Mapping Second Hard Drive

I am running Windows 2000 Professional. I have just
installed a second hard drive that has Windows 98 as its
operating system. How do I view the files on this second
hard drive within Windows explorer ? I tried this through
mapping a network drive but when I clicked on the second
hard drive (after clicking on "Browse") the OK button
remained greyed-out (ie. remained unavailable).

Thanks,

Dave.
5 answers Last reply
More about mapping hard drive

    You don't map local drives - they should just show up in Explorer. Is it
    showing up properly in disk manager?

    Dave wrote:
    > I am running Windows 2000 Professional. I have just
    > installed a second hard drive that has Windows 98 as its
    > operating system. How do I view the files on this second
    > hard drive within Windows explorer ? I tried this through
    > mapping a network drive but when I clicked on the second
    > hard drive (after clicking on "Browse") the OK button
    > remained greyed-out (ie. remained unavailable).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave.

    I am guessing you are referring to the "Computer
    Management" within "Manage" of "My Computer". I selected
    Disk Management within the tree of computer management and
    only my original hard-drive is listed (two drives as I
    have it partioned as C:\ and F:\). The second hard drive
    is not listed.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi, Dave(?).

    Some HDs must be mounted or initialized when moved into a WinXP computer.
    Details are in the Help file reached from Disk Management, but I haven't had
    to use this procedure so I can't tell you about it from experience.

    "Disk Manager" was the name of a program in WinNT4. "Disk Management" (note
    the subtle name change) is the name of the much more capable built-in
    utility (snap-in to the Microsoft Management Console, to be technical) in
    Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Disk Management creates, deletes and formats
    partitions and logical drives, replacing the venerable FDISK and Format.exe
    that we used in MS-DOS back in the 20th Century. It also assigns and
    reassigns "drive" letters, which we did with Device Manager in Win9x/ME. (I
    just wish Microsoft could find names that would let us use short references
    to these programs; we can't use "DM" because that could refer to Device
    Manager or Disk Manager or Disk Management. <grrr>)

    I have no experience at all with networks. Is it possible that your first
    attempt to "map" the drive has interfered with Disk Management's ability to
    see and manage that HD?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    >I am guessing you are referring to the "Computer
    > Management" within "Manage" of "My Computer". I selected
    > Disk Management within the tree of computer management and
    > only my original hard-drive is listed (two drives as I
    > have it partioned as C:\ and F:\). The second hard drive
    > is not listed.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Have you set the disk jumpers to slave?
    Is the drive seen in yr bios?

    > I am guessing you are referring to the "Computer
    > Management" within "Manage" of "My Computer". I selected
    > Disk Management within the tree of computer management and
    > only my original hard-drive is listed (two drives as I
    > have it partioned as C:\ and F:\). The second hard drive
    > is not listed.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    i think you should first open it thru Computer Management then Disk
    Management
    because it maybe has no Drive Letter and you should assign one for it
    goto Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management
    then from the left pane choose Disk Management then in the right pane
    select the second phisical drive
    if it has a dribe letter you should see it
    other wise right click on this disk
    then choose Change or Add a drive letter
    then give it a drive letter
    then you can open it by right click it then choose Open

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:29:14 -0700, "Dave"

    >I am running Windows 2000 Professional. I have just
    >installed a second hard drive that has Windows 98 as its
    >operating system. How do I view the files on this second
    >hard drive within Windows explorer ? I tried this through
    >mapping a network drive but when I clicked on the second
    >hard drive (after clicking on "Browse") the OK button
    >remained greyed-out (ie. remained unavailable).
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Dave.

Hard Drives Mapping Windows