Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core Duo vs AMD Turion64

Last response: in CPUs
August 28, 2006 8:27:17 AM

Hi!
I'm about to get a new laptop (my first laptop ever! :D  ). Through my job I'm able to get:

Either a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pi1536 with an Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 E 2.0 GHz. Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400/512MB

Or a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO A3667G with an AMD Turion64 ML37 Processor 2.0 GHz. Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X700/512MB.

Apart from the processors and graphic cards the rest is pretty equal on both laptops (1024 MB RAM - which I intend to increase, 100 GB hard drive, S-Video out, DVI-I etc.).

Is there any guru's out there who could give me an advice on which one I should pick?
August 28, 2006 8:56:16 AM

Quote:
Hi!
I'm about to get a new laptop (my first laptop ever! :D  ). Through my job I'm able to get:

Either a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pi1536 with an Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 E 2.0 GHz. Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400/512MB

Or a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO A3667G with an AMD Turion64 ML37 Processor 2.0 GHz. Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X700/512MB.

Apart from the processors and graphic cards the rest is pretty equal on both laptops (1024 MB RAM - which I intend to increase, 100 GB hard drive, S-Video out, DVI-I etc.).

Is there any guru's out there who could give me an advice on which one I should pick?

The choice is pretty simple....The Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pi1536 will oblitirate the Turion based laptop with a rather large margin.
The cpu is faster (not to mention its a dual core) and graphics are superior.

Btw: you should really change the name on your post. Core Duo cpus are not based on netburst technology, thus its not a Pentium.

Btw2: Im not sure it very wise to buy a laptop with yesterdays technology. Both Turion and Core Duo are being phased out in favour for newer cpus (i.e Core 2 Duo, and Turion X2)
August 28, 2006 10:35:47 AM

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm closer to my decition now :) 
Related resources
August 28, 2006 10:42:54 AM

Thank you very much for your answer! :D  As you may see, I've changed the name :)  . Du you know if it is possible to upgrade a laptop's CPU in the future? Or will I have to change the motherboard as well? Or buy a new laptop? 8)
August 28, 2006 11:56:53 AM

Quote:
Hi!

First you are comparing the wrong two chips. The Core DUo is dual core and the ML37 is single core. Because of that I would say get the T2500. The better comparison would be the TL X2 series Turion. I just bought one the other day and I love it. It's very snappy and very cool(read:temperature). The Core Duo is a fast chip though and that setup has a little more to it.

I'd get the Core Duo between those two. With X2 I don't know, but I lean more towards AMD.
August 28, 2006 12:10:32 PM

Well that's the options I've got through my job. So I guess I'll go for the Intel then. Thank You for your answer :D 
August 28, 2006 2:23:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much for your answer! :D  As you may see, I've changed the name :)  . Du you know if it is possible to upgrade a laptop's CPU in the future? Or will I have to change the motherboard as well? Or buy a new laptop? 8)

Yes and no.

If we talk about Intel, the answer is Yes. Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are pin-compatible (since both residece on socket 479, and both user intel 945 chipset).

And if its the AMD, then the answer is NO. The model you are thinking of is based on the older Turion wish use socket 754. The newer models are based on socket S1 (new models are the once with X2 in the name... like Turion X2 TL-50 etc)
August 28, 2006 2:51:48 PM

Thanks again for a good answer. You've made my choice easier. I'll go for the Duo-core :!:
August 30, 2006 8:07:36 AM

well hes not trashing intel this time, and i agree the core duo laptop is the better choice
August 30, 2006 8:20:58 AM

Quote:
well hes not trashing intel this time, and i agree the core duo laptop is the better choice
Agreed, Baron Matrix gave a fair and reasonable answer.
August 30, 2006 12:05:02 PM

Quote:

sorry i dont care who he trashes
he went through a two week period saying that crap about who spends money on what because he had no valid responce to very normal posts. he needs to hear his own words directed at him with the same type of context.

he claims he has an TL amd proc but i dont believe him
i have been trying to find one for sale and cannot find one.
so is he trying to recommend his proc to this guy that this guy cant actually buy?

he never should have posted

STFU you dizzy tramp.
August 30, 2006 12:06:11 PM

Quote:

sorry i dont care who he trashes
he went through a two week period saying that crap about who spends money on what because he had no valid responce to very normal posts. he needs to hear his own words directed at him with the same type of context.

he claims he has an TL amd proc but i dont believe him
i have been trying to find one for sale and cannot find one.
so is he trying to recommend his proc to this guy that this guy cant actually buy?

he never should have posted

Oh and BTW,

I BOUGHT THE WHOLE LAPTOP NOT JUST A CHIP,

YOU IDIOT
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2006 12:29:43 PM

Quote:
Hi!

First you are comparing the wrong two chips. The Core DUo is dual core and the ML37 is single core. Because of that I would say get the T2500. The better comparison would be the TL X2 series Turion. I just bought one the other day and I love it. It's very snappy and very cool(read:temperature). The Core Duo is a fast chip though and that setup has a little more to it.

I'd get the Core Duo between those two. With X2 I don't know, but I lean more towards AMD.

To be honest the Intel Core Duo is even faster then the Turion X2 of the same clock speed. Infact a Core Duo 1.86Ghz compete with a Turion X2 2Ghz in performance. As for power consumption.. the Core Duo last about twice as long as the Turion X2. So even with a Turion X2 in the equation... Core Duo still comes out on top as the better processor. It's one large downside is the lack of EMT64 support... but 64bit apps and support in general has never really taken off.
August 31, 2006 1:30:47 AM

Quote:
Hi!

To be honest the Intel Core Duo is even faster then the Turion X2 of the same clock speed. Infact a Core Duo 1.86Ghz compete with a Turion X2 2Ghz in performance. As for power consumption.. the Core Duo last about twice as long as the Turion X2. So even with a Turion X2 in the equation... Core Duo still comes out on top as the better processor. It's one large downside is the lack of EMT64 support... but 64bit apps and support in general has never really taken off.

It's not that big a difference and it depends on what your doing off AC. If your commue is long enough to watch a DVD, maybe you should have rented a car.

The thing that impressed me about the X2 was the low power during standby. Tom's did a comparison and quoted them as being neck and "in some areas.(read:several)" I have yet to see a benchmark with the TL60 (2GHz). Most benches I've seen don't even use dual channel RAM, so the difference will be there with dual channel vs. single channel.
August 31, 2006 2:41:03 AM

Quote:
Agreed, Baron Matrix gave a fair and reasonable answer.
Recorded!
Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:56 am Post subject: Re: Intel Core Duo vs AMD Turion64
August 31, 2006 2:46:05 AM

Quote:
It's not that big a difference and it depends on what your doing off AC. If your commue is long enough to watch a DVD, maybe you should have rented a car.

The thing that impressed me about the X2 was the low power during standby. Tom's did a comparison and quoted them as being neck and "in some areas.(read:several)" I have yet to see a benchmark with the TL60 (2GHz). Most benches I've seen don't even use dual channel RAM, so the difference will be there with dual channel vs. single channel.

Baron, Turion64 or Turion64 X2 is not better than Core Duo for any objective purpose: price, performance, power consumation, stability and quality. The Turion64 X2 on idle consumes more power than Core2 Duo at 100% load, stop having wet dreams about the comptetive Turion64 X2.
August 31, 2006 4:03:34 AM

Quote:

If we talk about Intel, the answer is Yes. Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are pin-compatible (since both residece on socket 479, and both user intel 945 chipset).

Are you sure? Positive? If so thats great news!!! Yay intel (i have a t2300/t2400 forgot which, yay i can upgrade it eventually!)
August 31, 2006 9:45:50 AM

Quote:

Are you sure? Positive? If so thats great news!!! Yay intel (i have a t2300/t2400 forgot which, yay i can upgrade it eventually!)

Yes... Also works on Mac Minis :) 
August 31, 2006 8:05:54 PM

Quote:
..boring..

You mean the one benifit of a Turion X2 that is of use is one that requires me to put it into standby and not use it?

:D 
August 31, 2006 9:32:58 PM

Quote:

Baron, Turion64 or Turion64 X2 is not better than Core Duo for any objective purpose: price, performance, power consumation, stability and quality. The Turion64 X2 on idle consumes more power than Core2 Duo at 100% load, stop having wet dreams about the comptetive Turion64 X2.

Please, Dufus, the TL60 is rated at 35W and the slower ones at 31W. Again, if you are so screwed up that you have enough time to watch a DVD off AC, you should get a life.

Your own Tom's HW shows that it is VERY competitive with Core Duo, PERIOD. There are cases where the Dothan beats the Core Duo so what does that mean?

No it doesn't mean you're an a-hole. Your ridiculous posts mean that. I don't have to have wet dreams cause I have a TL52 at home. I was gonna get the TL-60 but they were sold out.

And again his was I believe the first one to use dual channel RAM.

P.S.

STFU
September 1, 2006 12:12:36 AM

Quote:
Please, Dufus, the TL60 is rated at 35W and the slower ones at 31W. Again, if you are so screwed up that you have enough time to watch a DVD off AC, you should get a life.

Your own Tom's HW shows that it is VERY competitive with Core Duo, PERIOD. There are cases where the Dothan beats the Core Duo so what does that mean?

No it doesn't mean you're an a-hole. Your ridiculous posts mean that. I don't have to have wet dreams cause I have a TL52 at home. I was gonna get the TL-60 but they were sold out.

P.S.

STFU

My life is so different from yours in your own world and yours life in the others life in the real world. But, hey I like your sence of humor, clown.
September 1, 2006 12:29:36 AM

Get the Core Duo. The Turion laptop has better grahpics (X700 > X1400), but if you're not gaming, then that won't make a difference. The Core Duo is dual-core; the Turion is single-core. The Core Duo should beat the Turion in single-threaded apps, and it will slaughter it in multi-threaded apps and in multitasking. As others have mentioned, the Core Duo model will also have a longer battery life.
September 1, 2006 5:03:07 AM

Quote:

P.S.

STFU

BM, you are so stupid. You realize that Morem is gonna pulverize the x2 to shreads! Just like the E6800. Didn't you learnt your lesson yet? Why don't you save it until AMD really have something to talk about.
September 1, 2006 5:22:15 AM

Quote:

P.S.

STFU

BM, you are so stupid. You realize that Morem is gonna pulverize the x2 to shreads! Just like the E6800. Didn't you learnt your lesson yet? Why don't you save it until AMD really have something to talk about.

He's not stupid, he just lacks the metacognative ability to recognize his own limitations.

JackI'm thinking more along the lines of instinct. Like a dog chasing it's tail....doesn't realize why it keeps trying to get away from him. :wink:
September 1, 2006 6:50:39 AM

Quote:

P.S.

STFU

You do realise it is called Merom, not Morem, and Merom has already been showed not to have that much of the wow factor that C2D has. It does improve upon Core Duo, but not by much.

Core Duo is a very nice chip, so is the Turion X2 get over it, buy what ever you like, and whatever you can afford.
September 1, 2006 8:27:41 AM

Quote:
You do realise it is called Merom, not Morem, and Merom has already been showed not to have that much of the wow factor that C2D has. It does improve upon Core Duo, but not by much.

Core Duo is a very nice chip, so is the Turion X2 get over it, buy what ever you like, and whatever you can afford.
Merom is still a great chip. The reason for review sites mentioning the lack of "wow factor", is because C2D is being compared to a relatively lousy processor...namely Prescott. Of course C2D is leagues ahead of P4, but Merom is being compared to Yonah...which is already a very very good chip, therefore it isn't leagues ahead. Just as K8 was a very good chip, it will be extremely hard for K8L to surpass it as much as C2D has surpassed Netburst. So don't be fooled into thinking that Merom isn't so good, it'll still take a lot to beat it.
September 1, 2006 11:40:29 AM

Quote:

P.S.

STFU

As soon as you learn that I buy Chevy so I don't care about Ford.
September 1, 2006 11:52:04 AM

Quote:

P.S.

STFU

He's not stupid, he just lacks the metacognative ability to recognize his own limitations.

Jack

JagOff, Jumping JagOff!
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2006 12:39:11 PM

Quote:

P.S.

STFU

Why is it that you love AMD sooo much that you're willing to sacrifice your own credibility post after post? What has AMD done for you that is worth losing your reputation over?

I'm really curious as to why you don't focus your energy on realism... you know saying things as they are?
September 1, 2006 1:39:55 PM

Quote:

P.S.

STFU

I guess I find you broken down somewhere!
!