Question About Tribunal/Bloodmoon & Spells...

Last response: in Video Games
June 9, 2005 3:46:00 AM

I've beaten Morrowind several times and I'm still addicted. There's just no
game like it, anywhere, and I'll always love it. Pretty sappy, huh? Yep...
anyway, what I'm wondering is, I've been all over Morrowind, and I have
finished Tribunal (only once) and still haven't even been to the Bloodmoon
area, Solthseim. I'm wondering if anyone out there in Mournhold or Solthseim
sells the spell effects "Fortify Skill" and "Fortify Attack" or maybe even
"Fortify Maximum Magicka"? I know no one in Vvardenfell sells these spells.
They'd be very useful in enchantment, I think. Fortify Skill: Sneak, for
instance... anyone know?
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:14:19 AM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:46:00 GMT, "Simmie Simmerson"
<radiohead3@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I've beaten Morrowind several times and I'm still addicted. There's just no
>game like it, anywhere, and I'll always love it. Pretty sappy, huh? Yep...
>anyway, what I'm wondering is, I've been all over Morrowind, and I have
>finished Tribunal (only once) and still haven't even been to the Bloodmoon
>area, Solthseim. I'm wondering if anyone out there in Mournhold or Solthseim
>sells the spell effects "Fortify Skill" and "Fortify Attack" or maybe even
>"Fortify Maximum Magicka"? I know no one in Vvardenfell sells these spells.
>They'd be very useful in enchantment, I think. Fortify Skill: Sneak, for
>instance... anyone know?

Visit Fort Moonmoth (near Balmora), go downstairs to room where the
Fort Captain is, go through the door at the southeast end of the room
(I Think it leads down to the prison) at the bottom of the stairs is a
person who can teach your character one of the Fortify Skill spells
which will enable your character to create ANY Custom Fortify Skill
spell at a spellmaker, OR when enchanting items...

That's my 2ยข,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 8:19:25 AM

Try the Imperial Cult in Mournhold, right next to the Reception Office
(where you are teleported to when you ask to go to the mainland). They
sell several "Masterful xxx spells" The different Masterful spells are
scattered around the game.
June 10, 2005 6:31:36 AM

Simmie Simmerson wrote:
> I've beaten Morrowind several times and I'm still addicted. There's just no
> game like it, anywhere, and I'll always love it. Pretty sappy, huh? Yep...

There is a game like it,and better...Daggerfall, which is the Elder
Scrolls game preceding Morrowind.

How you feel about Morrowind is how I feel about Daggerfall...not that
MW is a bad game at all.

And you never "beat" an Elder Scrolls game...you just stop playing.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:51:31 AM

> Simmie Simmerson wrote:
>> I've beaten Morrowind several times and I'm still addicted. There's just
>> no game like it, anywhere, and I'll always love it. Pretty sappy, huh?
>> Yep...
>
> There is a game like it,and better...Daggerfall, which is the Elder
> Scrolls game preceding Morrowind.
>
> How you feel about Morrowind is how I feel about Daggerfall...not that MW
> is a bad game at all.
>
> And you never "beat" an Elder Scrolls game...you just stop playing.

Someone once told me that about Daggerfall, too bad I can't find it anywhere
or I'd get it. And yeah, by "beat" I mean I did every single side quest,
reached the top of every guild, freed all the slaves that could be freed,
killed Dagoth Ur, Almalexia and Vivec, etc. Only thing left to do was wander
around or make my own plug-ins, and then Bloodmoon came out but I was in the
process of moving... but now I just started over, it's that fun.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:26:49 AM

> Someone once told me that about Daggerfall, too bad I can't find it anywhere
> or I'd get it. And yeah, by "beat" I mean I did every single side quest,
> reached the top of every guild, freed all the slaves that could be freed,
> killed Dagoth Ur, Almalexia and Vivec, etc. Only thing left to do was wander
> around or make my own plug-ins, and then Bloodmoon came out but I was in the
> process of moving... but now I just started over, it's that fun.

If you like Morrowind that much, you would really like Daggerfall. It's
a lot better in my opinion, and in those of most people who've played
it. The only way it's not better is graphically. And you can *never*
do everything there is to do in it.

You can probably get it on Ebay.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:11:51 PM

> Why is the game so good anyway? I don't know much about it.
> Just what's on the Elder Scroll site. Can you be Khajiit, Argonian there too?

I played it for a while and found the scope to be too large. It's
really ridiculous how big it is. Unless your *only* criteria is
"bigger is better", I'd avoid it. It aint all that.

Too many randomly generated dungeons, and they all kinda look the same.
I don't want to knock it too much, as I haven't played it as much as
others, and it is an impressive achievement in many ways, but I think a
smaller number of hand-crafted dungeons and places is a better idea,
even for those of the "bigger is better" mindset.

Keep in mind that you really can't just wander from one city to another
on foot any more than you could wander from town to town in England
1000 years ago. It just takes too much time in that game. It's not
like Morrowind in this respect. In short, it's too big and too
randomly generated. Oh, and if I recall correctly, you age in that
game, and eventually your character, in which you invested lots of time
building, gets old and grows weaker. I never played that long, someone
correct me if I'm wrong.

And Daggerfall looks really bad after playing Morrowind. Really bad.
I'd just replay Morrowind until Oblivion comes out if I were you.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:52:19 PM

"J. W. McCall" <jmccall@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

>> Someone once told me that about Daggerfall, too bad I can't find it
>> anywhere or I'd get it. And yeah, by "beat" I mean I did every single
>> side quest, reached the top of every guild, freed all the slaves that
>> could be freed, killed Dagoth Ur, Almalexia and Vivec, etc. Only thing
>> left to do was wander around or make my own plug-ins, and then Bloodmoon
>> came out but I was in the process of moving... but now I just started
>> over, it's that fun.
>
> If you like Morrowind that much, you would really like Daggerfall. It's a
> lot better in my opinion, and in those of most people who've played it.
> The only way it's not better is graphically. And you can *never* do
> everything there is to do in it.
>
> You can probably get it on Ebay.

Why is the game so good anyway? I don't know much about it. Just what's on
the Elder Scroll site. Can you be Khajiit, Argonian there too?
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:52:20 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:52:19 GMT, "Simmie Simmerson"
<radiohead3@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Why is the game so good anyway? I don't know much about it. Just what's on
>the Elder Scroll site. Can you be Khajiit, Argonian there too?

Yes, you can be a Khajiit or Argonian in Daggerfall. The Khajiit look
a lot more human-like, though. I can just tell you what I like about
it. Only some of the quests in the Main Quest play out exactly the
same way each time. Others have variations, and you don't know which
version you are getting until you get into it. For example, at one
point in the Main Quest, you have to find a death certificate. This
death certificate can be in one of two dungeons and in several
different places within those two dungeons. Which position in which
dungeon is only determined once you start the quest.

The dungeons are huge and it is easy to get lost in them. You can
wander around in them for days of game time. This can make things
tense, because all the faction quests have a time limit on them. You
can get quests to find objects of power and these quests can stretch
out over several dungeons. Once you finally get your hands on
Chrysemere or the Lord's Mail, you feel like you have really earned
them. Enchanted items wear out and cannot be repaired, so you have to
continually find or buy new ones.

The type of people you meet, what they wear and even the layout of the
cities varies with what region you are in. Rumors change as the game
progresses. You don't get exactly the same response all the time, as
you often do in Morrowind. NPC's can actually give you hints on how
to follow up on your local merchant quests. All in all, I really like
Daggerfall and still play it.
--
Nyctolops
Anonymous

> > And Daggerfall looks really bad after playing Morrowind. Really bad.
> > I'd just replay Morrowind until Oblivion comes out if I were you.

> Only if your *only* criteria is "prettier is better".

This is nonsense, I clearly outlined my biggest gripe -- the repetitive
randomly-generated everythingness of it all. It was true back then,
it's still true today.

> Why offer advice about a game that you admittedly haven't played much?

I actually played for quite a while, and given that I liked Morrowind a
fair amount, I would say this style of game is up my alley. But a lot
of the questing in this game is excruciatingly boring. I'm all for the
freedom to do what you want, this they got right. But the other half
-- the repetitive environments, characters and dungeons -- this was
dreadful. Oh, and good God were there ever bugs in this game.

I think you're having an extended episode of nostalgia. My advice is
that the original poster should read the following:

http://www.geocities.com/bigorrin/daggerreview.htm

If he's hot in the pants to play after reading this, God save him.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:49:36 AM

LOL! Everyone who has ever told me they loved Daggerfall and hated
Morrowind never really bothered to mention those minor details. Growing old,
anxiety/heart-attack inducing time limits, etc. Nah, I love Morrowind. I'm
not sure how good Oblivion is going to be. I learned something a long time
ago about games, though. Pretty ain't everything. Oblivion looks absolutely
beautiful, but that doesn't mean it's going to be good or bad, not really.
Only time will tell. My hopes are high, though.

> And Daggerfall looks really bad after playing Morrowind. Really bad.
> I'd just replay Morrowind until Oblivion comes out if I were you.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:49:37 AM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:49:36 GMT, "Simmie Simmerson"
<radiohead3@earthlink.net> wrote:

>LOL! Everyone who has ever told me they loved Daggerfall and hated
>Morrowind never really bothered to mention those minor details. Growing old,
>anxiety/heart-attack inducing time limits, etc. Nah, I love Morrowind. I'm
>not sure how good Oblivion is going to be. I learned something a long time
>ago about games, though. Pretty ain't everything. Oblivion looks absolutely
>beautiful, but that doesn't mean it's going to be good or bad, not really.
>Only time will tell. My hopes are high, though.

I have been playing Daggerfall for many years and I never noticed my
characters aging. I have played with lots of them for years of game
time. The quests do have time limits, though, and that can mess you
up, especially with low level characters who take longer to rest up.
--
Nyctolops
Anonymous

a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com wrote:
> I played it for a while and found the scope to be too large. It's
> really ridiculous how big it is. Unless your *only* criteria is
> "bigger is better", I'd avoid it. It aint all that.

Yes, you obviously didn't play that long.

> randomly generated. Oh, and if I recall correctly, you age in that
> game, and eventually your character, in which you invested lots of time
> building, gets old and grows weaker. I never played that long, someone
> correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. You don't age.

> And Daggerfall looks really bad after playing Morrowind. Really bad.
> I'd just replay Morrowind until Oblivion comes out if I were you.

Only if your *only* criteria is "prettier is better".

Why offer advice about a game that you admittedly haven't played much?
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:14:07 AM

Simmie Simmerson wrote:
> LOL! Everyone who has ever told me they loved Daggerfall and hated
> Morrowind never really bothered to mention those minor details. Growing old,
> anxiety/heart-attack inducing time limits, etc. Nah, I love Morrowind. I'm
> not sure how good Oblivion is going to be. I learned something a long time
> ago about games, though. Pretty ain't everything. Oblivion looks absolutely
> beautiful, but that doesn't mean it's going to be good or bad, not really.
> Only time will tell. My hopes are high, though.

No, you don't age; that's BS. And you usually have plenty of time to
finish quests...it's not a race or anything.

You're right; pretty isn't everything, which is about the only way
Morrowind is overall better than Daggerfall--it's prettier. Every other
way it's better is offset by some other way that it's not as good.

And let it be noted that I don't hate Morrowind, I just like Daggerfall
better. I played Daggerfall for most of high school (along with Doom)
and I'm still playing it. I still play Morrowind occasionally, but
after a few months of play when I got it, I was back to playing
Daggerfall again. Daggerfall has about 100 times more replay value. In
MW, the same people are in the place every game and give the same quests
and have the same items, etc, etc. Other than your character and what
he does, every game you play is pretty much the same. I can see how you
say you "beat" Morrowind, because if you play long enough, you can do
all the quests, collect all the best items, kill all the biggest bad
guys (or everyone for that matter). In Daggerfall, that's impossible.
I mean, dang, I've never even finished the main quests in
Daggerfall--there's so much to do that I never got around to it.

I too am very excited about Oblivion. If it is at least as good as
Morrowind, I'll be happy, but I hope they go back to their roots with a
game more like Daggerfall (except with the amazing graphics).
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:43:40 PM

a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com wrote:

>>Only if your *only* criteria is "prettier is better".
>

> This is nonsense, I clearly outlined my biggest gripe -- the repetitive

So is "Unless your *only* criteria is "bigger is better", I'd avoid it.
It aint all that."

> randomly-generated everythingness of it all. It was true back then,
> it's still true today.

Yeah, which is why it was an extremely popular RPG, which is still true
today. I'd rather have a huge world an not explore 10% of it than a
small island that I'm stuck on that may not be as repetitive your first
time, but after you play it a couple of times, it gets to be *very*
repetitive.

> I actually played for quite a while, and given that I liked Morrowind a
> fair amount, I would say this style of game is up my alley. But a lot
> of the questing in this game is excruciatingly boring. I'm all for the
> freedom to do what you want, this they got right. But the other half
> -- the repetitive environments, characters and dungeons -- this was
> dreadful. Oh, and good God were there ever bugs in this game.

If you don't like Daggerfall, which pretty much defined "this style of
game" (along with Arena),then you must *not* like "this style of game.
I'm guessing that your introduction to the Elder Scrolls series was MW?

I agree that it would have been great if they could have put the amount
of hand-designed detail into DF as they did in MW, but if they did, we'd
still be waiting for DF. MW, on the other hand was too *un*-random.
The world is always almost exactly the same. The quests are the same,
the NPCs are the same, the items are generally in the same places, etc
etc. The only reason MW has as much replayability as it does is because
of user-made plugins (which I avoid, but most people seem to use).

As for the bugs, it's called a patch, and they were around even back
when DF came out. Yes, it was buggy, but the latest patch will clear up
the vast majority of that.

> I think you're having an extended episode of nostalgia. My advice is
> that the original poster should read the following:

No, I just realize that it's a great game, along with many other people
who still play it. My advice to the original poster is to try the demo
and decide for himself.

> http://www.geocities.com/bigorrin/daggerreview.htm
>
> If he's hot in the pants to play after reading this, God save him.

Ok, after he's done with that, he can read:

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?index=9...

http://www.uesp.net/reviews/daggerfall.shtml

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.a...

http://www1.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/daggerfall/review.html

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/keith.dumble/hopper/dfr.htm

http://www.thecomputershow.com/computershow/reviews/dag...

Most people either love Daggerfall or hate it, you obviously being one
of the latter. Why are you trying to discourange someone from playing
who has never tried it if he may end up liking it? And if he buys it
and doesn't like it, he can sell it on ebay for about the same price.

And as for randomly generated games, you do know about Diablo and
Diablo2, right? Along with the whole genre of roguelike games that have
been popular for about 30 years (and inspired the Diablo series)?
Randomness hasn't hindered them. So randomness isn't a bad thing at
all, like you seem to indicate. Maybe if you don't have much
imagination and need constant stimulation to have fun, but for me and
many others, DF is nowhere near as dull as you seem to think.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:12:06 PM

> Yes, you obviously didn't play that long.

> Only if your *only* criteria is "prettier is better".

> If you don't like Daggerfall, which pretty much defined "this style of
> game" (along with Arena),then you must *not* like "this style of game.

> I'm guessing that your introduction to the Elder Scrolls series was MW?

You seem to enjoy suggesting that my opinion is invalid because there's
something wrong with me. Every one of the above criticisms is
incorrect. Perhaps you'd like to tell me what my favorite color is,
and the name of my first pet. So what's next? Are you going to just
simply suggest that I'm too stupid to appreciate it? So why are you
attacking me? Here's a hint:

"Yeah, which is why it was an extremely popular RPG, which is still
true today"

"As for the bugs, it's called a patch"

"you do know about Diablo and Diablo2, right?"

" Maybe if you don't have much imagination and need constant
stimulation to have fun"

Your patronising, sarcastic and insulting comments suggest you're
taking and making this all too personal, and it's lead to you acting
like a bit of a prat. Look, if you like the game for its good
qualities, that's fine, but the game isn't free since Bethesda doesn't
allow it to be classified as abandonware, and buying and selling it
over eBay isn't quite as simple as driving to the local Gamespot.
Ergo, I thought the original poster might like to have a balanced
opinion, so I pointed out some major problems. You, on the other hand,
are just cheerleading.

In return for my criticisms of the *game* (it's not like I'm
criticising your children here), you began attacking *me*, as many
people do in the anonymity of Usenet because deep down they, like you,
still need to grow up a little. Not everyone agrees with your opinion
and attacking me personally won't negate my point.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:29:29 AM

Nah I didn't mean to insinuate that you hated MW, but when I was playing
Ultima Online (ick...) a while back, there was this one dude I ran with
until he disappeared, we got into this discussion about games... I think
Star Wars Galaxies hadn't even came out yet. But I brought up Morrowind and
he said he was disgusted with Morrowind and started to tell me how
Daggerfall was so much better, but I came too late in Elder Scrolls so I
missed my window. But with Bethesda on the rise and everything, it is
possible that they'll redistribute all their old games some day into one big
package, maybe the Elder Scrolls collection or somesuch... ya never know.

> And let it be noted that I don't hate Morrowind, I just like Daggerfall
> better. I played Daggerfall for most of high school (along with Doom) and
> I'm still playing it. I still play Morrowind occasionally, but after a
> few months of play when I got it, I was back to playing Daggerfall again.
> Daggerfall has about 100 times more replay value. In MW, the same people
> are in the place every game and give the same quests and have the same
> items, etc, etc. Other than your character and what he does, every game
> you play is pretty much the same. I can see how you say you "beat"
> Morrowind, because if you play long enough, you can do all the quests,
> collect all the best items, kill all the biggest bad guys (or everyone for
> that matter). In Daggerfall, that's impossible. I mean, dang, I've never
> even finished the main quests in Daggerfall--there's so much to do that I
> never got around to it.
>
> I too am very excited about Oblivion. If it is at least as good as
> Morrowind, I'll be happy, but I hope they go back to their roots with a
> game more like Daggerfall (except with the amazing graphics).
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 12:55:11 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 06:07:00 GMT, "J. W. McCall"
<jmccall@houston.rr.com> wrote:

I haven't played Daggerfall in a looong time, but I still have the CD.
I remember being dissappointed back then by the randomly generated
dungeons/quests and the generally empty and repetetive feel to alot of
the enviroments. Fearing that I'd never get around to playing it (So
many other games to play ya know), I stooped to using a walkthrough to
beat the game. *Oh the shaaaame!!* :-)

But it had so so much that MW doesn't have and should have had. So
much that I wanted to remain and be improved upon or fixed, but was
discarded instead. Small things which add up to something so much
more than MW:

- Very deep dungeons which task your PC resources and
dungeoneering skills
- Climbing skill/ability for climbing pits in dungeons and houses or
city walls
- Schedules for the NPCs.
- Fully implemented PC Vampires and multi-type PC Werebeasts.
- Ability to select any spell-type for creating new spells.
- Time limits for some of the quests
- Creatures that spawned in city areas only at night.
- Plenty of regions with different cultures and themes.
- Massive cities to get lost in.
- Gold had weight so you had to use banks or writs.
- The law and penalities for commiting crimes was more deep
and interesting.
- Simple mounts and wagons to carry extra equipment
- Plenty of houses or ships in various cities to buy.
- Over 100 musical pieces compared with the 20 or so in MW.
- Less alien-looking monsters and animals.

I don't hate MW either. I think its visuals are pretty impressive,
but it just feels as if the TES series started going in a new
direction with MW. MW and Oblivion have so little in common with
Arena and Daggerfall.

Personally, I don't think less is more. I don't think the
hand-created content justified all that was lost from Daggerfall. I
think it was rushed to market for the Xbox release and the same is
happening with Oblivion and the Xbox 360 (I mean come on..only 2 years
development time for a RPG?!? A TES RPG?!?!).

If any blame is to be placed, I blame 3D. The same thing happened
when Playstation came onto the market. It had more interesting and
dynamic-looking visuals, but its games were often simpler and less
deep than its 2D equivalents (i.e. compare Metroid Prime to Super
Metroid 4 on the SNES...sure MP looks way better, but it has fewer
areas and fewer monsters, special moves, etc...it takes alot of time
to model 3D).

Welcome to the new state of gamedom...if you hadn't already noticed.
I predict things will be even worse with Oblivion in terms of features
hacked and shortcuts taken.

Sure, it'll look good (I'm sure we'll hear that first thing from all
over), but I think it'll be less the MW as Daggerfall was something
less than Arena.

Kinda makes you really wonder what coming after Oblivion huh?
*shiver*
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:46:22 AM

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. What really bothers me is
traditionally PC games being moved over to being primarily console
games. This almost always leads to a massive amount of
oversimplification. Console games now are so much more popular than PC
games that most companies make games for consoles first and foremost,
and since console games usually have a different type of audience, the
games end up changing as well. I'm certainly not the first person to
notice this, nor will I be the last. I have nothing against consoles,
as I own four of them myself, but PC games and console games are
traditionally different, and cater to different audiences with different
expectations.

I like MW, but I too was disappointed at how much it glossed over a lot
of elements that I found to be very beneficial to Daggerfall. Things
like gold being weightless seem really silly to me. I bet that if they
could continue to make PC-only games, or at least make them mainly for
PC and then port them, that they'd be much better games.

I really fear for the future of video/computer games. Games lately just
seem to be all the same, with just better and better graphics. Game
development is being driven and funded by huge companies like Ubisoft,
EA, Activision, etc, who care only about the bottom line, not making
quality and fun games, and it seems like gameplay and innovation is
suffering.

It seems that the only really interesting and innovative games today are
being made by small independant game companies, like Introversion and
others.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:51:42 AM

And Euncarian Solseed did say unto the gathered multitudes:

> 3) PC games can be PC games again and console games can try to be
> something else other than bastardized PC games,

But they're developed on PCs.

> But I must admit to being kind of pessimistic about the future of
> gaming. Unless technology improves much more than it is now, I think
> we're going to see 3D accelerated, first person perspective titles for
> quite awhile to come.

There are a lot of us who think 1st person is the only way to do an RPG.

> Someone really needs to development a powerful and affordable
> networkable virtual 3D system. Regular 3D gaming is dying a slow
> death.

I only do RPGs, but I definitely see a lack there.

-mb
!