Sign in with
Your question

My P5WD2-E Premium keeps on frying my PSU's!!! [CONCLUDED]

Last response: in Overclocking
August 28, 2006 9:37:03 AM

A while back i was having issues with my computer not posting, no beeps or anything. Initially, it all worked perfectly then one day i turned it on and it didn't do anything - the fans came on, and that was it. I powered down and turned on again, and it posted fine. Over the next few weeks the problem got worse until eventually it wouldn't post at all.

After failing to post, i got an error saying "Overclocking or Overvoltage Failed!"

So anyways, i brought another PSU, a 580w Hiper and plugged it in, it worked fine. Then last week, it failed to post. Then yesterday it failed to post twice... I can see this going the same way as before :s

This is my setup;
ASUS P5WD2-E Premium
Pentium D 805
1GB OCZ S.O.E PC2-6400
580w Hiper PSU
ATI Radeon X1800XT

I've had the EZ-plug plugged in over the duration, i unplugged it yesterday just in case it was that that's been destroying my PSU's... Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, otherwise it looks like i'm going to have to fork out for another £60+ PSU :( 

[edit]
Oh, according to my PSU technical specs, the 24-pin ATX connector is running on the 12v_1 rail, and the molex connectors and PCIe connector are running off the 12v_2 rail... Could the EZ-Plug be tying the two 12v rails together which is slowly destroying my PSU's??
August 28, 2006 1:55:20 PM

I had the same issue. Burned up three PSU's. My issue was a shorted M/B. I openened my case and actually felt a small electrical charge on the metal part of my case. I removed the board and PSU re-powered them up and was still able to feel the charge on the case for the PSU. I RMA'd the board and no problems since. I have not used the EZ plug function. Hope this helps
August 28, 2006 6:24:14 PM

I've already RMA'd the motherboard when the first PSU was going wrong, i got it back with a note saying there was nothing wrong with it...(quite embarassing really)

i'm considering sliding some thick card between the mobo and backplate in the case incase there's some minor contact or something, maybe that'll help...
Related resources
August 29, 2006 2:53:04 AM

You did remember to put yur motherboard on standoffs didnt ouy. I mean you didnt do anything like screw the board down directly on the MB tray...hehe cause thats not good for it.
August 29, 2006 9:34:56 AM

hehe. I did indeed mount it above the motherboard plate using the spacers where necessary, although it is a fairly cheap case - i figured it doesn't do much so why spend big?

Since i've unplugged the EZ-Plug the problem doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, for the last 3 days it's booted up second time... I guess i'll have to persevere with it and see what's happening at the end of the week.
August 29, 2006 3:18:34 PM

Quote:
hehe. I did indeed mount it above the motherboard plate using the spacers where necessary, although it is a fairly cheap case - i figured it doesn't do much so why spend big?

Since i've unplugged the EZ-Plug the problem doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, for the last 3 days it's booted up second time... I guess i'll have to persevere with it and see what's happening at the end of the week.

Why are you certain that your mobo is killing your PSU's?
August 29, 2006 3:54:26 PM

Well, the only problems i'm having with it are getting it to turn on. Games work flawlessly, 3DMarks all work fine over and over and i've had SuperPi running for about 20 hours with no errors...
August 29, 2006 5:01:24 PM

Quote:
...although it is a fairly cheap case - i figured it doesn't do much so why spend big?

So you got an 805 and I'm assuming you bought it to OC... and you still think your case doesn't do anything? *chuckle*
August 29, 2006 5:47:28 PM

Point taken, although there's excellent air flow through the case - two 120mm intake fans on the front and two 120mm exhaust fans on the rear.

I've had it idling on air at 39 degrees, Vcore @ 1.375.

[edit]
Here's an idea. If the two 12v rails of a power supply aren't PRECISELY the same voltage, say one is 12.1v and one 12.3v and you use the EZ-Plug to power your motherboard with both rails effectively connecting the 12v_1 and 12v_2 rails together... not good? Could this be why my PSU's are slowly dying?
[/edit]
August 31, 2006 2:46:56 PM

Here's another small twist. If it's been on for a while and you turn it off, as long as it's not off for more that a few hours it'll boot perfectly...

However, if you leave it off overnight, it won't post straight away in the morning...
August 31, 2006 3:56:05 PM

Get a voltage monitoring utility.
Just a thought.
May or may not be a problem but seeing your voltages is always at the very least fun.
I like to know mine.
It does seem as though power is your issue in some sense.
August 31, 2006 4:11:33 PM

Yeah, i've been monitoring my voltages using SpeedFan v4.29

My 12v rail connected to the motherboard is quite high at 12.3v, under excessive load with Prime95 it barely quivers.

The Vcore on the P5WD2-E fluxuates horrifically depending on CPU load, although there seems to have been a bios fix so the voltage you select in the BIOS is maintained throught maximum load. Admittedly, it does go about 0.05v above what you pick under no load.
Vcore load - 1.365v
Vcore idle - 1.41v

My 3.3v rail sits around 3.35v.
August 31, 2006 4:38:46 PM

You said you tried to RMA they denied?
I'd see if you could borrow a psu for 5 mins from someone etc.
Check the voltages you got when it's plugged in.
If their still about the same .05V over.

I believe .05 is the point that's considered bad.
I'd try calling them and demanding a new mobo saying voltages are off/your having problems still.
More things you could swap if a friend had similar comp would be better.
My experience is if you try a bunch of things/know what your talking about your more likely to get a return without hassle/them ignoring you and thinking you don't know what your talking about.

I'm guessing you don't have a memory/psu tester, although that's always something good.
Also while trying some swapping you might find a fix.
August 31, 2006 4:50:38 PM

When I said I RMA'd it, i phoned up the company I got it from and they gave me a RMA number. I sent it to them via next day delivery, they had a look at it and sent it back saying there was no fault found and charged me an inspection fee.

I agree, swapping out parts would be the best solution but the fact that it was working fine at the start and it's slowly getting worse suggests it could take a while to work out, if ever.

I'll try a new case, maybe there's something up with this one, maybe it's poorly grounded or something - who knows. Luckily the PSU is under waranty for like 3 years so i can send it back and claim another one but i won't be able to do that indefinately :p 
August 31, 2006 4:52:59 PM

I really don't think case would do a darn thing.
Unless you actually see something touching/short.
However I think you may have said you got a shock from case?
So perhaps it's an option.
At least we'll know with all your efforts your case isn't collecting dust bunnies =P
September 7, 2006 9:27:42 AM

Ok, I seem to have fixed it :)  :)  :) 

I Unplugged the EZ-Plug from my motherboard and waited. Over the next 5 days it got progressively better at posting, and this morning it posted for thr first time since I got it. :) 

I expect it was due to the PSU not having identical voltages on each 12v rail, so by connecting them together i was slowly killing my PSU.

I think ASUS should really produce some kind of material regarding their EZ-Plug as there are quite a few people on Google.com who are having similar issues, not to mention how many people saying "Should I use the EZ-Plug?"

So anyways, it's all good now, thanks for everyone's help and suggestions :) 
September 7, 2006 9:47:33 AM

Most PSU's have the 12v_1 rail powering the motherboard and processor (ATX connector and the 4/8 pin plug). The 12v_2 rail is used to power everything else - all the molex connectors and PCI graphics cards.

Most PSU's these days have 24pin ATX connectors, the 4 pins at the end are sometimes detachable from the rest of the plug as older motherboards didn't allow for these pins. They are basically a molex connector in a different shape tacked on to the ATX connector.

Now, on motherboards supporting the EZ-Plug, it is connected in parallel with these 4 pins of the ATX connector. If you've got the 24pin ATX connector inserted AND the EZ-Plug connected (via molex) then you are connecting together your 12v_1 and 12v_2 rails... (not good)

In the ASUS manuals they say you should use the EZ-Plug if your using a 20-pin ATX connector, but say nothing about NOT using it with a 24-pin ATX connector.
September 21, 2010 12:59:34 AM

Oliver_FF -- It sounds like you may be knowledgable enough to answer my question. My PSU has 3 +12v rails, each limited to 16A each. The PSU is

Antec True Power Trio, with Total Power Output = 430W.

My original graphics card blew (an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE), so I need to replace it. I have not been able to find out it's current draw, but all the replacement candidates I find at Fry's state they require a min +12v current of 18A. They, as well as my blown 7300LE, all get all their power from the PCIe X16 slot. So, as I understand it, I need at least 2 of the 3 +12v rails to be connected (internally by the motherboard) to the PCIe X16 slot (where the graphics card goes).

My motherboard is an Asus P5BW-LA (HP/Compac Basswood-UL8E).

You say it's not good to connect two +12v rails together, and I don't understand why (assuming I understand how PSU's work). Aren't all +12v rails supplied by the same circuit in the PSU? Then, downstream of that circuit, aren't groups of wires bundled into rails, with each rail having a separate OCP circuit limiting it (in my case, 16A for each of the three rails)?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

kvar2 (Ken Saunders, kvar2@aol.com)
!