Two 802.11 computers on the same network can't communicate

Hi.

I have a very simple home LAN. My laptop uses an SMC 2635W PC Card,
my desktop a Motorola WE800G wireless bridge, to communicate with a
Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router. It works flawlessly in terms of
each computer being able to reach the external Internet -- but the
two computers can't see EACH OTHER. If I ping from one to the other,
less than one packet in 50 gets through. This makes things like
printing and file sharing non-starters.

If I plug either into the router using a patch cable, everything's
fine.

I've flashed the router to the newest ROM.

The problem persists if I boot the laptop as either Windows XP
Service Pack 2, or Debian GNU/Linux (Sarge). Doesn't appear to be a
driver thing. The desktop is always Sarge.

The PC Card is 802.11b, the bridge and router are "g", but surely
that's backward-compatible?

Carl Fink carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading
http://www.jabootu.com
5 answers Last reply
More about computers network communicate

    In article <slrncscit1.b95.carlf@panix2.panix.com>, carlf@panix.com
    says...

    <snippety>

    > The problem persists if I boot the laptop as either Windows XP
    > Service Pack 2, or Debian GNU/Linux (Sarge). Doesn't appear to be a
    > driver thing. The desktop is always Sarge.
    >
    > The PC Card is 802.11b, the bridge and router are "g", but surely
    > that's backward-compatible?

    It sounds to me like the issue lies with the mode in which your
    wireless network is operating. If you're running it in 'Infrastructure'
    mode, computers will not be able to see or talk to each other. However,
    they will be able to link up to the access point, and share HARDWIRED
    resources connected to the same Ethernet segment that the access point
    is connected to.

    'Ad hoc' mode allows wireless-equipped computers to establish
    connections with each other. I've not tried this (I always run
    Infrastructure), but I don't see why file and printer sharing would not
    work.

    Keep in mind the security issues inherent to wireless. Favor WPA
    encryption over WEP if at all possible. If WPA is not available, use the
    longest and most complex WEP key your equipment will allow, AND upgrade
    to WPA-capable hardware as soon as you can.

    Also, use MAC-address filtering. Set it up so that only system
    with their MAC address in your wireless device's ACL will be allowed to
    connect.

    Good luck.

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    On 2004-12-20, Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote:

    > Does the laptop WiFi work in other locations ? If it does you have a
    > case to call Belkin and see if they can suggest anything. LOL.

    Perfectly.

    Belkin, when called, said "flash the router's PROM." This didn't
    help.

    On 2004-12-20, Bruce Lane <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:

    > It sounds to me like the issue lies with the mode in which your
    > wireless network is operating. If you're running it in 'Infrastructure'
    > mode, computers will not be able to see or talk to each other.

    This can't be correct. The access point MUST allow them to
    communicate, or the whole idea of a wireless LAN is defeated.
    --
    Carl Fink carl@fink.to
    Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading
    http://www.jabootu.com

    Make sure your firewall is not blocking the IP address of your
    computers in the network. it will block the file sharing. Assuming
    you are using zonealarm, you can add your computers in a trusted zone.
    That should do the trick.
    Also look at http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net-update.asp
    Hope this helps.

    Carl Fink wrote:
    > On 2004-12-20, Bruce Lane <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:
    >
    > > It sounds to me like the issue lies with the mode in which your
    > > wireless network is operating. If you're running it in
    'Infrastructure'
    > > mode, computers will not be able to see or talk to each other.
    >
    > This can't be correct. The access point MUST allow them to
    > communicate, or the whole idea of a wireless LAN is defeated.
    > --
    > Carl Fink carl@fink.to
    > Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading
    > http://www.jabootu.com
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    On 2004-12-24, noone <akjaineusanuj@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Make sure your firewall is not blocking the IP address of your
    > computers in the network. it will block the file sharing. Assuming
    > you are using zonealarm, you can add your computers in a trusted zone.
    > That should do the trick.
    > Also look at http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net-update.asp
    > Hope this helps.

    Apparently you missed the "both computers running Linux" part of my
    posting.
    --
    Carl Fink carl@fink.to
    Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading