Printing Windows Explorer file lists?

something I can't seem to figure out is how to get a
printed list of files in a directory or subdirectory! if
there is an option somewhere to get a printed list of
files, I am missing it. Anybody know how to do this
without print-screening or capturing the screen? Is there
an option I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

chen

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Maybe the command-line program "tree"?

// Chen

"Rick N." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> something I can't seem to figure out is how to get a
> printed list of files in a directory or subdirectory! if
> there is an option somewhere to get a printed list of
> files, I am missing it. Anybody know how to do this
> without print-screening or capturing the screen? Is there
> an option I am missing?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rick

Hi, Rick.

Here's the method I use for WinXP:
How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

I think it would work with Win2K, too, and I've been trying to get the KB
article updated to say that, but without success so far.

If you try it, would you please report back and confirm that it does (or
does not) work in Win2K?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Rick N." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> something I can't seem to figure out is how to get a
> printed list of files in a directory or subdirectory! if
> there is an option somewhere to get a printed list of
> files, I am missing it. Anybody know how to do this
> without print-screening or capturing the screen? Is there
> an option I am missing?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rick

Thanks for the help - I tried it here in Win 2000
Professional, and it appears to work, but the directory
listing is not the same as i see on the screen - nor is it
organized chronologically. BUT - if you rt-click on a
folder, the option for printing directory does come up...
but also an error at the end stating something so fast I
cannot read it...

anyways - the list prints out - but data is organized as
such;

Date Time DIR Size name.

Anyway of having it sort out by name, rather than date?

Rick

Anders

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004

P.S.

In other words: no, there is no option in Windows Explorer.

:)

"Anders" <duckling@2die4.com> skrev i melding
> dir directoryname > filelist.txt
> notepad filelist.txt
> CTRL+P

Thanks for the help! Wonder why they never made this
option??? Hmmm...

Rick

Hey -

Also found this site for Windows 2000 - almost same as the
one you advised me of...

Rick

us;272623&Product=win2000

Thanks - tree gives me a new listing - but still unable to
print it out `economically'.... thanks though.

rick

Thanks for that KB article number, Rick.

Amazing that it does not include Win2K PROFESSIONAL in the list! Just Win2K
Server and several Win2K3 and Win9x/ME versions.

I've been trying for months to get MS to update 321379 and 272623 to say
that, Yes, they work for Win2K Pro, too. So far, although the "last
reviewed" dates have been updated to 5/19/04 and 6/10/04, NEITHER of them
say that the work for Win2K Pro. :>(

Thanks for the report that 321379 works - kind of - for Win2K. Could you
also let us know if 272623 works?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Hey -
>
> Also found this site for Windows 2000 - almost same as the
> one you advised me of...
>
> Rick
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
> us;272623&Product=win2000

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

You mention chronological sorting, economical printing
and also sorting by name. Do you need file sizes?
Is this what you're putting in?:

@echo off
dir %1 /-p /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
del "%temp%\Listing" exit

Why not try editing the DIR line;

dir %1 /d /o:g-d > "%temp%\Listing"

Gives you the newest file names first in each directory.
Groups the subdirectories at the beginning so they're out of the way.
Cuts off the date/time/dir/size.
Prints out in wide format saving you paper.
Doesn't necessarily print out in straight lines tho.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:43:36 -0700, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the help - I tried it here in Win 2000
>Professional, and it appears to work, but the directory
>listing is not the same as i see on the screen - nor is it
>organized chronologically. BUT - if you rt-click on a
>folder, the option for printing directory does come up...
>but also an error at the end stating something so fast I
>cannot read it...
>
>anyways - the list prints out - but data is organized as
>such;
>
>Date Time DIR Size name.
>
>Anyway of having it sort out by name, rather than date?
>
>Rick

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

Or you could try this;

http://www.no-nonsense-software.com/printfolder/

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:28:38 GMT, kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord) wrote:

>You mention chronological sorting, economical printing
>and also sorting by name. Do you need file sizes?
>Is this what you're putting in?:
>
>@echo off
>dir %1 /-p /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
>start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
>del "%temp%\Listing" exit
>
>Why not try editing the DIR line;
>
>dir %1 /d /o:g-d > "%temp%\Listing"
>
>Gives you the newest file names first in each directory.
>Groups the subdirectories at the beginning so they're out of the way.
>Cuts off the date/time/dir/size.
>Prints out in wide format saving you paper.
>Doesn't necessarily print out in straight lines tho.
>
>On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:43:36 -0700, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the help - I tried it here in Win 2000
>>Professional, and it appears to work, but the directory
>>listing is not the same as i see on the screen - nor is it
>>organized chronologically. BUT - if you rt-click on a
>>folder, the option for printing directory does come up...
>>but also an error at the end stating something so fast I
>>cannot read it...
>>
>>anyways - the list prints out - but data is organized as
>>such;
>>
>>Date Time DIR Size name.
>>
>>Anyway of having it sort out by name, rather than date?
>>
>>Rick

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost