Win2000 non dos partition

Win2000 will not boot, when looking under fdisk it shows
non dos partition. What would or could a person cause a
good running version of the OS to do this.
Checking it for a friend who I believe hosed his system.
When booting OS a blue screen comes up and says something
about running a virus check or something else, and that
is as far as it goes. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ze

Leonard

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002

I have found a few different things:
1: There are companies that cause, probably via spyware,
messages that a system neede THEIR ant virus program in
order to correct a problem. That may not be the problem
here.
2: I prefer to set my systems (my own and those I build or
rebuild) up in FAT rather than NTFS. Reasons included
below.

I use AVG (Grisoft) which I have found better than any
other.
With the program I also can:
a: run the program (2000 & XP) from normal mode, safe mode
and from the command prompt.
Also I can COPY a fully installed AVG folder to a read
only CD and run it from the CD. Certain viruses will
corrupt the anti-virus program no matter what if it is not
on a read only CD.
So far this can thus be done from either a FAT32 or NTFS
system. This means that certain Windows files will be
active. Most likely this will be the strongest option you
have. NO, it will not find ALL virus corruptions but I
have found that it (so far) finds those corruptions that
prevent me running the AVG from the hard drive. Next I
boot to safe mode and run the program again and finally
from the full (normal) mode.
On a FAT32 system I can also boot from a bootable floppy,
change to the CD and than run the AVG from the CD. NOW
there are no (system) Windows files active at all.
This way I can also delete such files that
are "undeletable" under any form of booting to Windows.

Hope that this may help you.

chen

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Windows 2000 is using NTFS as file system as default, so, it's completely
normal to "show up as non dos partition".

Can you start in "Safe Mode"? (hold down F8 before Windows starts)

// Chen