And another 1st time builder needing advice...

andyb1984

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
As someone who has always had notebooks, I've never really got into gaming, but I need a powerful machine for web development (think loads of services running, inc dev databases and web server services) as well as some (probably excessive...) multitasking. I also want to make sure that when Vista comes along, my build is able to run the premium features of Vista. I'm pretty sure that it will, but not sure enough to bang my credit card details in right yet. Any advice on that front would be gratefully received, as would any general advice about how much this fits my needs. One area I'm not sure about is the PSU. How do I work out what I'll need?

Finally, I'm not into overclocking, but I want the flexibility to experiment when I get the time. Here goes:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 CPU
Gigabyte 965P - DQ6 Conroe m/board
2GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM (Corsair XMS2)
Seagate Barracude 7200.10 S300 320GB HD
ATI Radeon X1300-based 512MB PCI-Express Graphics (for exact model, see this link.)
Display - Hanns-G 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor (1440x900)
Logitech RX1000 Laser Mouse
Logitech Media Keyboard
LG Supermulti Drive (Black)
StarTech.com 20-in-1 internal 3.5" flash memory card reader (USB2.0)
Netgear WG311 802.11g adapter
Case - undecided
PSU - 450w EZcool model - is this power rating enough?

I think I've covered everything I need here, and I don't think I've made any silly compatibility mistakes, but some feedback/advice/suggestions for changes would be much appreciated.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
nice build
i would think 450watt should be plenty 4 that rig. especially with the lame x1300 512MB.
Do u really need a 512MB card. 4 the same money u could probly get a better 256MB card. perhaps a x1600 series card.
512MB is definetly not needed

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Nice system. My recommendations are definitely raid. Multitasking, especially when your stressing the system, such as web development, you will definitely see an improved responsivness with the system. However raid0 will increase your performance the most, it also decreases your data security... So I recommend raid5. You need at least 3 harddrives to accomplish this. HERE is a read on raid5 and it's workings. I looked it up and your motherboard supports onboard raid5. So an additional raid card wouldn't be needed. I would recommend three of THESE harddrives to be put in raid5. You would ultimately end up with a faster harddrive system with 500gb of space, and data secury just in case one of the drives fail.

I was looking on that website that your videocard was listed on and I was looking for a 7600gs with vivo... but after looking it doesn't seem that one online store has a giant selection. I was looking at the 7600gs with vivo, because then you could alwyas have the option to increase your computers flexibilty, as well it would keep that passive cooling, so silence would be maintaned on the graphics card end. After doing a quick newegg search only 2 cards came up with VIVO and passive cooling. I would recommend the 9600 AIW card, seeing as you don't need fancy new features or a powerful GPU for what you do. But at the same time if VIVO is of no value to you, then what you have is just fine. Yes 512mb is overkill and would not benefit you at all, so you could get a card with lesser money and save the 5$.

I'm assuming with your mouse you mean the MX1000, and not the RX1000. What I have heard is this mouse is complete crap. Battery and wireless issues is a common story told to me by owners of this mouse. I recommend you spend the extra money, and if wireless is needed, you get the G7. Yes it is a gaming mouse with a premium price, but it is by far the best wireless mouse I've ever used. Then again I've heard Microsoft's wireless mice are good too, and alot more affordible.

Your powersupply probably will do, but after a quick google search I see it's either psu that came with a case or it's the 20$ special. Yes, it will probably do, but to increase the longevity of your system and the stabilty, I would recommend something of higher quality. Rule of thumb with power supplies... Buy a quality brand, make sure you got enough amps running off the rails. (In your case I would imagine 18amps off the 12v rail would be overkill, but I wouldn't go any lower, this way you have upgrading headroom and a stable constant clean power to your system). And always buy a PSU with with active PFC, or Power Factor Correction, wich delivers even cleaner and more stable power to your system.

Finally I noticed you where undecided with your case. Buy something with alot of room, but I think a full tower is overkill for almost anyone. A mid tower would probably just right, and make sure you get a case with at least 2 fans (intake and exhaust), and the bigger the fans the better. Best would be 2x 120mm for balanced airflow. Or you could kill the power supply and case in one shot. Antec has a very attractive bundle that is almost the standard for most systems on a budget. But don't let that detour you. This case is the best for it's money for a reason. Read reviews and check it out yourself. Case is more subjective than anything besides material used, and cooling capacity. Anyways, THIS is the case I keep praising upon. But if you don't decide to buy that case, check the fans, and remember aluminum is better. Lighter and disipates heat better as well.

I hope my input helped :D

andyb1984

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Thanks for your help with this. You've given me a few helpful pointers that, with a bit of luck, will set me on my way to a decent system.

I'm looking into using RAID, and have it set up on a server machine for redundancy. More of a long term objective (have spent FAR too much money already...)

Still undecided about the way to go with the graphics card. Have looked at some of the options you've suggested. I've found (actually another overkill 512MB) x1600 for the same sort of money as the x1300. It is fan cooled though, but I can probably live with the extra noise, so long as the PSU can live with the extra power. Here is a link to the card I've found at scan.co.uk

Cheers again. Let me know if buying this card will amount to a monumental cock up...

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Thanks for your help with this. You've given me a few helpful pointers that, with a bit of luck, will set me on my way to a decent system.

I'm looking into using RAID, and have it set up on a server machine for redundancy. More of a long term objective (have spent FAR too much money already...)

Still undecided about the way to go with the graphics card. Have looked at some of the options you've suggested. I've found (actually another overkill 512MB) x1600 for the same sort of money as the x1300. It is fan cooled though, but I can probably live with the extra noise, so long as the PSU can live with the extra power. Here is a link to the card I've found at scan.co.uk

Cheers again. Let me know if buying this card will amount to a monumental **** up...

Look at this video card instead:
7300GT 256MB

Drop to down an E6600 and save probably 100 pounds. Overclock the 6600 to 6700 levels.

TRENDING THREADS