Modifying file types to support open as read-only...

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 16, 2004 9:47:40 PM

I was trying to mod the Actions available for the file type for an
excel spreadsheet (.XLS) using:

http://wtonline.vitalnews.com/Pages/Tip0247.html

as a guide - goal is to allow a "open read only" open option when I
right-click on an excel spreadsheet file. These direx aren't exactly
for win2k, but so far I can't get the read-only piece to work. I get
an "open as read only" option in the right click menu, and get the
file to open - it just doesn't open as read only.

In particular, I'm thinking my DDE Message under the new Action I
created for open as read only may not be right (though have tried many
permutations to no avail). I have:

[Open("%1"),.ReadOnly]

Thoughts?
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 5:02:35 PM

trippknightly@hotmail.com (Tripp Knightly) wrote in message news:<120d8f1c.0406161647.79dd689d@posting.google.com>...
> I was trying to mod the Actions available for the file type for an
> excel spreadsheet (.XLS) using:
>
> http://wtonline.vitalnews.com/Pages/Tip0247.html
>
> as a guide - goal is to allow a "open read only" open option when I
> right-click on an excel spreadsheet file. These direx aren't exactly
> for win2k, but so far I can't get the read-only piece to work. I get
> an "open as read only" option in the right click menu, and get the
> file to open - it just doesn't open as read only.
>
> In particular, I'm thinking my DDE Message under the new Action I
> created for open as read only may not be right (though have tried many
> permutations to no avail). I have:
>
> [Open("%1"),.ReadOnly]
>
> Thoughts?

After much effort figured out that