Failed setting RAM timings.. e6600, ddr2 800

neffwashere

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hello. I have 2x1GB of Corsair DDR2 800 CAS4 memory, and MSI 975x Platinum mobo, and E6600. Currently, the RAM runs at 1.8V and 667Mhz by default, but I feel I should be able to tweak it such that it would perform better (since it's rated at 800 and cas4).

However, I'm new to overclocking and the like. I've been messing around with my memory settings in the BIOS, and have had several failed-boot cases, and I'm making no progress. Someone said the RAM is rated at 2.1V for those settings, so I set the voltage to 2.1V, and set the timings to 4-4-4-12, resulting in a no-boot situation where I had to reset the CMOS to regain functionality.

(On a side note, the manual says that the mobo will detect failed overclocking after 3 power-button restarts... didn't work. Altho, it DID detect a failed overclock previously)

Anyway, I wonder if it has anything to do with the ratio (or multiplier) settings. I noticed that when I was playing around with it, setting it to "Auto" did not actually change the ratio from the previous ratio I had specified (Even the CMOS reset did not revert to initial status). IE, when I first booted up my computer, the ram rate read 667, and after messing with ratios, it said 880, but then setting it back to Auto in BIOS, or even after a CMOS reset, it STILL said 880. I just reset the ratio to show the 667 speed, then set it to auto, and behold, the speed says 667 now :p

So, perhaps my ratio was set too high, what with the new RAM voltage and timings? I could really use some experienced input here, as I am having nervous breakdowns fearing for the safety of my hardware :S Many thanks for taking time to read this!

neffwashere

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Ha, I ran CPU-Z, and that's kinda helped me learn a bit. Here's my current situation:

By setting the ratio (changing nothing else) to 3:5, CPU-Z says the memory is running at 445 Mhz, 5-5-5-15. The SPD for the ram says 400Mhz, 4-4-4-12, of course. So, how come I don't need to change the memory voltage? As far as I know it's still at 1.8V. Maybe I'll need to up the voltage to get the 4-4-4-12 timings? And is it okay to run the memory at 445 Mhz instead of the rated 400? So many questions..

I'd kinda like to be able to use the 4-4-4-12 timings, so I'm gonna try to mess with the RAM settings in BIOS some more. I'm going to test stuff with a MemTest86 boot disk.

Any input is appreciated -_-

neffwashere

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Why don't I have a 1:1.5 ratio :S I only have

Auto
1:1
1:1.25
1:1.33
1:1.66
1:2

Shouldn't they have put that ratio in there :| I want to run my memory at 400Mhz, but now I can't unless I mess with FSB speed :(

TRENDING THREADS