Anyone have any experience configuring a linksys srw224 switch using
vlans? I am trying to configure it to use vlan 920-924 but the
configuration tool is only accepting values in the range 1-255. It says
"invalid VID" for anything over 255. It is configured to use 802.1Q
which as I understand it should support 12 bit VIDs.

Thanks
Scott

In article <cpsnef$4jc$1@tribune.oar.net>,
campbest <campbest@muohio.edu> wrote:
:Anyone have any experience configuring a linksys srw224 switch using
:vlans? I am trying to configure it to use vlan 920-924 but the
:configuration tool is only accepting values in the range 1-255. It says
:"invalid VID" for anything over 255. It is configured to use 802.1Q
:which as I understand it should support 12 bit VIDs.

A lot of devices only allow a subset of the 12 bits. Only allowing
up to 1000 or 1023 is particularily common; values above 1005 are
often referred to as "extended vlans". Perhaps at one point only
10 bits were allocated.

The User Guide
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/srw224-ug.pdf
says you can have up to 64 vlans (page 7), and page 30 says
to use 1 to 255 for the VLAN ID. So it's a documented restriction.
--
Cannot open .signature: Permission denied