Logitech vs Altec Lansing 2.1 systems

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Systems
  • Logitech
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 28, 2006 9:43:43 AM

Think I only need a new 2.1 set. I currently have an older Altec Lansing AVS300 set and they sound pretty good, but think I can do much better. I would love an input for my IPOD as well.

So looking at: Logitech X230 vs Altec Lansing VS2221Speakers

What do you think. Looking at sub $100 (Australian) so about $75 US.

More about : logitech altec lansing systems

August 29, 2006 5:38:55 AM

Also heard the Logitech Z4's today. Not bad. And has an input for my IPOD.
August 29, 2006 6:01:26 AM

I haven't had the Logitech set, but I recently purchased the VS2221 for $20 US (after rebates) and I am very happy with them. The satellite speakers are somewhat heavy and not cheap feeling, the headphone jack in the speakers is wonderful and the sound it crystal clear, as loud as my ears can stand. The cords coming from the satellites are run under the stand and it makes the cables much neater. The bass is very vibrant. If you get the VS2221 you won't be disappointed. This is a wonderful review of the VS2221 speakers. Sorry I couldn't comment on the Logitech ones though.
Related resources
August 29, 2006 8:05:13 AM

$20! Wow.

In Australia they are $99 AUS!
August 29, 2006 7:12:20 PM

It was a super sale at a local store, they are regularly $50 US. Even at that price I think they are worth it.
August 29, 2006 9:26:01 PM

Now I am wondering if I should get a 5.1 set. Do many game support 5.1? I wont be using them for movies.
August 30, 2006 9:15:02 AM

Who's rating?
August 30, 2006 9:53:11 AM

Quote:
Altec Lansing FX-6021 w/ M-audio Rev. 5.1

Movies and music 5 stars
Games 4 stars

It's no where near $75.

Thanks for reading the thread topic!
August 30, 2006 10:36:39 AM

Quote:
Now I am wondering if I should get a 5.1 set. Do many game support 5.1? I wont be using them for movies.

The answer is YES. Doom 3, F E A R, Quake 4, FAr CRy, Need I say more? :)  I am sure Oblivion ALSO does the 5.1 thingy too .

I say if you can swing the extra moolah.......go for a 5.1 setup. :wink:

I have the logitech Z-5500's and I love em. Check out their website for the specs on em....

But of course if you REALLLLY want some awsooome top of the line sound, go for the Klipsche Pro Media 5.1's ....they are pure symphony when it comes to clean sound my friend. But sadly.... :cry:  I could not afford those.... Here in Canada they go for app. $ 700.00 CDN

I must say though that I am quite satisfied with my Z-5500's. Like I said check em out. You'll be pleased. Best bang for your dollar at that range.

Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo socket 939 AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD driver 1.3.1.0 w/MS hotfix & AMD Dual Core Optimizer)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts
August 30, 2006 12:29:01 PM

If you want a 2.1 set, I would HIGHLY recommened the Logitech Z-2300's. They are the best 2.1 system for a computer. They sound great and the 8" subwoofer packs a strong punch. You can get them for around $130 US on newegg.com. However if you want 5.1, I would definitely say the Z-5500's. I have a set and I would say that is the best $300 I have ever spent. Most games today support 5.1 and it does help a lot, but music sounds incredible which is what I use them for. I have a X-Fi Music soundcard.
August 30, 2006 1:18:03 PM

Hey Nova....doesn't the bass on our Z's KICK SOME SERIOUS @** :lol: 

By the way, you say you have the X-Fi sound card...which one do you have?
Also have you ever played a dvd movie on ut yet? Reason I ask is I was wondering if you get the "DTS" signal showing on the desktop console when you play it.

I know our Z-5500 has Dolby Digital AND DTS surround but its a DECODER (if I guess right) which means it needs an ENCODER to send the dolby signal to the logitechs right?
I was in a convo on another thread about this and I"m afraid I just got confused is all :roll: Too much sound lingo and such....my weakness :( 

RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries
SeaSonic S12 600 PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI X-16 S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 Onboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Optimizer)
2 gigs Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (driver 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 gig HDD / XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig HDD /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD / backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts
September 1, 2006 7:14:21 AM

Quote:

I know our Z-5500 has Dolby Digital AND DTS surround but its a DECODER (if I guess right) which means it needs an ENCODER to send the dolby signal to the logitechs right?
I was in a convo on another thread about this and I"m afraid I just got confused is all :roll: Too much sound lingo and such....my weakness :( 

Well if you use a digital connection from say an onboard connection then the decoder can process Dolby Digital or DTS pre-encoded streams into discrete analog channels, with the most common of these streams being movies, and certain games (mostly shooters).

If you want everything that's sent to your speakers digitally encoded, then yes you need an encoder that can encode in either Dolby Digital or DTS in real time for your Z-5500s. True Dolby Digital or DTS real time encoders are very expensive of course, most of the commercial ones for sound cards are on the lower end of the Dolby Digital/DTS spec for bitrate, so it's not the same as movie quality DD/DTS, but for games it should be more than enough as they are generally pretty low bitrate streams to begin with.
September 1, 2006 12:53:09 PM

Hi Astra,
Believe me when I say that I AM READING and listening to what your saying, but I must say that I still find it hard to soak into this hard head of mine :oops:  So what your saying then is that with onboard sound AND my speakers....I am getting a LOWER QUALITY of digital sound?

And if I wanted a better quality of sound out of my Z-5500's..I would have to get....let's say...a good sound card like the Auzentech X-Plosion that does real time DTS and Dolby Digital ????? in order to get the most out of my speakers??

Sorry Astralite but when it comes to sound crap...ya GOTTA keep it REAEEEEELLLLL simple. I don't do well with conversions :oops: 
September 1, 2006 1:34:59 PM

Quote:
Most games today support 5.1

This is incorrect.

NO games support dolby 5.1 or dts digital sound. Unlike DVDs, PC game audio is encoded in what is called "3D Sound" or spatialization technology (EAX etc..). This is an analogue format.

"High end" (and I use that term loosely becasue ALL PC speakers are crap for anything other than gaming) PC speakers like the logitech z-5500s will be able to present this 3d sound through all 5 speakers.

5.1 is an encoding format that gives a discrete audio feed to each channel. Meaning that the sound that comes out of the front, centre, surround channels has been encoded independently and is SET IN STONE. I.e. when you're watching a DVD, the sound coming fom the surrounds will ALWAYS be the same, each time.

DVDs and some HDTV formats are the only mediums currently using 5.1 digital sound.

This is IMPOSSIBLE in PC games because the location of the audio is constantly changing based on the players position, hence why the term "3D sound" is used. I.e. the location of gunfire will vary depending on if youre facing it or not.

I use a set of logitech z-5500s and they are decent for gaming. Listening to music on PC speakers, however, is just brutal.

I hope this helps.