about dynamic unreadable reinstall

    "Robert Jacobson" <q2m3eft02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a new 250GB hard drive. I added it to my
    > computer, and formatted it as a dynamic disk with two NTFS partitions.
    > I moved a bunch of data from my boot disk onto the new disk.
    >
    > I then reinstalled Win2k. During the install, I did not touch the new
    > disk at all. I did reformat my original boot disk, but I did not
    > change any existing partitions on the boot disk.
    >
    > However, after the the reinstall, my dynamic disk doesn't show up at
    > all in "My Computer". I get no errors in the event log. Disk
    > Management shows only "Dynamic Unreadable".
    >
    > I've searched groups the net for fixing this problem... I found many
    > postings pointing to
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=236086
    > and
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320283
    >
    > but neither of those articles seem to apply here because
    > 1) it is not my boot disk
    > 2) I'm not getting any errors
    > 3) I never used any partitioning utilities to change the part
    > table

    I had the same problem with a 180 GB after reinstalling Windows 2000 Pro,
    this fixed it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

    James

    "Robert Jacobson" <q2m3eft02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a new 250GB hard drive. I added it to my
    > computer, and formatted it as a dynamic disk with two NTFS partitions.
    > I moved a bunch of data from my boot disk onto the new disk.
    >
    > I then reinstalled Win2k. During the install, I did not touch the new
    > disk at all. I did reformat my original boot disk, but I did not
    > change any existing partitions on the boot disk.
    >
    > However, after the the reinstall, my dynamic disk doesn't show up at
    > all in "My Computer". I get no errors in the event log. Disk
    > Management shows only "Dynamic Unreadable".
    >
    > I've searched groups the net for fixing this problem... I found many
    > postings pointing to
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=236086
    > and
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320283
    >
    > but neither of those articles seem to apply here because
    > 1) it is not my boot disk
    > 2) I'm not getting any errors
    > 3) I never used any partitioning utilities to change the part
    > table

    I had the same problem with a 180 GB after reinstalling Windows 200 Pro,
    this fixed it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

    James
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    "JS" <jmsmith@<NO~$PAM>go-airinc.com> wrote in message news:<cadogc08r7@enews4.newsguy.com>...

    > I had the same problem with a 180 GB after reinstalling Windows 2000 Pro,
    > this fixed it.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098
    >
    > James

    OMG thank you, that worked. Funny thing is, I knew about the
    EnableLBA setting, but I totally forgot about it!

Windows