Yet another 'need help building a system thread'

Fubz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I just landed a new job (CCIE) and I'm feeling the need to throw my 4yr old computer out the window.

I'm working with about 2K (minus shipping). I would like it to be able to play current games, perhaps a little bit more important I want it to scream ripping/encoding DVDs, movies etc.

Case:

PSU:

CPU:

MB:

Memory:

Video Card:

Sound Card:

If anybody could take a moment and gently nudge an old routing guy that just didn't have the time to keep up on PC hardware a little help.

Thanks

Fubz

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Case; IDK, you pick

PSU; OCZ, Enermax, PC&P, Sparkle, Thermaltake, FSP, Antec...

CPU: C2D E6300

mobo: Asus P5B

Ram: Crucial, Corsair, PDP, G.Skill, OCZ DDR2 800 (2x1GB)

Video card: X1900XT

Sound card: Hmm Auzentech I like

go to newegg and start constructing a list and tell us what you come up with.

Fubz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Case; IDK, you pick

PSU; OCZ, Enermax, PC&P, Sparkle, Thermaltake, FSP, Antec...

CPU: C2D E6300

mobo: Asus P5B

Ram: Crucial, Corsair, PDP, G.Skill, OCZ DDR2 800 (2x1GB)

Video card: X1900XT

Sound card: Hmm Auzentech I like

go to newegg and start constructing a list and tell us what you come up with.

Okay I'll start a list based upon your specs as a starting point. Thanks for your time.

edit 1: What kind of Wattage do I need to get, more the better huh?

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
you intend to spend 2k or that's your ceiling and you'd like to keep costs down?

I'm just sitting here thinking that you could build a really nice system for 2k. For example a nice big widescreen LCD, SLI or crossfire setup, a higher end core 2 duo chip (especially for encoding), a set of Klipsch speakers, etc.

Fubz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
To be totally honest, 2K is my approx budget, but I am so frustrated with my current setup that I want to "GO BIG".

I would love to be able to be playing a current game with full grahpics settings maxed on one flat panel, while on the other flat panel would be a dvd encode/decode/rip.

I mean hell right now I can't surf the Internet and listen to winamp the songs skip so you can see where my frustration is comming from.

Thanks for your time, I really do appreciate it.

Fubz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1066MHz FSB 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor $193

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply $130

ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard $259

Crucial Technology Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory $340

GIGABYTE GV-RX19T512VB-RH Radeon X1900XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 428.99

AuzenTech XPlosion 7.1 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card 115.00

~ Total: 1465

Thanks for the starting point. What does everybody think about my current list?

thx

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
the xplosion is an amazing soundcard (i have one myself) but i have to say something important about it.

this soundcard is great because it does dts and ddl encoding. (ill explain this in lamest terms)

there are 2 types of surround sound connections, analogue and digital. -analouge you will use 1 cable for every 2 channels, and hook them into either your computer speaker set or A/v receiver.

-1 cable is used and it goes to the speaker set or receiver. in order to achieve surround sound with this connection, the sound needs to be encoded into a compatable digital surround format, like ddl or dts (dts is just a better quality of ddl). movies are pre encoded in ddl or dts, so you wouldnt need a special card that encodes in ddl or dts to get surround sound from them. GAMES on the other hand, need to be encoded by the sound card.

if you intend to use a digital connection, get the Xplosion (i use a receiver setup and it's awesome)

but if you are planning on using an analogue setup, you dont need to spend the extra cash for the xplosion. i would recommend a creative xfi xtreme music instead

you havent mentioned speakers yet, so i figured i could give you a heads up on the sound situation

in my opinion, sound is almost as important as graphics in FPS games. it gives the effect that YOU are in the game, as opposed to looking through a window into the game.

so if you are going digital connection, get the xplosion. if not, i would say the xfi is a better option!

feel free to pm me or just post below if you have any questions.

i would recommend building with the e6600 as you can definitly get it into a build for under 2k and it is really really really fast. i mean it consistantly OWNS an fx 62, not that the e6300 isnt fast, but for 2k build, try to fit in an e6600