WIN2000 explorer.exe error message from desktop....

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Below is a summary of a problem I just started experience
with Windows 2000 Professional Edtion. Service Pack 4 is
installe, and has been re-installed, which did not help.
Also, IE6 - SP1 has been uninstalled and re-installed and
was not help. Please help!

After living with it for a day I noticed the following.

1) I get the following error message when I double click
"My Computer" or any folders located on my desktop:
"explorer.exe has generated errors. A log file is being
generated." My desktop then flickers off and then back on
again.

2) HOWEVER, I can navigate through any of the above if i
right click and go to explore.

3) Internet explorer will not lauch, and any associated
files will not open using this program.

4) If I log in as a different user (ie. Administrator) the
desktop function properly.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <1c11601c45251$e6089fd0$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
rblanchard@visualconceptsinc.com said...
> Below is a summary of a problem I just started experience
> with Windows 2000 Professional Edtion. Service Pack 4 is
> installe, and has been re-installed, which did not help.
> Also, IE6 - SP1 has been uninstalled and re-installed and
> was not help. Please help!
>
> After living with it for a day I noticed the following.
>
> 1) I get the following error message when I double click
> "My Computer" or any folders located on my desktop:
> "explorer.exe has generated errors. A log file is being
> generated." My desktop then flickers off and then back on
> again.
>
> 2) HOWEVER, I can navigate through any of the above if i
> right click and go to explore.
>
> 3) Internet explorer will not lauch, and any associated
> files will not open using this program.
>
> 4) If I log in as a different user (ie. Administrator) the
> desktop function properly.

Do you have any folders called "Desktop" other than your actual desktop?
I had that problem and lived with it for a long time. Renaming the non-
Windows-created folder totally solved the problem.