canon lbp 8 IIIr

i've a laser printer canon lbp 8 III r.

Does anybody have a documentation for maintenance and repairing?
(electronics schematics, trouble shooting guide)
When i switch it on, most of the time i have an error message "50 service".

I think it's coming from the power supply but without schematics it's
too difficult.
Also, is it possible to find spare parts? It's an old printer.

Thank you,

Gwenael.

freebritanny@breizh.org wrote:
> i've a laser printer canon lbp 8 III r.
>
> Does anybody have a documentation for maintenance and repairing?
> (electronics schematics, trouble shooting guide)
> When i switch it on, most of the time i have an error message "50
> service".
> I think it's coming from the power supply but without schematics it's
> too difficult.
> Also, is it possible to find spare parts? It's an old printer.
>
> Thank you, Gwenael.

These were splendid printers in their day, but "their day" was all
of 15 years ago. They use(d) the Canon SX print engine and have very
many parts in common with the HP LaserJet II and III machines, of which
many more were sold than the Canon branded machine.
"Error 50" is usually either a faulty power supply or a faulty
fuser. Do a Google search on "Canon SX print engine" and see what comes
up.
"The Printer Works" is a good source of information. Of "Error 50"
they say at
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/HP/K05
<quote>
If you power the printer off for 10 minutes and the problem temporarily
goes away, then it is definitely a bad AC power module. This is the
cause 90% of the time, with the other 10% being a burnt out quartz
fusing lamp.
</quote>

I've got these machines lying around (not yet got round to taking them
to the tip!) but, frankly, it's not worth your paying the postage on the
parts. You're obviously happy to use an elderly machine, and you'd be
better looking out locally (car-boot sale, perhaps) for a LaserJet 4
(or, better, 4+). These are splendid workhorses, and can be picked up
for a few quid.

Email me directly if you think I might be of help.

--
DB.