New virus attacks AMD processors

CoolChill

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Some folks from Symantec have discovered a new proof of concept virus that targets AMD processors rather than operating systems. Though they rated them as low level threat, I find this interesting for discussion.

For more info:click here

Any IDEAS :idea: :?:

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Some folks from Symantec have discovered a new proof of concept virus that targets AMD processors rather than operating systems. Though they rated them as low level threat, I find this interesting for discussion.

Well, all I can say is that I've read this before and I think it's total BS.

I can also write a "proof of concept virus that targets intel processors", but would that make me a clever person? :wink:

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

I can also write a "proof of concept virus that targets intel processors", but would that make me a clever person? :wink:

Well, your favorite source for starting your posts, The Inquirer, also has it on it's page:

AMD Virus Story

Won't that make it true, since you seem to use the Inq. oh so much?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Why wouldn't they target Intel? There are a lot more people using Intel than AMD.

Here's a speculation of why:

The logical next step would therefore be to combine the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the malware to create a single virus that can target both chip families. Weafer added that this is easier to do for AMD processors than for 32- and 64-bit Intel chips because the two AMD families are more similar than the Intel ones.

I am sure that there is an intel version, it's just not common.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
It's an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

It makes sense, though sadly the AMD fanboys are going to start having seizures.

It just goes to show you how easy it is to compromize modern systems.

Buffer Overrun -> Execute Assembly -> Full System Access

It's cool that xD feature will reduce Buffer Overruns, as soon as new binaries come out.

Anyway, they said it's possible on Intel processors, so the AMD fanboys need to calm down. It was just easier to do on AMD first.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Why wouldn't they target Intel? There are a lot more people using Intel than AMD.
It's probably some intel fanboy's way of getting rid of all the AMD ones. Or Intel's way of getting rid of AMD without the finger being pointed to them :wink:

As the virus only attaches itself onto windows executable files, Linux for all of us!!!!!!!!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
As long as there isn't a virus that morphs my PC into a blonde gal, who morphs her arm into a torch or saw... I think there shouldn't be anything to be alarmed of. :oops:

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
sock_puppet.jpg

ROFL

ROFL

ROFL

ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrmez

Splendid
Sounds like a re-hash of "viruses killing mobos"
That was around when i was in high skool.

All i know... I call BS until it happens to me :p :p

BS!

Also...
Wasnt there one of those 80's videos on Compfused awhile ago with something like "computer terrorists can hack your pc and cause it to kill you"???

LOL, i wish. Maybe then sum1 would 'Kill Bill'

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
The mobo killer was real back in the day.

But I find it more amusing/scary to find Symantec ACTIVELY finding ways to crack open systems with virii, aren't they supposed to deploy software that cures virii?!

Not that Norton Antivirus does anything but harm the computer, but still.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
It seems quite a few posters haven't seen the larger picture here. Note it read "The w32.bounds and w64.bounds viruses infect systems by tying themselves to Windows executable files"

So they already had to be on an system, a system was ALREADY infected before any CPU matters. Given the virus author already had the ability to alter, add and execute files, he already owned your box either way.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Of Course.

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Alright, I just had to go straight to the source to help rationalize this problem. Here are the facts straight from Symantec:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-081009-3153-99

According to that, it can infect both AMD and Intel systems. It is the same thing with a 32 bit computer:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-080913-5115-99\

Regardless of the processor in your system, your computer can still get infected by a virus.

Get over it.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
this is actually old news;a woman programmer found that the 64 amd's were succeptible to virus attacks,she was highly criticized by alot of people.
i forget the aspect of the chip that makes it prone;i didnt post it because i didnt want to promote it;and now that you have aided in its promotion,ill be equipping my fire wall with a mortar cannon.
i wish i had that link,,,its pretty old news and symantec didnt discover it.

Actually this is a different thing (I think) and it was crap. The stories kept saying constantly that the Blue Pill attacked AMD when in reality it used virtualization, so it could hit Intel OR AMD. They convieniently left that out of most of the articles about it hough.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Alright, I just had to go straight to the source to help rationalize this problem. Here are the facts straight from Symantec:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-081009-3153-99

According to that, it can infect both AMD and Intel systems. It is the same thing with a 32 bit computer:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-080913-5115-99\

Regardless of the processor in your system, your computer can still get infected by a virus.

Get over it.
truth is overrated;why dont we just agree with 9 inch and validate his distorted sense of whats real.

who needs truth :?: its always so ,,,,,,,,truthful 8O grand storytelling is far superior in that it serves no real function of any form. :?

even genius has its limitations,whereas stupidity has no limitations. :roll:

So what you are saying is that Symantec faked the information in their article? That when the point out in their website that the virus can affect EMT64 (Intel) as well as x86-64 ("Systems Affected: Windows 64-bit (AMD64), Windows 64-bit (EM64T)") that they are lying? Interesting, I wonder what their motivation is.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

There are as many vectors for infection as there are lines of code.... In other words if you can run it they will come ! lol Im waiting for virus writers to start using video card drivers... "Hey I just downloaded the nude pamila anderson skin for quake 4 !!!" lol now that would be comedy gold :)

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I think it's entirely possible to make an executable that's aware of what type of processor it's being run on... thus, it sounds believable enough that a virus like this would only execute on the processor type of its own choosing... does that mean an AMD CPU has a flaw? Nope. Just means it was being picked on... unless the "virus" is utilizing an exploit in the processor design I just don't see the big deal in this matter.

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
This is a proof-of-concept virus, correct? If so, that would imply that it hadn't been found "in the wild" but created to see if it were possible to exist.

Not sure this is anything to worry about. But you were right, it does make for interesting conversation.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Get over it.
truth is overrated;why dont we just agree with 9 inch and validate his distorted sense of whats real.

who needs truth :?: its always so ,,,,,,,,truthful 8O grand storytelling is far superior in that it serves no real function of any form. :?

even genius has its limitations,whereas stupidity has no limitations. :roll:

Here Here!! :lol: