ActiveSync 3.8

January 7, 2005 10:05:36 AM

I just ran across this...

Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

More about : activesync

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:32:59 PM

Installed over 3.7.1 with no issues. It may be a tad faster (subjective
opinion of course) but otherwise I'm not seeing any difference. Genuine,
honest-to-goodness maintenance release....

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

news:o AeWSmL9EHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I just ran across this...

> Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:52:46 PM

An addendum...

Based on history, _unless_ you are having problems with the current
version of activesync you are using, this is one program where I
strongly recommend not installing until the "first use" reports are out
and it has run long enough to prove it's stability in the field.

Thanks to Al, Nitram, Michael and Clinton for taking the first steps
toward that... keep your fingers crossed... (we mvp's learned about this
release from the posts here ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
January 7, 2005 2:05:19 PM

Agreed. Just because Al, Nitram, Michael and I have tried it out, it
doesn't mean it is for everyone. ActiveSync is picky at times and I've on
more than one occasion had to downgrade back to a previous version to get
things right again. We just, erm, like punishment? ;-) And honestly, none
of us have had it installed long enough to run into any issues yet.

Anyway, it may be a good idea until some sort of offical word comes down
from Microsoft (via MS directly or the MVP corps) on what *exactly* the
improvements/changes/fixes/upgrades are in this version and see if they
resolve/address an issue you are experiencing.

My two shillings!

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

message news:o LbeRlN9EHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> An addendum...
>
> Based on history, _unless_ you are having problems with the current
> version of activesync you are using, this is one program where I strongly
> recommend not installing until the "first use" reports are out and it has
> run long enough to prove it's stability in the field.
>
> Thanks to Al, Nitram, Michael and Clinton for taking the first steps
> toward that... keep your fingers crossed... (we mvp's learned about this
> release from the posts here ;-)
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
January 7, 2005 4:23:34 PM

Sooner Al wrote:
> I just ran across this...

8d13-653beb6cdddc&DisplayLang=en

> Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...

Seemed to install okay without breaking anything. First synch worked okay
too.

Martin
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:23:35 PM

Same here. I installed over AS 3.7.1...

--

"Nitram" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message news:347gpjF487ikaU1@individual.net...
> Sooner Al wrote:
>> I just ran across this...

> 8d13-653beb6cdddc&DisplayLang=en
>>
>> Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
>
> Seemed to install okay without breaking anything. First synch worked okay
> too.
>
> Martin

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:23:36 PM

Sooner Al wrote:
> Same here. I installed over AS 3.7.1...

fyi. I was able to successfully sync both my smartphone and pocket pc
via bluetooth with 3.8. Looks good but I wish I knew what was fixed.
January 7, 2005 4:28:14 PM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:52:46 -0600, Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:

>(we mvp's learned about this release from the posts here ;-)
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

WOW you kidding! but thank goodness you are in here too Beverly! ;)

Me
--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln

installed 3.8 over 3.7.1 in win 2000
will not recognize my existing partnership (wants to set up new partnership)
up until the time it gets to name partnership. tells me name already in use
and I need to rename my device, uncradled the device, so I could delete the
old partnership, but activesync says no partnership exists, therefore I am
unable to delete. uninstalled 3.8 and re-installed 3.7.1 - no joy
had to re-name device and set-up new partnership.

news:o AeWSmL9EHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| I just ran across this...

| Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
|
| --
| Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
|
| Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
benefit of all of us...
| The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
rights...

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:02:48 PM

Group,

ActiveSync Passthrough for PIE seems to be much, much more responsive.
That's about the only difference I've found....

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

news:o AeWSmL9EHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I just ran across this...

> Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 8:26:24 PM

"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>I just ran across this...
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>
>Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=3633...

Straight from Microsoft: "ActiveSync 3.8 contains a set of security
enhancements that provide a more secure syncing experience with a
Windows PC, specifically:

Windows XP SP2 security pop up warnings that appear the first time a
Windows Mobile devices is docked have been eliminated

Remote PC Sync (via Wifi or LAN) is turned off by default. However,
users can turn this functionality back on."

If you have 3.7.1, there is no need to get 3.8.
January 7, 2005 8:36:55 PM

>> If you have 3.7.1, there is no need to get 3.8. <<

Strongly second Ed's suggestion.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:11:50 PM

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:05:36 -0600, Sooner Al wrote:

Why does it say:

|System Requirements
|
| *
|
| Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP

And then:

| Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with SP6 or later, or Windows 98

Anyway, 3.7.1 isn't broken here, so why should I fix it?

--
s|b
Anonymous

Take a look at my post in this thread earlier. I agree: If you don't have
an issue with your current version of ActiveSync, stick with it.

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

"s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:05:36 -0600, Sooner Al wrote:
>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>
> Why does it say:
>
> |System Requirements
> |
> | *
> |
> | Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP
>
> And then:
>
> | Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows
> NT Workstation 4.0 with SP6 or later, or Windows 98
>
> Anyway, 3.7.1 isn't broken here, so why should I fix it?
>
> --
> s|b
January 7, 2005 11:41:32 PM

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:05:36 -0600, "Sooner Al"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>I just ran across this...
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>
>Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...

New USB drivers for the 2400 series. Cleared up a minor problem I was
having when the unit is in the cradle at midnight.

A_C
January 7, 2005 11:43:48 PM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:26:24 -0600, "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile
Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote:

>If you have 3.7.1, there is no need to get 3.8.

Very inappropriate advice... Some people using 3.7.1 will benefit from
this release. Epically 2400 series users.

A_C
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:03:13 AM

You can fix this by opening up regedit and navigating to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners

Under there there will be an 8 length hex value key you can delete the
offending key.
To asscertiain the key you need to open up the values and look up the
'DisplayName' String. The one that has your old partnership name will be the
one causing the problem.

As always be very careful in the registry with what you're doing.

--
Chris Tilley
Editor-in-Chief

"KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> installed 3.8 over 3.7.1 in win 2000
> will not recognize my existing partnership (wants to set up new
> partnership)
> up until the time it gets to name partnership. tells me name already in
> use
> and I need to rename my device, uncradled the device, so I could delete
> the
> old partnership, but activesync says no partnership exists, therefore I am
> unable to delete. uninstalled 3.8 and re-installed 3.7.1 - no joy
> had to re-name device and set-up new partnership.
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o AeWSmL9EHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> | I just ran across this...

> | Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
> |
> | --
> | Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> |
> | Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> benefit of all of us...
> | The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:50:21 AM

Hmm, can't sync right now, could be conflicting with Zone Alarm (it's
re-registered the executables) so I'll reboot and see what happens ;-)

Cheers - Neil

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:05:36 -0600, "Sooner Al"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>I just ran across this...
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>
>Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:36:40 AM

"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:26:24 -0600, "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile
> Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote:
>
> >If you have 3.7.1, there is no need to get 3.8.
>
> Very inappropriate advice... Some people using 3.7.1 will benefit from
> this release. Epically 2400 series users.
>
> A_C

Was hoping it might be a bit better at CPU resources but so far it's about
the same in speed and such. I see no difference in PIE browsing as reported
by others, no faster syncing that I can see and has actually locked on me
once so far.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:02:35 PM

Reply to message from Agent_C <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> (Sat, 08 Jan
2005 03:43:48) about "Re: Re: ActiveSync 3.8":

>> If you have 3.7.1, there is no need to get 3.8.

> Very inappropriate advice... Some people using
> 3.7.1 will benefit from this release. Epically 2400 series users.

OK, now I'M curious. What does this offer for 2400 users?

--
Marlof Bregonje, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices http://www.windowsmobile.com
January 8, 2005 12:02:36 PM

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:02:35 +0200, Marlof Bregonje
<askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote:

>OK, now I'M curious. What does this offer for 2400 users?

Updated USB drivers.

A_C
January 8, 2005 12:55:55 PM

The naysayers need to get out more...its new software, and we live for new
software!! - even if it is just updated microsoft stuff. Some updated
hardware would be nice too, but you have to pay for that. I say let the
novices install it....and then let them uninstall it if it stuffs up - its
all part of the learning curve. <my experience is limited too having to
re-click an ethernet connection box and reinstall Avantgo 5.7...I think it
may be a tad more stable, but I have a dodgy connector on my 5550 so its
really all in the wrist action for me>

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:05:36 -0600, "Sooner Al"
> <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I just ran across this...
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>>Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
>
> New USB drivers for the 2400 series. Cleared up a minor problem I was
> having when the unit is in the cradle at midnight.
>
> A_C

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 2:25:29 PM

Reply to message from Agent_C <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> (Sat, 08 Jan
2005 11:32:03) about "Re: Re: Re: ActiveSync 3.8":

> Updated USB drivers.

Cool, the first one benefitting from the update already. :)  I think what Ed
meant to say is that 3.7.1 works for you without flaws, you won't get
anything extra out of 3.8.

--
Marlof Bregonje, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices http://www.windowsmobile.com
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 2:55:08 PM

No, works now (Win2k, Dell X3i, AS3.8, Zone Alarm 5.5.062)

No perceptible differences though, apart from Favourites finally seems
to have synced that last item that would never sync before.

Cheers - Neil

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:50:21 GMT, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
<neil@nospam.com> wrote:

>Hmm, can't sync right now, could be conflicting with Zone Alarm (it's
>re-registered the executables) so I'll reboot and see what happens ;-)
>
>Cheers - Neil
>
>On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:05:36 -0600, "Sooner Al"
><SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I just ran across this...
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>>Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:33:35 PM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> >> If you have 3.7.1, there is no need to get 3.8. <<
>
> Strongly second Ed's suggestion.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

I'll voice a third supportive opinion. ;-)

Advice for AvantGo users (v5.7): If you want to avoid the arduous task
of tweaking here and there, you'll find that you will have to reinstall
AvantGo again to get it to work.

--
Darius Wey
Pocket PC Thoughts
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:33:36 PM

I installed 3.8 over 3.7.1 this morning. The usual slow down at 92% occurs
during the installation and I had to re-install Avantgo 5.7 to get it to
sync properly as Darius reported. Otherwise no problems.

"Darius Wey" <darius.nospam@pocketpcthoughts.com> wrote in message

>> Strongly second Ed's suggestion.
>>
>> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>
> I'll voice a third supportive opinion. ;-)
>
> Advice for AvantGo users (v5.7): If you want to avoid the arduous task of
> tweaking here and there, you'll find that you will have to reinstall
> AvantGo again to get it to work.
>
> --
> Darius Wey
> Pocket PC Thoughts
> http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:53:39 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention you should clear the old profile folder from:

(2000 / XP / 2003)

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application
Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\

or (Single User 9x)

C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\

or (NT4)

C:\WinNT\Profiles\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\

You'll be needing the older hex value again.

--
Chris Tilley
Editor-in-Chief
HPC:Factor
http://www.hpcfactor.com/
HPC:Factor HPC Forums
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/

"KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> installed 3.8 over 3.7.1 in win 2000
> will not recognize my existing partnership (wants to set up new
> partnership)
> up until the time it gets to name partnership. tells me name already in
> use
> and I need to rename my device, uncradled the device, so I could delete
> the
> old partnership, but activesync says no partnership exists, therefore I am
> unable to delete. uninstalled 3.8 and re-installed 3.7.1 - no joy
> had to re-name device and set-up new partnership.
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o AeWSmL9EHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> | I just ran across this...

> | Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
> |
> | --
> | Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> |
> | Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> benefit of all of us...
> | The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:56:06 PM

Actually the USB drivers are identical to the ones in the 3.7.1 release.

3.7.0: 10/01/2002, 1.0.2.1
3.7.1: 09/01/2003, 3.7.1.3244
3.8.0: 09/01/2003, 3.7.1.3244

--

> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:02:35 +0200, Marlof Bregonje
> <askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote:
>

>>OK, now I'M curious. What does this offer for 2400 users?
>
> Updated USB drivers.
>
> A_C

January 8, 2005 3:56:07 PM

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:56:06 -0000, "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor"
<chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote:

>Actually the USB drivers are identical to the ones in the 3.7.1 release.
>
>3.7.0: 10/01/2002, 1.0.2.1
>3.7.1: 09/01/2003, 3.7.1.3244
>3.8.0: 09/01/2003, 3.7.1.3244

How did it clear up my USB problem then? Every night at midnight, when
the unit activates to do housekeeping, the USB drivers would
re-install. After updating to 3.8, it hasn't happened.

A_C
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:47:47 PM

That is caused by a driver registration error.
3.8 resets the driver connections - all USB connected devices are
reinstalled when you first connect. It may be for people with your specific
problem that Microsoft chose to implement the driver reload. It doesn't
perform this driver reset in an especially tidy way mind.
However it is the same driver catalogue, version and build number.

--

> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:56:06 -0000, "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor"
> <chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote:
>
>>Actually the USB drivers are identical to the ones in the 3.7.1 release.
>>
>>3.7.0: 10/01/2002, 1.0.2.1
>>3.7.1: 09/01/2003, 3.7.1.3244
>>3.8.0: 09/01/2003, 3.7.1.3244
>
> How did it clear up my USB problem then? Every night at midnight, when
> the unit activates to do housekeeping, the USB drivers would
> re-install. After updating to 3.8, it hasn't happened.
>
> A_C

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:27:13 PM

Sooner Al wrote:

> I just ran across this...

> Note that I have not installed this yet...as always, YMMV...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

In some thread I read about a memory leak in AS whenever the PDA is soft reset while AS runs; it would become
only serious after this is done several hundred times. But since the leaked memory is stored at a backup, the
problem would eventually emerge.
Might that be solved?

--
Veel plezier / Have fun
Bert

Mail via hccnet.nl
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 11:55:13 PM

Oh yea. Always has at 92%.

They seriously need to get it off of the ancient Install Shield wrapper and
into a MSI 3 wrapped distributable. Then we can get the puppy out through AD
client installation - tidily.

--

"Shawn E. Hale" <SEHaleNOSPAM1@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I installed 3.8 over 3.7.1 this morning. The usual slow down at 92% occurs
>during the installation and I had to re-install Avantgo 5.7 to get it to
>sync properly as Darius reported. Otherwise no problems.
>
> "Darius Wey" <darius.nospam@pocketpcthoughts.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Strongly second Ed's suggestion.
>>>
>>> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>>
>> I'll voice a third supportive opinion. ;-)
>>
>> Advice for AvantGo users (v5.7): If you want to avoid the arduous task of
>> tweaking here and there, you'll find that you will have to reinstall
>> AvantGo again to get it to work.
>>
>> --
>> Darius Wey
>> Pocket PC Thoughts
>> http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:46:00 AM

>> its new software, and we live for new software!! <<

In general, agree with you, but, have you been following Activesync
upgrades long? ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
January 9, 2005 2:09:35 PM

Since whatever came out with the iPaq 3630.....it may not be everyone's
experience, but I have found the major releases to be beneficial. I tend to
think thus; if Microsoft spent the money producing a revision, then it must
have some value. Perhaps not to me everytime, but likely more often than
not. And if I update and it doenst benefit me, or benefits me adversely -
then I downgrade. And I would estimate that I have become more proficient
installing & using software in the process. Thats why I dont subscribe to
the 'if its not broke, dont try to fix it' philosphy. It may not be broke,
but it may also not be optimal. <hear the engineer speaking> Cheers Bev,
you're a legend - you majorly offer the best and most sensible advice I read
in this newsgroup.

message news:eStJB6g9EHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >> its new software, and we live for new software!! <<
>
> In general, agree with you, but, have you been following Activesync
> upgrades long? ;-)

January 10, 2005 7:58:21 PM

Agent_C <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:26:24 -0600, "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile
>Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote:
>
>>If you have 3.7.1, there is no need to get 3.8.
>
>Very inappropriate advice... Some people using 3.7.1 will benefit from
>this release. Epically 2400 series users.

Why? Please specify.
January 10, 2005 7:58:59 PM

Agent_C <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:56:06 -0000, "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor"
><chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote:
>
>>Actually the USB drivers are identical to the ones in the 3.7.1 release.
>>
>>3.7.0: 10/01/2002, 1.0.2.1
>>3.7.1: 09/01/2003, 3.7.1.3244
>>3.8.0: 09/01/2003, 3.7.1.3244
>
>How did it clear up my USB problem then? Every night at midnight, when
>the unit activates to do housekeeping, the USB drivers would
>re-install. After updating to 3.8, it hasn't happened.

Honestly, a 3.7.1 reinstall might have done the same thing.
January 10, 2005 10:16:25 PM

Marlof I beg to differ about the 3.7.1, when I installed it all of a
sudden I could't sync, still can't sync my ipaq with my computer, I'm
hoping with 3.8 maybe I'l be able to, but I'd also like to know if you
have any suggestions as to why I could sync before and when I installed
3.7.1 the computer and ipaq quit talking to each other.

!