So when do you guys play DS, anyway?

Last response: in Video Games
March 20, 2005 7:33:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

All right. I took some time getting acquainted with Docking Station,
with and without C3 docked on. (I noticed that some things seem to be
missing from the ship when it's docked with the station; in
particular, you don't have to upgrade any of the gadgets, and the
critter picker upper wasn't visible, though it was mentioned in the
help for a gadget. Also, while I'm thinking of it, is it possible to
lose something permanently by flushing it out an airlock? I'm
thinking specifically of the teleport pads.) Finally, I felt
confident enough to try my hand at saying hi to the locals, so to
speak. Double-check that everything's ready for immigrants, hit the
online button, and... nothing. Oh, silly me, someone else has to be
online at the same time. I'd thought they were stored on the server
or something until someone came to pick them up. No biggie. The
question is: when are people on? Obviously DS will be more fun to
play if I'm not just twiddling with my own Norns...

More about : guys play

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:24:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:24:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:24:13 -0500, bd <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com>
wrote:

> Try saturdays? In theory there's an effort to get online then.
> Incidentally, you can check the number of online users with
> Ctrl-Shift-B twice.

Well, I tried staying online for a while, and after a bit some folks
sent me some Norns. Then I spent some time teaching them how to talk
(odd, that people would send me adult Norns who hadn't been taught)
and trying to meet their needs.

Er. Is that it? I'm sorry, I really am-- I want to enjoy this game--
but there doesn't seem to be much to do. Norn care seems trivially
easy, there doesn't seem to be enough variation in the species to make
selective breeding interesting, the 'grendel threat' doesn't even
enter into it unless I dock the ship (and even then, it doesn't seem
to be a big factor in most people's enjoyment, given that you can
easily download a switch to turn them off)... what is it, exactly,
that you people do playing this game? I'm not trying to be the 'your
game suxx0rz' guy here; I honestly want to find the fun, but...
March 21, 2005 11:24:55 AM

On 2005-03-21, Fred M Sloniker <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote:
> missing from the ship when it's docked with the station; in
> particular, you don't have to upgrade any of the gadgets, and the

It was annoying. That's why the docked ship comes with all upgrades
already done.

> help for a gadget. Also, while I'm thinking of it, is it possible to
> lose something permanently by flushing it out an airlock? I'm
> thinking specifically of the teleport pads.) Finally, I felt

Yes. Cameras are even worse...
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 3:23:02 PM

"emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
> On 2005-03-21, Fred M Sloniker <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote:
>> missing from the ship when it's docked with the station; in
>> particular, you don't have to upgrade any of the gadgets, and the
>
> It was annoying. That's why the docked ship comes with all upgrades
> already done.
>
>> help for a gadget. Also, while I'm thinking of it, is it possible to
>> lose something permanently by flushing it out an airlock? I'm
>> thinking specifically of the teleport pads.) Finally, I felt
>
> Yes. Cameras are even worse...

*nods* The one I/we personally noticed was the low, touch-sensitive pad...
we didn't experiment with the rest. Even more annoying, strangely enough,
were those non-unique things that one nevertheless couldn't recycle.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 3:27:16 PM

"Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:24:13 -0500, bd <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Try saturdays? In theory there's an effort to get online then.
>> Incidentally, you can check the number of online users with
>> Ctrl-Shift-B twice.
>
> Well, I tried staying online for a while, and after a bit some folks
> sent me some Norns. Then I spent some time teaching them how to talk
> (odd, that people would send me adult Norns who hadn't been taught)
> and trying to meet their needs.

> Er. Is that it? I'm sorry, I really am-- I want to enjoy this game--
> but there doesn't seem to be much to do. Norn care seems trivially
> easy, there doesn't seem to be enough variation in the species to make
> selective breeding interesting, the 'grendel threat' doesn't even
> enter into it unless I dock the ship (and even then, it doesn't seem
> to be a big factor in most people's enjoyment, given that you can
> easily download a switch to turn them off)... what is it, exactly,
> that you people do playing this game? I'm not trying to be the 'your
> game suxx0rz' guy here; I honestly want to find the fun, but...

Hm. *considers* It really depends on one's individual... tastes, I'd/we'd
suppose you'd call them... I/we specifically found that the games appeal to
the same part of oneself that can care for a child, or for a pet; the term
'maternal/paternal instincts' can be applied to the first, but there's
probably not a phrase (or there might be, but we haven't heard of it) for
the second. It's not the same sort of game as in the common FPS or strategy
game, where the goal is 'Save the planet!' or 'Conquer the world!' or the
many variations on that theme...

*thinks* Hrm. Do you remember those things that were going around a while
back? Tamagotchi or something on those lines? Creatures is--in short--like
that, but better.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:27:16 -0000, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web>
wrote:

> Hm. *considers* It really depends on one's individual... tastes,
> I'd/we'd suppose you'd call them... I/we specifically found that
> the games appeal to the same part of oneself that can care for a
> child, or for a pet; the term 'maternal/paternal instincts' can be
> applied to the first, but there's probably not a phrase (or there
> might be, but we haven't heard of it) for the second. It's not the
> same sort of game as in the common FPS or strategy game, where the
> goal is 'Save the planet!' or 'Conquer the world!' or the many
> variations on that theme...

Hm. I guess I can see that. Maybe I'd be happier if I had a better
environment to raise the things in. (The default maps are cluttered,
and the few metarooms I tried to grab were 404'd.) (ponders designing
his own metaroom) So how much can Norn learn, anyway? I believe
their perception skills are limited, so I can't, for instance, build a
toy-vending machine and expect them to use it if they want a toy; they
wouldn't be able to tell it apart from any other machine. But what
can I teach them to do?
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:15:17 PM

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:27:16 -0000, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web>
> wrote:
>
>> Hm. *considers* It really depends on one's individual... tastes,
>> I'd/we'd suppose you'd call them... I/we specifically found that
>> the games appeal to the same part of oneself that can care for a
>> child, or for a pet; the term 'maternal/paternal instincts' can be
>> applied to the first, but there's probably not a phrase (or there
>> might be, but we haven't heard of it) for the second. It's not the
>> same sort of game as in the common FPS or strategy game, where the
>> goal is 'Save the planet!' or 'Conquer the world!' or the many
>> variations on that theme...
>
> Hm. I guess I can see that. Maybe I'd be happier if I had a better
> environment to raise the things in. (The default maps are cluttered,
> and the few metarooms I tried to grab were 404'd.) (ponders designing
> his own metaroom) So how much can Norn learn, anyway? I believe
> their perception skills are limited, so I can't, for instance, build a
> toy-vending machine and expect them to use it if they want a toy; they
> wouldn't be able to tell it apart from any other machine. But what
> can I teach them to do?

Not certain. In short: experiment. Also, remember that you can breed
them. *nods*

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

"bd" <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com> wrote in message

> The Triad wrote:
> | "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

> |>It was annoying. That's why the docked ship comes with all upgrades
> |>already done.

> |>Yes. Cameras are even worse...
> |

> | *nods* The one I/we personally noticed was the low, touch-sensitive
> pad...
> | we didn't experiment with the rest. Even more annoying, strangely
> enough,
> | were those non-unique things that one nevertheless couldn't recycle.
> |

> Ctrl-Shift-C
> position mouse over target
> Type "kill hots" followed by enter
> Ctrl-Shift-C
>
> This'll nuke anything, and I do mean anything. Be careful :)

*wonders if there's any way to do it to the hand*

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

On 2005-03-21, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-21, Fred M Sloniker <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote:
>>> missing from the ship when it's docked with the station; in
>>> particular, you don't have to upgrade any of the gadgets, and the
>>
>> It was annoying. That's why the docked ship comes with all upgrades
>> already done.
>>
>>> help for a gadget. Also, while I'm thinking of it, is it possible to
>>> lose something permanently by flushing it out an airlock? I'm
>>> thinking specifically of the teleport pads.) Finally, I felt
>>
>> Yes. Cameras are even worse...
>
> *nods* The one I/we personally noticed was the low, touch-sensitive pad...

Oh, you can always produce more of those with the creators...

> we didn't experiment with the rest. Even more annoying, strangely enough,
> were those non-unique things that one nevertheless couldn't recycle.

Everything you can pick up (and maybe the creatures can pick up, but I'm
not certain about that) will get destroyed in the airlocks. The
exception from the rule is my light sensor, that was specifically
designed not to. Basicly you couldn't pick it up - it chanced its
attributes when the hand touched it.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 5:33:45 PM

On 2005-03-22, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "bd" <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com> wrote in message
>>
>> The Triad wrote:
>> | "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>> | *nods* The one I/we personally noticed was the low, touch-sensitive
>> pad...
>> | we didn't experiment with the rest. Even more annoying, strangely
>> enough,
>> | were those non-unique things that one nevertheless couldn't recycle.
>> |

>> Ctrl-Shift-C
>> position mouse over target
>> Type "kill hots" followed by enter
>> Ctrl-Shift-C
>>
>> This'll nuke anything, and I do mean anything. Be careful :)
>
> *wonders if there's any way to do it to the hand*

kill pntr
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 5:34:55 PM

On 2005-03-21, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> *thinks* Hrm. Do you remember those things that were going around a while
> back? Tamagotchi or something on those lines? Creatures is--in short--like
> that, but better.

Compare these two again and I'm going to nuke you.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 5:36:07 PM

On 2005-03-21, Fred M Sloniker <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:27:16 -0000, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web>
> wrote:
>
>> Hm. *considers* It really depends on one's individual... tastes,
>> I'd/we'd suppose you'd call them... I/we specifically found that
>> the games appeal to the same part of oneself that can care for a
>> child, or for a pet; the term 'maternal/paternal instincts' can be
>> applied to the first, but there's probably not a phrase (or there
>> might be, but we haven't heard of it) for the second. It's not the
>> same sort of game as in the common FPS or strategy game, where the
>> goal is 'Save the planet!' or 'Conquer the world!' or the many
>> variations on that theme...
>
> Hm. I guess I can see that. Maybe I'd be happier if I had a better
> environment to raise the things in. (The default maps are cluttered,
> and the few metarooms I tried to grab were 404'd.) (ponders designing
> his own metaroom) So how much can Norn learn, anyway? I believe
> their perception skills are limited, so I can't, for instance, build a
> toy-vending machine and expect them to use it if they want a toy; they
> wouldn't be able to tell it apart from any other machine. But what
> can I teach them to do?

Actually that should be possible. They can differentiate by smell, so it
theoretically *should* be possible.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 5:36:33 PM

On 2005-03-22, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:27:16 -0000, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hm. *considers* It really depends on one's individual... tastes,
>>> I'd/we'd suppose you'd call them... I/we specifically found that
>>> the games appeal to the same part of oneself that can care for a
>>> child, or for a pet; the term 'maternal/paternal instincts' can be
>>> applied to the first, but there's probably not a phrase (or there
>>> might be, but we haven't heard of it) for the second. It's not the
>>> same sort of game as in the common FPS or strategy game, where the
>>> goal is 'Save the planet!' or 'Conquer the world!' or the many
>>> variations on that theme...
>>
>> Hm. I guess I can see that. Maybe I'd be happier if I had a better
>> environment to raise the things in. (The default maps are cluttered,
>> and the few metarooms I tried to grab were 404'd.) (ponders designing
>> his own metaroom) So how much can Norn learn, anyway? I believe
>> their perception skills are limited, so I can't, for instance, build a
>> toy-vending machine and expect them to use it if they want a toy; they
>> wouldn't be able to tell it apart from any other machine. But what
>> can I teach them to do?
>
> Not certain. In short: experiment. Also, remember that you can breed
> them. *nods*

Best thing to do, however, is sit back and watch.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:52:43 PM

emmel wrote:
| On 2005-03-21, Fred M Sloniker <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote:
|
|>On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:27:16 -0000, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web>
|>wrote:
|>

|>>Hm. *considers* It really depends on one's individual... tastes,
|>>I'd/we'd suppose you'd call them... I/we specifically found that
|>>the games appeal to the same part of oneself that can care for a
|>>child, or for a pet; the term 'maternal/paternal instincts' can be
|>>applied to the first, but there's probably not a phrase (or there
|>>might be, but we haven't heard of it) for the second. It's not the
|>>same sort of game as in the common FPS or strategy game, where the
|>>goal is 'Save the planet!' or 'Conquer the world!' or the many
|>>variations on that theme...
|>
|>Hm. I guess I can see that. Maybe I'd be happier if I had a better
|>environment to raise the things in. (The default maps are cluttered,
|>and the few metarooms I tried to grab were 404'd.) (ponders designing
|>his own metaroom) So how much can Norn learn, anyway? I believe
|>their perception skills are limited, so I can't, for instance, build a
|>toy-vending machine and expect them to use it if they want a toy; they
|>wouldn't be able to tell it apart from any other machine. But what
|>can I teach them to do?
|

| Actually that should be possible. They can differentiate by smell, so it
| theoretically *should* be possible.

I don't think there's a toy smell...

Aha, the list:
"Ca smell 0 (sound)"
"CA smell 1 (light)"
"CA smell 2 (heat)"
"Ca smell 3 (water)"
"CA smell 4 (nutrient)"

# chemical 170
"CA smell 5 (water)"
"CA smell 6 (protein)"
"CA smell 7 (carbohydrate)"
"CA smell 8 (fat)"
"CA smell 9 (flowers)"
"CA smell 10 (machinery)"
"CA smell 11"
"CA smell 12 (Norn)"
"CA smell 13 (Grendel)"
"CA smell 14 (Ettin)"

# chemical 180
"CA smell 15 (Norn home)"
"CA smell 16 (Grendel home)"
"CA smell 17 (Ettin home)"
"CA smell 18"
"CA smell 19"

Most likely the unnamed ones aren't recognized by the creature at all.
So, while one could condition a norn to push machine when bored, it
might not stick, as the norn would get little boredom decrease from it,
and would not connect the appearance of a toy.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:53:57 PM

emmel wrote:
| On 2005-03-22, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
|
|>"bd" <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:50:29 AM

On 2005-03-23, bd <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com> wrote:

> emmel wrote:
>| On 2005-03-22, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>|
>|>"bd" <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com> wrote in message

>|>>|
>|>>|

>|>>|
>|>>|
>|>>|

>|>*wonders if there's any way to do it to the hand*
>|

>| kill pntr
>
> I lied, that's the one thing you can't destroy:
>
> KILL (command) agent (agent)
> Destroys an agent. The pointer won't be destroyed. For creatures, you
> probably want to use DEAD first.

Well, the command returns no error, but it doesn't destroy the hand. So
I was lying, too.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:50:30 AM

emmel wrote:
| On 2005-03-23, bd <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com> wrote:
|
|>emmel wrote:
|>| On 2005-03-22, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
|>|

|>|>>|

|>|>>|
|>|>>|
|>|>>|

|>|
|>|
|>| kill pntr
|>
|>I lied, that's the one thing you can't destroy:
|>
|>KILL (command) agent (agent)
|>Destroys an agent. The pointer won't be destroyed. For creatures, you
|>probably want to use DEAD first.
|

| Well, the command returns no error, but it doesn't destroy the hand. So
| I was lying, too.

Is there noone trustworthy left in this world?
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:51:31 AM

On 2005-03-23, bd <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com> wrote:

> emmel wrote:
>| On 2005-03-21, Fred M Sloniker <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote:

>|>Hm. I guess I can see that. Maybe I'd be happier if I had a better
>|>environment to raise the things in. (The default maps are cluttered,
>|>and the few metarooms I tried to grab were 404'd.) (ponders designing
>|>his own metaroom) So how much can Norn learn, anyway? I believe
>|>their perception skills are limited, so I can't, for instance, build a
>|>toy-vending machine and expect them to use it if they want a toy; they
>|>wouldn't be able to tell it apart from any other machine. But what
>|>can I teach them to do?
>|

>| Actually that should be possible. They can differentiate by smell, so it
>| theoretically *should* be possible.
>
> I don't think there's a toy smell...
>
> Aha, the list:
> "Ca smell 0 (sound)"
> "CA smell 1 (light)"
> "CA smell 2 (heat)"
> "Ca smell 3 (water)"
> "CA smell 4 (nutrient)"
>
> # chemical 170
> "CA smell 5 (water)"
> "CA smell 6 (protein)"
> "CA smell 7 (carbohydrate)"
> "CA smell 8 (fat)"
> "CA smell 9 (flowers)"
> "CA smell 10 (machinery)"
> "CA smell 11"
> "CA smell 12 (Norn)"
> "CA smell 13 (Grendel)"
> "CA smell 14 (Ettin)"
>
> # chemical 180
> "CA smell 15 (Norn home)"
> "CA smell 16 (Grendel home)"
> "CA smell 17 (Ettin home)"
> "CA smell 18"
> "CA smell 19"
>
> Most likely the unnamed ones aren't recognized by the creature at all.
> So, while one could condition a norn to push machine when bored, it
> might not stick, as the norn would get little boredom decrease from it,
> and would not connect the appearance of a toy.

Hm... looks like I missed that. Works with food vendors, though.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 4:09:40 PM

> On 2005-03-22, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote in message

>>> Hm. I guess I can see that. Maybe I'd be happier if I had a better
>>> environment to raise the things in. (The default maps are cluttered,
>>> and the few metarooms I tried to grab were 404'd.) (ponders designing
>>> his own metaroom) So how much can Norn learn, anyway? I believe
>>> their perception skills are limited, so I can't, for instance, build a
>>> toy-vending machine and expect them to use it if they want a toy; they
>>> wouldn't be able to tell it apart from any other machine. But what
>>> can I teach them to do?
>>
>> Not certain. In short: experiment. Also, remember that you can breed
>> them. *nods*
>
> Best thing to do, however, is sit back and watch.

Can be--assuming that they can take care of themselves. Being able to
understand them can be useful too... which reminds me/us of something/s
unrelated.

First: recently realised that in Creatures 3, 'hungry for' is one concept;
one verb. Startling.

Also: if one considers a main function of the brain to be that of
pattern-finding, then could curiosity be seen as when a concept is not
inclusively enough part of a pattern, leading to attention being drawn to it
and the person in question investigating it? We're reading Steve Grand's
Creation: Life and How to Make It (apologies if capitals are misapplied),
and while the subject of curiosity has not (yet) been addressed directly,
it's something that we think could be worth considering.

....concepts... the hardwiring of the concepts, predefined things such as
'food', predefined interactions such as 'eat' or 'push'... qualities, now.
Things having the same qualities, or resulting in the same thingamjigs;
categories. Meta-categories... a Norn that can ask 'why' and have the
answer strengthen the associations between concepts, the interactions
between them, the results...

Need to read more. Randomish thoughts.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

> emmel wrote:

> |>|

> |>|>>|
> |>|>>|

> possible to

> |>|>>|
> |>|>>|
> touch-sensitive
> recycle.
> |>|>>|

> |>|
> |>|

> |>I lied, that's the one thing you can't destroy:
> |>
> |>KILL (command) agent (agent)
> |>Destroys an agent. The pointer won't be destroyed. For creatures, you
> |>probably want to use DEAD first.
> |

> | Well, the command returns no error, but it doesn't destroy the hand. So
> | I was lying, too.
>
> Is there noone trustworthy left in this world?

Well, there is, but we've been deliberately misleading you all this time
into thinking that there aren't.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

> On 2005-03-21, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> It was annoying. That's why the docked ship comes with all upgrades
>>> already done.

>>> Yes. Cameras are even worse...
>>
>> *nods* The one I/we personally noticed was the low, touch-sensitive
>> pad...
>
> Oh, you can always produce more of those with the creators...

Er, no. That's the thing--you can replicate them, but you can't create more
if you destroyed all copies in existence. Or are we/am I forgetting
something?

>> we didn't experiment with the rest. Even more annoying, strangely
>> enough,
>> were those non-unique things that one nevertheless couldn't recycle.
>
> Everything you can pick up (and maybe the creatures can pick up, but I'm
> not certain about that) will get destroyed in the airlocks. The
> exception from the rule is my light sensor, that was specifically
> designed not to. Basicly you couldn't pick it up - it chanced its
> attributes when the hand touched it.

Hmm. (Note to selves: play game sometime soonish.)

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:15:12 -0000, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web>
wrote:

> Er, no. That's the thing--you can replicate them, but you can't
> create more if you destroyed all copies in existence. Or are we/am
> I forgetting something?

I'm surprised, given how extensible the game is, that this hasn't been
addressed. Make all non-unique objects obtainable in some way, and
all unique objects indestructible. (If you drop the medical bot in DS
into space, it reappears in its original location; I haven't tried
actually flushing it into space, though. And that's not even a unique
item like the cameras or teleport pads. (Yeah, there's more than one
of them, but each one is a little different.))
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:03:42 PM

On 2005-03-23, bd <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com> wrote:

> emmel wrote:
>| On 2005-03-23, bd <bdonlan@bd.beginyourfear.com> wrote:
>|
>| Well, the command returns no error, but it doesn't destroy the hand. So
>| I was lying, too.
>
> Is there noone trustworthy left in this world?

You are implying there ever was...
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:05:54 PM

On 2005-03-23, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-21, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> *nods* The one I/we personally noticed was the low, touch-sensitive
>>> pad...
>>
>> Oh, you can always produce more of those with the creators...
>
> Er, no. That's the thing--you can replicate them, but you can't create more
> if you destroyed all copies in existence. Or are we/am I forgetting
> something?

Yes, the agent creator. The German .agent had a bug in it, but all other
languages feature the complete set of tools *includeing* the touch
sensor, if I'm not absolutely off track.

>>> we didn't experiment with the rest. Even more annoying, strangely
>>> enough,
>>> were those non-unique things that one nevertheless couldn't recycle.
>>
>> Everything you can pick up (and maybe the creatures can pick up, but I'm
>> not certain about that) will get destroyed in the airlocks. The
>> exception from the rule is my light sensor, that was specifically
>> designed not to. Basicly you couldn't pick it up - it chanced its
>> attributes when the hand touched it.
>
> Hmm. (Note to selves: play game sometime soonish.)

::shrugs::
That kind of thing you only learn from the scrips.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:08:59 PM

On 2005-03-24, Fred M Sloniker <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:15:12 -0000, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web>
> wrote:
>
>> Er, no. That's the thing--you can replicate them, but you can't
>> create more if you destroyed all copies in existence. Or are we/am
>> I forgetting something?
>
> I'm surprised, given how extensible the game is, that this hasn't been
> addressed. Make all non-unique objects obtainable in some way, and
> all unique objects indestructible. (If you drop the medical bot in DS

Not possible unless you rewrite th airlock code - see below.

> into space, it reappears in its original location; I haven't tried
> actually flushing it into space, though. And that's not even a unique
> item like the cameras or teleport pads. (Yeah, there's more than one
> of them, but each one is a little different.))

The problem is that the airlocks will destroy everything they haven't
specifically designed not to. And you can destroy the med bot, IIRC -
but you can always make more. The reason it appears in the meso is that
it checks for its environment when being dropped and in case some checks
fail it returns to save coordinates.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 4:30:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

<snip>

....have read the whole of the twelth chapter... the breadth of what has
already been covered is staggering.

....concepts... not just the combinations, but... new concepts? Hrm.
Predictions, though. Predicting... predicting what would happen... that
may be absent. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see. Still the biochemistry to
read about; and, of course, language.

Yet... it's amazing. It's truly amazing.

(Now, what sort of brains could today's computers simulate/emulate...?)

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

> On 2005-03-24, Fred M Sloniker <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:15:12 -0000, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Er, no. That's the thing--you can replicate them, but you can't
>>> create more if you destroyed all copies in existence. Or are we/am
>>> I forgetting something?
>>
>> I'm surprised, given how extensible the game is, that this hasn't been
>> addressed. Make all non-unique objects obtainable in some way, and
>> all unique objects indestructible. (If you drop the medical bot in DS
>
> Not possible unless you rewrite th airlock code - see below.
>
>> into space, it reappears in its original location; I haven't tried
>> actually flushing it into space, though. And that's not even a unique
>> item like the cameras or teleport pads. (Yeah, there's more than one
>> of them, but each one is a little different.))
>
> The problem is that the airlocks will destroy everything they haven't
> specifically designed not to. And you can destroy the med bot, IIRC -
> but you can always make more. The reason it appears in the meso is that
> it checks for its environment when being dropped and in case some checks
> fail it returns to save coordinates.

Hmm. The goshhawk (goshawk? Probably goshhawk...), when drowned, appears
back in the Norn Terrarium... could be interesting to see if it too can be
permanently destroyed. But then again, can't extra goshhawks be created?
*tries to remember* Hrm.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

> On 2005-03-23, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Oh, you can always produce more of those with the creators...
>>
>> Er, no. That's the thing--you can replicate them, but you can't create
>> more
>> if you destroyed all copies in existence. Or are we/am I forgetting
>> something?
>
> Yes, the agent creator. The German .agent had a bug in it, but all other
> languages feature the complete set of tools *includeing* the touch
> sensor, if I'm not absolutely off track.

Ohh. *thinks for a moment* Would this be the DS agent creator? Or the
engineering creator? If the latter, we definitely don't remember it being
in there... hrm.

>>> Everything you can pick up (and maybe the creatures can pick up, but I'm
>>> not certain about that) will get destroyed in the airlocks. The
>>> exception from the rule is my light sensor, that was specifically
>>> designed not to. Basicly you couldn't pick it up - it chanced its
>>> attributes when the hand touched it.
>>
>> Hmm. (Note to selves: play game sometime soonish.)
>
> ::shrugs::
> That kind of thing you only learn from the scrips.

True. Still, actual interaction within the game world allows one to at
lesat maintain familiarity with how such things work in practice.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

On 2005-03-24, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-23, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Er, no. That's the thing--you can replicate them, but you can't create
>>> more
>>> if you destroyed all copies in existence. Or are we/am I forgetting
>>> something?
>>
>> Yes, the agent creator. The German .agent had a bug in it, but all other
>> languages feature the complete set of tools *includeing* the touch
>> sensor, if I'm not absolutely off track.
>
> Ohh. *thinks for a moment* Would this be the DS agent creator? Or the
> engineering creator? If the latter, we definitely don't remember it being
> in there... hrm.

Both. It's in both.

>>> Hmm. (Note to selves: play game sometime soonish.)
>>
>> ::shrugs::
>> That kind of thing you only learn from the scrips.
>
> True. Still, actual interaction within the game world allows one to at
> lesat maintain familiarity with how such things work in practice.

::shrugs::
Reality is an illusion.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:48:04 PM

On 2005-03-24, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-24, Fred M Sloniker <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote:

>>> I'm surprised, given how extensible the game is, that this hasn't been
>>> addressed. Make all non-unique objects obtainable in some way, and
>>> all unique objects indestructible. (If you drop the medical bot in DS
>>
>> Not possible unless you rewrite th airlock code - see below.
>>
>>> into space, it reappears in its original location; I haven't tried
>>> actually flushing it into space, though. And that's not even a unique
>>> item like the cameras or teleport pads. (Yeah, there's more than one
>>> of them, but each one is a little different.))
>>
>> The problem is that the airlocks will destroy everything they haven't
>> specifically designed not to. And you can destroy the med bot, IIRC -
>> but you can always make more. The reason it appears in the meso is that
>> it checks for its environment when being dropped and in case some checks
>> fail it returns to save coordinates.
>
> Hmm. The goshhawk (goshawk? Probably goshhawk...), when drowned, appears
> back in the Norn Terrarium... could be interesting to see if it too can be
> permanently destroyed. But then again, can't extra goshhawks be created?
> *tries to remember* Hrm.

I'm not sure if it really warps back into the norn terrarium, but if it
dies th game should create one utilizing the seed bank, I think.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:56:27 PM

> On 2005-03-24, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Not possible unless you rewrite th airlock code - see below.

>>> The problem is that the airlocks will destroy everything they haven't
>>> specifically designed not to. And you can destroy the med bot, IIRC -
>>> but you can always make more. The reason it appears in the meso is that
>>> it checks for its environment when being dropped and in case some checks
>>> fail it returns to save coordinates.
>>
>> Hmm. The goshhawk (goshawk? Probably goshhawk...), when drowned,
>> appears
>> back in the Norn Terrarium... could be interesting to see if it too can
>> be
>> permanently destroyed. But then again, can't extra goshhawks be created?
>> *tries to remember* Hrm.
>
> I'm not sure if it really warps back into the norn terrarium, but if it
> dies th game should create one utilizing the seed bank, I think.

One definitely appears in the norn terrarium if one drowns it. *nod nod*
Can't remember whether or not there's a--no, wait, now we remember.
Definitely a 'teleporter' effect, the same as used with the medical
teleporter, or the static teleporters. Not certain what happens to the
drowned goshhawk, though.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

> On 2005-03-24, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Yes, the agent creator. The German .agent had a bug in it, but all other
>>> languages feature the complete set of tools *includeing* the touch
>>> sensor, if I'm not absolutely off track.
>>
>> Ohh. *thinks for a moment* Would this be the DS agent creator? Or the
>> engineering creator? If the latter, we definitely don't remember it
>> being
>> in there... hrm.
>
> Both. It's in both.

Ah. Strange.

>>> ::shrugs::
>>> That kind of thing you only learn from the scrips.
>>
>> True. Still, actual interaction within the game world allows one to at
>> lesat maintain familiarity with how such things work in practice.
>
> ::shrugs::
> Reality is an illusion.

But an illusion which, just perhaps, reflects what many refer to when they
say 'Reality'.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

On 2005-03-25, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> ::shrugs::
>> Reality is an illusion.
>
> But an illusion which, just perhaps, reflects what many refer to when they
> say 'Reality'.

Actually all you can say is that it's the way you *perceive(sp?)*
things. Anything might just be an illusion... is an illusion: reality.
Know way to know what's *really* going on or even to define what
'really' really mean, if you know what I mean.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 12:37:43 PM

On 2005-03-25, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-24, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Hmm. The goshhawk (goshawk? Probably goshhawk...), when drowned,
>>> appears
>>> back in the Norn Terrarium... could be interesting to see if it too can
>>> be
>>> permanently destroyed. But then again, can't extra goshhawks be created?
>>> *tries to remember* Hrm.
>>
>> I'm not sure if it really warps back into the norn terrarium, but if it
>> dies th game should create one utilizing the seed bank, I think.
>
> One definitely appears in the norn terrarium if one drowns it. *nod nod*
> Can't remember whether or not there's a--no, wait, now we remember.
> Definitely a 'teleporter' effect, the same as used with the medical
> teleporter, or the static teleporters. Not certain what happens to the
> drowned goshhawk, though.

Interesting. So you are drowing goshhawks in your freetime?
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:56:12 PM

> On 2005-03-25, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> I'm not sure if it really warps back into the norn terrarium, but if it
>>> dies th game should create one utilizing the seed bank, I think.
>>
>> One definitely appears in the norn terrarium if one drowns it. *nod nod*
>> Can't remember whether or not there's a--no, wait, now we remember.
>> Definitely a 'teleporter' effect, the same as used with the medical
>> teleporter, or the static teleporters. Not certain what happens to the
>> drowned goshhawk, though.
>
> Interesting. So you are drowing goshhawks in your freetime?

We used to. Now, we have less free time--or maybe just more things that we
have/choose to do in it. We definitely used to, though. *remembers fondly*

....and yes, we saved beforehand.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

> On 2005-03-25, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>>> ::shrugs::
>>> Reality is an illusion.
>>
>> But an illusion which, just perhaps, reflects what many refer to when
>> they
>> say 'Reality'.
>
> Actually all you can say is that it's the way you *perceive(sp?)*
> things. Anything might just be an illusion... is an illusion: reality.
> Know way to know what's *really* going on or even to define what
> 'really' really mean, if you know what I mean.

No way. And correct--a person called Hume wrote (or at least, appears to
have written) some relatively/rather insightful things on that matter.
(Philosophy bubhosh. *nods*)

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

On 2005-03-26, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> Interesting. So you are drowing goshhawks in your freetime?
>
> We used to. Now, we have less free time--or maybe just more things that we

Why don't I quite believe that?

> have/choose to do in it. We definitely used to, though. *remembers fondly*
>
> ...and yes, we saved beforehand.

You did? Half hearted.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:03:24 PM

> On 2005-03-26, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>>> Interesting. So you are drowing goshhawks in your freetime?
>>
>> We used to. Now, we have less free time--or maybe just more things that
>> we
>
> Why don't I quite believe that?

Not certain. Note the second possibility as well.

>> have/choose to do in it. We definitely used to, though. *remembers
>> fondly*
>>
>> ...and yes, we saved beforehand.
>
> You did? Half hearted.

Is it half-hearted for a scientist to cover his eyes with reinforced glass
before releasing alien creatures into his world to begin slaughtering his
compatri--er, sorry, wrong computer game.

Is it half-hearted to take basic protective measures against unpredictable
results/occurrences?

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

On 2005-03-28, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-26, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> We used to. Now, we have less free time--or maybe just more things that
>>> we
>>
>> Why don't I quite believe that?
>
> Not certain. Note the second possibility as well.
>
>>> have/choose to do in it. We definitely used to, though. *remembers
>>> fondly*
>>>
>>> ...and yes, we saved beforehand.
>>
>> You did? Half hearted.
>
> Is it half-hearted for a scientist to cover his eyes with reinforced glass
> before releasing alien creatures into his world to begin slaughtering his
> compatri--er, sorry, wrong computer game.

No, just plain stupid.

> Is it half-hearted to take basic protective measures against unpredictable
> results/occurrences?

Nothing in creatures is really unpredictable. Most things are pretty
easy to fix.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:55:23 PM

> On 2005-03-28, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Why don't I quite believe that?
>>
>> Not certain. Note the second possibility as well.

>>> You did? Half hearted.
>>
>> Is it half-hearted for a scientist to cover his eyes with reinforced
>> glass
>> before releasing alien creatures into his world to begin slaughtering his
>> compatri--er, sorry, wrong computer game.
>
> No, just plain stupid.

Oh. So should he leave his eyes /uncovered/ when releasing alien creatures
into his world to begin slaughtering his coworkers?

>> Is it half-hearted to take basic protective measures against
>> unpredictable
>> results/occurrences?
>
> Nothing in creatures is really unpredictable. Most things are pretty
> easy to fix.

Key word: 'most'. If you accidentally do something that you can't undo...

And that reminds me/us. Ever gone quickly and looked through the C3 ship
almost as soon as the game was started? There are a number of
things--insects like stag beetles in the Grendel Terrarium come to
mind--that go extinct rather quickly, and can't be replaced.

Also, has anyone ever tried creating a photosynthetic Norn, breathing in
carbon dioxide and breathing out oxygen? (And when/if carbon dioxide is
breathed out normally, does it just disappear, or does it actually [at
least] increase the amount of carbon dioxide in the air? And the reverse
for plants? (Which would be /very/ interesting if all the plants were to
suddenly die... heh heh heh. *grins evilly*)

....now, if one could get a balance... a /self-adjusting/ balance between
the two different kinds of Norns... it would have to scale, of course. It
would depend on how much oxygen (for example) one breathed in how much
energy (glucose? Or is it the breaking down of food into glucose) one got
from each breath... would the photosynthesising Norns even need food,
though? *ponders* Hmm. In any case, a similar thingamajig would apply.

....light... heh. They would certainly try to stay in bright areas,
assuming that some areas are implemented to be brighter than others--which,
at least in C3, we think they indeed were.

....associations...

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

On 2005-03-29, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-28, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Not certain. Note the second possibility as well.

>>> Is it half-hearted for a scientist to cover his eyes with reinforced
>>> glass
>>> before releasing alien creatures into his world to begin slaughtering his
>>> compatri--er, sorry, wrong computer game.
>>
>> No, just plain stupid.
>
> Oh. So should he leave his eyes /uncovered/ when releasing alien creatures
> into his world to begin slaughtering his coworkers?

Glasses doesn't help much in that case... should have used full body
armour instead.

>>> Is it half-hearted to take basic protective measures against
>>> unpredictable
>>> results/occurrences?
>>
>> Nothing in creatures is really unpredictable. Most things are pretty
>> easy to fix.
>
> Key word: 'most'. If you accidentally do something that you can't undo...
>
> And that reminds me/us. Ever gone quickly and looked through the C3 ship
> almost as soon as the game was started? There are a number of
> things--insects like stag beetles in the Grendel Terrarium come to
> mind--that go extinct rather quickly, and can't be replaced.

::nods::
Can easily be restarted, though.

> Also, has anyone ever tried creating a photosynthetic Norn, breathing in
> carbon dioxide and breathing out oxygen? (And when/if carbon dioxide is
> breathed out normally, does it just disappear, or does it actually [at
> least] increase the amount of carbon dioxide in the air? And the reverse
> for plants? (Which would be /very/ interesting if all the plants were to
> suddenly die... heh heh heh. *grins evilly*)

I don't know.

> ...now, if one could get a balance... a /self-adjusting/ balance between
> the two different kinds of Norns... it would have to scale, of course. It
> would depend on how much oxygen (for example) one breathed in how much
> energy (glucose? Or is it the breaking down of food into glucose) one got
> from each breath... would the photosynthesising Norns even need food,
> though? *ponders* Hmm. In any case, a similar thingamajig would apply.

Norns probably not...

> ...light... heh. They would certainly try to stay in bright areas,
> assuming that some areas are implemented to be brighter than others--which,
> at least in C3, we think they indeed were.

You can turn he lights down.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:41:06 PM

> On 2005-03-29, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> No, just plain stupid.
>>
>> Oh. So should he leave his eyes /uncovered/ when releasing alien
>> creatures
>> into his world to begin slaughtering his coworkers?
>
> Glasses doesn't help much in that case... should have used full body
> armour instead.

Isn't that what the hazard suit's for?

>>> Nothing in creatures is really unpredictable. Most things are pretty
>>> easy to fix.
>>
>> Key word: 'most'. If you accidentally do something that you can't
>> undo...
>>
>> And that reminds me/us. Ever gone quickly and looked through the C3 ship
>> almost as soon as the game was started? There are a number of
>> things--insects like stag beetles in the Grendel Terrarium come to
>> mind--that go extinct rather quickly, and can't be replaced.
>
> ::nods::
> Can easily be restarted, though.

True. But what's the point, if one can't sustain them?

>> Also, has anyone ever tried creating a photosynthetic Norn, breathing in
>> carbon dioxide and breathing out oxygen? (And when/if carbon dioxide is
>> breathed out normally, does it just disappear, or does it actually [at
>> least] increase the amount of carbon dioxide in the air? And the reverse
>> for plants? (Which would be /very/ interesting if all the plants were to
>> suddenly die... heh heh heh. *grins evilly*)
>
> I don't know.

Hrmm. *wonders*

>> ...now, if one could get a balance... a /self-adjusting/ balance between
>> the two different kinds of Norns... it would have to scale, of course.
>> It
>> would depend on how much oxygen (for example) one breathed in how much
>> energy (glucose? Or is it the breaking down of food into glucose) one
>> got
>> from each breath... would the photosynthesising Norns even need food,
>> though? *ponders* Hmm. In any case, a similar thingamajig would apply.
>
> Norns probably not...

*ponders!*

>> ...light... heh. They would certainly try to stay in bright areas,
>> assuming that some areas are implemented to be brighter than
>> others--which,
>> at least in C3, we think they indeed were.
>
> You can turn he lights down.

Ahh.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

On 2005-04-13, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Oh. So should he leave his eyes /uncovered/ when releasing alien
>>> creatures
>>> into his world to begin slaughtering his coworkers?
>>
>> Glasses doesn't help much in that case... should have used full body
>> armour instead.
>
> Isn't that what the hazard suit's for?

Mu-lam'bda heavy armour provides a completely seperated environment -
better than any hazard suit you might have in mind.

>>> Key word: 'most'. If you accidentally do something that you can't
>>> undo...
>>>
>>> And that reminds me/us. Ever gone quickly and looked through the C3 ship
>>> almost as soon as the game was started? There are a number of
>>> things--insects like stag beetles in the Grendel Terrarium come to
>>> mind--that go extinct rather quickly, and can't be replaced.
>>
>> ::nods::
>> Can easily be restarted, though.
>
> True. But what's the point, if one can't sustain them?

It wasn't planned like that. They more or less messed the balance of
environments up - the gnarlers will vanish as well, when you don't make
the vulcano blow up more often.

>>> Also, has anyone ever tried creating a photosynthetic Norn, breathing in
>>> carbon dioxide and breathing out oxygen? (And when/if carbon dioxide is
>>> breathed out normally, does it just disappear, or does it actually [at
>>> least] increase the amount of carbon dioxide in the air? And the reverse
>>> for plants? (Which would be /very/ interesting if all the plants were to
>>> suddenly die... heh heh heh. *grins evilly*)
>>
>> I don't know.
>
> Hrmm. *wonders*
>
>>> ...now, if one could get a balance... a /self-adjusting/ balance between
>>> the two different kinds of Norns... it would have to scale, of course.
>>> It
>>> would depend on how much oxygen (for example) one breathed in how much
>>> energy (glucose? Or is it the breaking down of food into glucose) one
>>> got
>>> from each breath... would the photosynthesising Norns even need food,
>>> though? *ponders* Hmm. In any case, a similar thingamajig would apply.
>>
>> Norns probably not...
>
> *ponders!*

I only say 'Highlander'.

>>> ...light... heh. They would certainly try to stay in bright areas,
>>> assuming that some areas are implemented to be brighter than
>>> others--which,
>>> at least in C3, we think they indeed were.
>>
>> You can turn he lights down.
>
> Ahh.

Environment controls in the Norn, Desert, Aquarium and Jungle
Terrariums.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:14:45 AM

> On 2005-04-13, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Glasses doesn't help much in that case... should have used full body
>>> armour instead.
>>
>> Isn't that what the hazard suit's for?
>
> Mu-lam'bda heavy armour provides a completely seperated environment -
> better than any hazard suit you might have in mind.

Well, he didn't have Mu-lam'bda heavy armour, did he?

>>> ::nods::
>>> Can easily be restarted, though.
>>
>> True. But what's the point, if one can't sustain them?
>
> It wasn't planned like that. They more or less messed the balance of
> environments up - the gnarlers will vanish as well, when you don't make
> the vulcano blow up more often.

Pity. *sadness*

Ah, yes--on the gnarlers, we just hooked on of those tall, pulsing things up
to the volcano. And for some reason, even after all the gnarlers die, they
always come back.

>>> I don't know.
>>
>> Hrmm. *wonders*

>>> Norns probably not...
>>
>> *ponders!*
>
> I only say 'Highlander'.

Hrm. *thinks*

....huh. What about the Life chemical?

>>> You can turn he lights down.
>>
>> Ahh.
>
> Environment controls in the Norn, Desert, Aquarium and Jungle
> Terrariums.

*nods* Yes, we remember--those flaps, with the adjustable controls.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

"The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote in message
news:D 3jb22$rna$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-29, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Oh. So should he leave his eyes /uncovered/ when releasing alien creatures
>>> into his world to begin slaughtering his coworkers?
>>
>> Glasses doesn't help much in that case... should have used full body
>> armour instead.
>
> Isn't that what the hazard suit's for?

>>> Key word: 'most'. If you accidentally do something that you can't undo...
>>>
>>> And that reminds me/us. Ever gone quickly and looked through the C3 ship
>>> almost as soon as the game was started? There are a number of
>>> things--insects like stag beetles in the Grendel Terrarium come to
>>> mind--that go extinct rather quickly, and can't be replaced.
>>
>> ::nods::
>> Can easily be restarted, though.
>
> True. But what's the point, if one can't sustain them?
>
>>> Also, has anyone ever tried creating a photosynthetic Norn, breathing in
>>> carbon dioxide and breathing out oxygen? (And when/if carbon dioxide is
>>> breathed out normally, does it just disappear, or does it actually [at
>>> least] increase the amount of carbon dioxide in the air? And the reverse
>>> for plants? (Which would be /very/ interesting if all the plants were to
>>> suddenly die... heh heh heh. *grins evilly*)
>>
>> I don't know.
>
> Hrmm. *wonders*
>
>>> ...now, if one could get a balance... a /self-adjusting/ balance between
>>> the two different kinds of Norns... it would have to scale, of course. It
>>> would depend on how much oxygen (for example) one breathed in how much
>>> energy (glucose? Or is it the breaking down of food into glucose) one got
>>> from each breath... would the photosynthesising Norns even need food,
>>> though? *ponders* Hmm. In any case, a similar thingamajig would apply.
>>
>> Norns probably not...
>
> *ponders!*
>
>>> ...light... heh. They would certainly try to stay in bright areas,
>>> assuming that some areas are implemented to be brighter than others--which,
>>> at least in C3, we think they indeed were.
>>
>> You can turn he lights down.
>
> Ahh.
>
> --
> The Triad
> User of 'Thingamajig!'
> Refractor Dragon -=(UDIC)=-

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:02:25 PM

On 2005-04-14, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> On 2005-04-13, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Isn't that what the hazard suit's for?
>>
>> Mu-lam'bda heavy armour provides a completely seperated environment -
>> better than any hazard suit you might have in mind.
>
> Well, he didn't have Mu-lam'bda heavy armour, did he?

Sorry, I can't stop thinking in terms of
heavy-armour-should-be-closed-environment.
::shrugs::

>>> True. But what's the point, if one can't sustain them?
>>
>> It wasn't planned like that. They more or less messed the balance of
>> environments up - the gnarlers will vanish as well, when you don't make
>> the vulcano blow up more often.
>
> Pity. *sadness*
>
> Ah, yes--on the gnarlers, we just hooked on of those tall, pulsing things up
> to the volcano. And for some reason, even after all the gnarlers die, they
> always come back.

Eggs.

>>> Hrmm. *wonders*

>>> *ponders!*
>>
>> I only say 'Highlander'.
>
> Hrm. *thinks*
>
> ...huh. What about the Life chemical?

What?

>>> Ahh.
>>
>> Environment controls in the Norn, Desert, Aquarium and Jungle
>> Terrariums.
>
> *nods* Yes, we remember--those flaps, with the adjustable controls.

Yup.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:30:27 PM

> On 2005-04-14, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Mu-lam'bda heavy armour provides a completely seperated environment -
>>> better than any hazard suit you might have in mind.
>>
>> Well, he didn't have Mu-lam'bda heavy armour, did he?
>
> Sorry, I can't stop thinking in terms of
> heavy-armour-should-be-closed-environment.
> ::shrugs::

Hm.

>>> It wasn't planned like that. They more or less messed the balance of
>>> environments up - the gnarlers will vanish as well, when you don't make
>>> the vulcano blow up more often.
>>
>> Pity. *sadness*
>>
>> Ah, yes--on the gnarlers, we just hooked on of those tall, pulsing things
>> up
>> to the volcano. And for some reason, even after all the gnarlers die,
>> they
>> always come back.
>
> Eggs.

Huh. You're sure? What about after all the eggs have hatched (or been
eaten by those green things that we've forgotten the name of)?

>>> I only say 'Highlander'.
>>
>> Hrm. *thinks*
>>
>> ...huh. What about the Life chemical?
>
> What?

What happens when it runs out?

>>> Environment controls in the Norn, Desert, Aquarium and Jungle
>>> Terrariums.
>>
>> *nods* Yes, we remember--those flaps, with the adjustable controls.
>
> Yup.

*smiles*

....ah, the living skah we could have created if they had involved
/everything/ ship-influenced about the environment...

Think of it! Think of if the atmosphere was truly realistic, implemented
fully, and one could twist it wholly to one's will!

....if one could kill off all the plants, tell the seed-thingamajigs not to
produce any more automatically, fill the Terrariums with vacuum or carbon
dioxide... or, heh, just remove all the grazers and Norns and fill them
with pure, unadulterated oxygen...

....oo. Solution! Carbon monoxide! Neither plants /nor/ Creatures able to
survive... 'dead zones', not even mattering that the seeders would keep
spitting out seeds, because no plants could live... all Norns fearing,
staying far, farrr away... or perishing... the /only/ habitable zones
being those that the Hand decreed--or decided, rather, not bothering with a
decree--/would/ be...

*cackles manically; longs for that kind of power*

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

On 2005-04-15, The Triad <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "emmel" <the_emmel*whatever*@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> Pity. *sadness*
>>>
>>> Ah, yes--on the gnarlers, we just hooked on of those tall, pulsing things
>>> up
>>> to the volcano. And for some reason, even after all the gnarlers die,
>>> they
>>> always come back.
>>
>> Eggs.
>
> Huh. You're sure? What about after all the eggs have hatched (or been
> eaten by those green things that we've forgotten the name of)?

Then they don't come back, I think.

>>> Hrm. *thinks*
>>>
>>> ...huh. What about the Life chemical?
>>
>> What?
>
> What happens when it runs out?

Doesn't in Highladers. That's the whole point. They are the living dead.

>>> *nods* Yes, we remember--those flaps, with the adjustable controls.
>>
>> Yup.
>
> *smiles*
>
> ...ah, the living skah we could have created if they had involved
> /everything/ ship-influenced about the environment...
>
> Think of it! Think of if the atmosphere was truly realistic, implemented
> fully, and one could twist it wholly to one's will!

You don't need, that the Earth Simulator doesn't even manage to do that
in dept, do you?

> ...if one could kill off all the plants, tell the seed-thingamajigs not to
> produce any more automatically,

Oh, that's easy.

> fill the Terrariums with vacuum or carbon
> dioxide... or, heh, just remove all the grazers and Norns and fill them
> with pure, unadulterated oxygen...
>
> ...oo. Solution! Carbon monoxide! Neither plants /nor/ Creatures able to
> survive... 'dead zones', not even mattering that the seeders would keep
> spitting out seeds, because no plants could live... all Norns fearing,
> staying far, farrr away... or perishing... the /only/ habitable zones
> being those that the Hand decreed--or decided, rather, not bothering with a
> decree--/would/ be...
>
> *cackles manically; longs for that kind of power*

enum 3 0 0 kill targ next enum 4 0 0 kill targ next
--

!