Determine which NTFS version in use

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a machine running WinNT4 SP6. I am trying to
replace a dead drive. Disk Administrator does not see
the full size (only 8GB) of the new drive. FDISK and
large file support allow me to set a partition to the
full size of the drive. I am thinking of putting the
drive in one of my Win2k boxes and formatting the drive
there. I'm not sure, however, that the existing drive is
NTFSv4 or if it was converted to NTFSv5 when SP6 was
applied. How can I determine the NTFS version in use on
the WinNT4 machine?

Gary

SP6 does not upgrade the file system from version 1.3 (sometimes referred
to as NTFSv4). However, if you format a partition in Win2000 it will be
version 3.0 (sometimes referred to as NTFSv5), and chkdsk in NT4 will not
work with this newer version of the file system.

I wouldn't expect your NT4 machine to handle a disk better because it was
formatted from another machine. The 8GB limit (probably a BIOS limitation)
would still be a problem, creating unexpected results when writing or
reading.

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)