Remove Win2000 Boot Loader

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get the Windows 2000 boot loader (or whatever it is
called) off of a hard drive? That is, the part when the computer is booting
and the white, text mode progress indicator runs. When I install Windows XP
on a new hard drive, that progress bar is not there, but I can't get rid of
it from any drive that has been a boot drive for Windows 2000.

Thank you,
DEJ
9 answers Last reply
More about remove win2000 boot loader
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Hi,

    If you remove the boot loader sure machine is not going to boot
    The white bar in windows 2000 does not show the boot loader sequence
    it actually shows the loading of kernel mode drivers
    the same white bar function is performed within the black screen of Windows
    XP
    ie that is Windows XP does not have white bar by design

    If you more information please reply back

    Abhijeet Nigam
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    There is a dangerous way... And that is running "fdisk /mbr", but it will
    also remove ALL PARITIONS. I suggest you to remove all other harddisks
    before clearing the MBR.

    Another way for doing it is to use the excellent linux tool "dd"... But
    that's even more dangerous ;-).

    // Chen

    "danjam" <djameson@childrensoncologygroup.org> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know how to get the Windows 2000 boot loader (or whatever it
    is
    > called) off of a hard drive? That is, the part when the computer is
    booting
    > and the white, text mode progress indicator runs. When I install Windows
    XP
    > on a new hard drive, that progress bar is not there, but I can't get rid
    of
    > it from any drive that has been a boot drive for Windows 2000.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > DEJ

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > This is incorrect: fdisk /mbr will restore the Windows Master Boot
    > Record. It will certainly not delete any partitions.

    Well, in an case, the FDISK commands won't work in 2000 or XP, never has,
    and never will!
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "danjam" <djameson@childrensoncologygroup.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know how to get the Windows 2000 boot loader (or whatever it
    is
    > called) off of a hard drive? That is, the part when the computer is
    booting
    > and the white, text mode progress indicator runs. When I install Windows
    XP
    > on a new hard drive, that progress bar is not there, but I can't get rid
    of
    > it from any drive that has been a boot drive for Windows 2000.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > DEJ

    If you get rid of it then Win2000 won't load! To make it invisible,
    just set timeout=0 in the hidden file c:\boot.ini.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Yes, true, it won't work inside 2k or XP... But you can start from a
    bootdisk (www.bootdisk.com) instead!

    // Chen

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> skrev i meddelandet

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > > This is incorrect: fdisk /mbr will restore the Windows Master Boot
    > > Record. It will certainly not delete any partitions.
    >
    > Well, in an case, the FDISK commands won't work in 2000 or XP, never has,
    > and never will!

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    But... don't forget that boot.ini is a "hidden file" and
    "write-protected"... ;-)

    The easiest way for changing it is to use msconfig. (start->run, msconfig,
    OK)

    // Chen

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> skrev i meddelandet

    > "danjam" <djameson@childrensoncologygroup.org> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how to get the Windows 2000 boot loader (or whatever it
    > is
    > > called) off of a hard drive? That is, the part when the computer is
    > booting
    > > and the white, text mode progress indicator runs. When I install
    Windows
    > XP
    > > on a new hard drive, that progress bar is not there, but I can't get rid
    > of
    > > it from any drive that has been a boot drive for Windows 2000.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > DEJ
    > >

    > If you get rid of it then Win2000 won't load! To make it invisible,
    > just set timeout=0 in the hidden file c:\boot.ini.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    >> "fdisk /mbr"

    It clears the MBR. Well, there is, of course, files left on the NTFS
    partition... Fdisk can't handle those files though (but "the user", with
    help of Windows XP/2k can :-) ).

    Chen:

    There are two "boot loaders".

    One is the code in the MBR section of the hard disk.
    This can be replaced by running fdisk /mbr

    The other is in a partition and is called the partition boot loader.
    It is not replaced by fdisk /mbr

    When a computer boots, the MBR queries the partition table for the active
    primary partition.
    Control is then passed to the partition boot loader of that partition.

    >> The OPs question was "how can you remove the win2k bootloader?", and
    >> fdisk can do that.

    No, it cannot.
    And, the code in the MBR section of the hard disk is generic. I have used
    DOS to replace it for various Windows computers.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    That's correct... but not for 2k/XP...

    Usually, MBR is calling the code in the active partition's boot record, but
    the XP/2k bootloader is placing itself in MBR for "dualboot" support (you
    know, the nice bootmenu). That's not neccessary (Lilo and Grub can be placed
    in other places), but it's still doing it...

    see http://www.qvctc.commnet.edu/classes/csc277/boot-xp.html

    and http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LILO-3.html ("During the NT installation,
    setup is not going to ask you where to place NT's boot loader, so it would
    be placed into the MBR (Master Boot Record) of your hard disk"

    // Chen

    "CZ" <CZ@no99spam.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > >> "fdisk /mbr"
    >
    > It clears the MBR. Well, there is, of course, files left on the NTFS
    > partition... Fdisk can't handle those files though (but "the user", with
    > help of Windows XP/2k can :-) ).
    >
    > Chen:
    >
    > There are two "boot loaders".
    >
    > One is the code in the MBR section of the hard disk.
    > This can be replaced by running fdisk /mbr
    >
    > The other is in a partition and is called the partition boot loader.
    > It is not replaced by fdisk /mbr
    >
    > When a computer boots, the MBR queries the partition table for the active
    > primary partition.
    > Control is then passed to the partition boot loader of that partition.
    >
    > >> The OPs question was "how can you remove the win2k bootloader?", and
    > >> fdisk can do that.
    >
    > No, it cannot.
    > And, the code in the MBR section of the hard disk is generic. I have used
    > DOS to replace it for various Windows computers.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    >> That's correct... but not for 2k/XP...

    Usually, MBR is calling the code in the active partition's boot record, but
    the XP/2k bootloader is placing itself in MBR for "dualboot" support (you
    know, the nice bootmenu).

    Chen:

    The bootup concept has not changed since NT 3.x, and applies to all NT based
    op systems thru XP and Win2k3 server.

    The boot sequence: BIOS > MBR > primary partition boot sector > ntldr >
    boot.ini > ntdetect > ntldr > ntoskrnl/hal/system hive > win32 subsystem.

    The MS boot code in the MBR does not know what a dual boot is.
    The partition boot code calls the ntldr file which uses the boot.ini file to
    display the dual boot menu. The boot.ini file is in drive C:, it is not in
    the MBR sector of the hard disk. The same is true for the partition boot
    code.

    The MS boot code in the MBR is generic, I have used DOS fdisk /mbr on a
    computer with Win XP on it without problems.
    The lowest level 2k/XP specific boot code is the primary partition boot
    loader, not the MBR code.

Windows 2000 Boot Microsoft Windows