OCing: Safe Volts, Cool 'n' Quiet, and Some Other Q's

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
So, perhaps this a n00b question, but it seems that no one has bothered to make a sticky about this (hint, hint). I am aware of the "no more" than 20-25% voltage increase on air, but considering newer technologies, I don't know if that still applies...

Anyways, here's the deal. I'm overclocking my CPU but I don't want to end up killing it in a couple years. Here's my current settings:

CPU Temp: Full Load = 50C/122F
CPU: 4-9x245 = 2205Mhz
Vcore: 1.7V (manually set)
RAM divider: 2/1.66
RAM freq: 200Mhz at load
HTT multi: 3x
HTT speed: 735Mhz

Note: I kept the CPU multiplier on "Auto", which leads me to my next question.

Question #2: I've heard that I should disable the cool and quiet feature, but I like how my PC downclocks under light load conditions. So, I kept that feature enabled. However, as I look at CPU-Z, my Vcore fluctuates between 1.3V, 1.5V, and 1.792V. At 1.5V, however, my CPU hits a speed of 2.2Ghz (medium load), and under full load (from task manager), it rarely hits the 1.792V.

Easy Tune 5 however shows a Vcore of 1.87V!!!! So, which one should I trust? And are these volts a little high? And why should I disable Cool and Quiet? I think I'm gonna return to stock settings for now until these Q's are answered. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Note: I've run the 32M test on Super PI in 36M 37s and also played COD2 for a couple hours w/o issues at these settings...

EDIT: Easy Tune 5 shows NO fluctuation at those settings; Vcore remains at 1.87V while CPU-Z shows constant changes.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
STOP!!! Put down the soda, re-boot into your bio's and drop the VCC down 1.6V or less. There is NO reason to have that high a VCC for only 2.2GHz. Only go as high on VCC as needed for a stable system.
Also I suspect you could get away with an HTT of X4.
As for C&Q its doing what its supposed to do , I have read somewhere that it doesn’t return your CPU to the settings you put in the Bios but returns them to default for your CPU. Don’t know if that’s true or not. :?:

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I already dropped down the volts when I saw them that high. Here's the problem though: If I set the Vcore to 1.65V, system crashes at that speed. This BIOS sucks b/c I can only set it at 1.65V or 1.7V, nothing in between.

Perhaps my chip is just not that great or the sensor's not reading correctly???

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Is your +3000 a Venice core?
1.7v seems like a lot for only 400MHz, I just upgraded from a +3000 and was able to achieve 2.4GHz on only 1.5v VCC on my +3000 (god I wish I could do that well with my 2X+4400).
1. Disable C&Q (should be a selection in Bio's)
2. Get CPU-Z, good program for getting accurate settings readings.
3. What are U using for your voltage readings, Bios or some software?

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah most definatly get your voltage down. I think your problem is not your CPU but your memory but I am only guessing right now. If you can slightly increase your voltage to your memory **only small increments!** and definatly get your CPU voltage down if possible, krazyivan is right get it back down to 1.6. Goodluck fixing your problem!

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Sorry for any confusion. My CPU core is a Clawhammer (1.3 micron process, not 90nm).

Actually, I am calling it C&Q b/c I know what it does, but the only way to "disable" it is to manually set CPU multiplier and VCC.

Also, those readings are from CPU-Z and EasyTune 5. However, I believe that CPU-Z is giving me false readings, b/c I did a test where I manually set my default VCC via BIOS, and EasyTune 5 showed a constant value around 1.56V. CPU-Z detected this as well; however, when I OC'd to 1.7V (manually set in BIOS), CPU-Z showed values from 1.3V, 1.5V, and 1.792V, while EasyTune 5 showed a constant 1.87V!

Hopefully I didn't damage my CPU. I thought I was only feeding it 1.7V, but was shocked when EasyTune 5 read 1.87V.

As far as the RAM goes, I kept it at its specs. Even a voltage bump didn't help (tho was unneccesary).

Maybe I'll just stay clear from OCing for now...

Thanks.

NOTE: BIOS does NOT give good readings, only an "OK" sign...

randomizer

Champion
Sorry for any confusion. My CPU core is a Clawhammer (1.3 micron process, not 90nm).

Actually, I am calling it C&Q b/c I know what it does, but the only way to "disable" it is to manually set CPU multiplier and VCC.

Also, those readings are from CPU-Z and EasyTune 5. However, I believe that CPU-Z is giving me false readings, b/c I did a test where I manually set my default VCC via BIOS, and EasyTune 5 showed a constant value around 1.56V. CPU-Z detected this as well; however, when I OC'd to 1.7V (manually set in BIOS), CPU-Z showed values from 1.3V, 1.5V, and 1.792V, while EasyTune 5 showed a constant 1.87V!

Hopefully I didn't damage my CPU. I thought I was only feeding it 1.7V, but was shocked when EasyTune 5 read 1.87V.

As far as the RAM goes, I kept it at its specs. Even a voltage bump didn't help (tho was unneccesary).

Maybe I'll just stay clear from OCing for now...

Thanks.

NOTE: BIOS does NOT give good readings, only an "OK" sign...
CPU-Z can give false readings with vcore. Go to the cpu-z.ini file (or something like that) in the folder where you have cpu-z and in it should have something like 'VCORE=0'. Change that number to something between 0-4 and it will change the reading to a different sensor with each different number. The default is not always right.

EDIT: ASUS Probe says that my 12V rail is at 12.6-12.8V most of the time when speedfan says its about 11.97V. Goes to show that you cant always trust your motherboards software. 12.8V would kill everything.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I have flashed to the latest BIOS (F13) though for some reason CPU-Z detects F6?!?!? Also, I downloaded the latest AMD drivers.

However, I am curious: does anyone know why the voltage regulation on this MB sucks? I mean, even my old ASUS board, though not 100% accurate, at least kept it within .3V higher than what I set it at. It seems as if this board jacks it up 1.7V from its settings...

I may try the CPU-Z thing again with the change, however, if EasyTune 5 told me I was reaching 1.87V, while CPU-Z reported 1.792V, then I might not try OCing anymore because those volts are way to high for my comfort.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
So, here's the deal:

Sensor 0 seems to be most accurate because sensors 1-4 only show the values of 1.3V and 1.5V (exact values) even when voltage is set to 1.6V via EasyTune5.

NOTE: ALL VOLTAGE CHANGES HAVE BEEN DONE THROUGH GIGABYTE'S EASYTUNE 5 PROGRAM, NOT THE BIOS (WHICH WILL BE TESTED LATER W/O C&Q).

I changed the CPU's voltages to the following with these results:

At 1.5V: CPU-Z reports 1.536V-1.552V
EasyTune 5 reports 1.56V-1.58V

At 1.52(5)V: CPU-Z reports 1.3V or 1.568V-1.584V
EasyTune 5 reports 1.59V-1.61V

NOTE: I AM USING BOTH CPU-Z AND EASYTUNE 5 AT THE SAME TIME. WHEN I RAN EACH PROGRAM SEPERATELY, SAME RESULTS APPEARED.

So, I tried changing to other voltages via EasyTune 5, and it's basically all the same. CPU-Z always reports a value slightly lower than EasyTune. Also, I think that CPU-Z is giving false readings since it shows an exact reading of 1.3V (at any setting higher than 1.5V) when idle versus the fluctuating 1.59V-1.61V reading from EasyTune.

Let me report back with manual BIOS settings (again) w/o C&Q enabled.

EDIT: So CPU-Z is giving false readings, no matter what
sensor:

I manually set VCC via BIOS to 1.525V and locked the multiplier at 9x, which resulted in a CPU-Z reading of 1.1V (which is false of course)

EasyTune 5 does not falter, and still detects 1.59V-1.63V

Now I will try OCing w/o C&Q. But can anyone tell me the maximum voltage my Clawhammer should be at???

Thanks for all the help.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
So, I disabled C&Q and all seems to be working well. I set it back to what I had it (245x9) without issues so far at 1.55V (1.63Vish). I still don't like how the MB supplies so much voltage, but hopefully I won't make my recent mistake again.

Anyways, why does C&Q have to be disabled? I'm guessing that when it downclocks, it doesn't downclock appropriately?

Also, does anyone know how many years I took off my CPU running it at those high volts? Thanks again.

AMDKnightmare

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
1.7V seems pretty high. Are you sure that was the Vcore? Isnt stock like 1.5? What motherboard are you using? 1.7volts and a load temp of 50C? Something is not right. I know people with water cooling that won't even go Vcore voltage that high.

I'm betting C&Q was backing everything off to keep the temps down. Cool and Quiet is the last thing you want when overclocking. It will automatically reduce the Multi and slow things down. It will also reduce voltage to keep the system cool.

Read this before you go any further. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I already dropped down the volts when I saw them that high. Here's the problem though: If I set the Vcore to 1.65V, system crashes at that speed. This BIOS sucks b/c I can only set it at 1.65V or 1.7V, nothing in between.

Perhaps my chip is just not that great or the sensor's not reading correctly???

Did you lock the 33 and 100Mhz channles?

As far as trusting software to report correct voltages...don't.
Set it in bios and forget about it.

Oh....I would never go 20% over on volts as I like my computers!

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Actually, it was. This MB has cruddy voltage regulation. Even when I set VCC to 1.7V, EasyTune 5 and CPU-Z reported voltages between 1.792V-1.87V. Luckily I didn't fry the chip right then and there.

Anyways, the issue has been pretty much resolved. I'm now able to clock my CPU at 9x245 for a full 400Mhz increase and only had to raise voltage to 1.55V.