Help, quick DS3 ???

TheWraith

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Whare do I get the drivers for the SATA controller to install WinXP? I looked on the Gigabyte website, but they only have the SATA drivers for the Gigabyte SATA controller, I was going to use the other one, which I belive is the Intel ICH8.

thanks...

Qisa

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I've been looking through the DS3 manual I downloaded from Gigabyte's site while I wait for mine to arrive and that's certainly a question I have as well. The manual isn't too clear on the subject.

If you look in section 2-1 of the manual under the "IDE Channel 0/1 Master" heading, it makes it *seem* like you should be able to just plug the SATA drives into the SATAII 0-3 slots and use them without a driver as long as you set that option to AUTO.

Worth a shot anyhow. I'd certainly be interested to know if that works.

Liquidhellz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
They are on the CD that comes with the MOBO.. I have a problem with it though.. let me try to explain the best I can.

Im building a new CPU from scratch using the new DS3 Mobo, Core 2 Duo E6600, GSkill DDR2 6400 Ram, and Seagate 320 GB HD. I can get to the Bios screen and ajust anything need be in there, I can boot from my Windows CD and load Windows onto the HD(Windows XP Home). BUT when I take the Windows CD out after it is finished installing and try to start up it goes to the final screen before the windows XP logo screen and just restarts indefinatly. Im thinking it has something to do with the HD because I swapped it out with my old Western Digital IDE hard drive and it loaded all the way to windows.. worked and everything. (just took a really really long time to load windows..) This is a SATA HD and im not sure how exactly it should be installed.. shouldnt windows just recognize it right away like it did with the older IDE? I formatted the Seagate SATA and everything before the windows installation. Ive done everything in the Gigabyte manual pertaining to the SATA install and it still wont work. Ive also been on Seagates site to get their floppy boot thingy and I tried loading that before it restarts and it says something like MS DOS NOT FOUND. Then it restarts. Anyone have any ideas? If you need more info please ask. Thanks in advance.

DTM13

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Try page 74 thru 77 in the manual.If i am reading it right you have to install the sata drivers before installing the OS.You can put the drivers on a floppy and when windows(during installation) ask's if any 3rd party drivers need installed that is when you install the sata drivers.

amarko5

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
you actually have to press f6 quite sharply right at the start of the intallation process then insert the floppy you have created with the raid drivers on , and select the raid from the list.

weilin

Distinguished
hmm i have my SATA Drives set to native (sata0-3) and all of them are Seagate 7900.10s. No problems. didnt need a floppy at all. Just went through windows setup without thinking.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Whare do I get the drivers for the SATA controller to install WinXP? I looked on the Gigabyte website, but they only have the SATA drivers for the Gigabyte SATA controller, I was going to use the other one, which I belive is the Intel ICH8.

thanks...

You can get the drivers directly from Intel's website. In the downloads sections just go to desktop chipsets --> 965 or something like that. They will have the most up to date drivers for the chipset and the ICH8/ICH8R SATA/RAID controller.