renaming .dll files

Does anyone know how to rename a file with an .exe extension to a .dll extension.

It sounds easy I know but here is what happened so far - a friend of mine renamed a .dll file (SERIALNO.dll) to a .exe extension (SERIALNO.exe). This was fine but when he tried to rename it back it seemed to work fine but now there is a hidden .exe extension on the end of the filename (SERIALNO.dll.exe). This hidden extension doesn't show up under the 'My computer' file display but does if a shortcut is created from the desktop. So the system thinks that this is an application file & not a .dll file.

Any ideas anyone on how to remove this hidden .exe extension or to create new .dll file using the existing file?

sclarke18

What probably happened was that Windows File Protection automatically
recreated a file SERIALNO.DLL (I don't have this file in Win2000, could it
be SERIALUI.DLL?) as soon as your friend renamed it, so you have both a
file SERIALNO.DLL and your renamed file SERIALNO.DLL.EXE.

This happens if you have "hide extensions for known file types" active. If
this setting is disabled, you will get an error message, when trying to
rename the file back, that it already exists.

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

sclarke18 <sclarke18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to rename a file with an .exe extension to a .dll extension.
>
>It sounds easy I know but here is what happened so far - a friend of mine renamed a .dll file (SERIALNO.dll) to a .exe extension (SERIALNO.exe). This was fine but when he tried to rename it back it seemed to work fine but now there is a hidden .exe extension on the end of the filename (SERIALNO.dll.exe). This hidden extension doesn't show up under the 'My computer' file display but does if a shortcut is created from the desktop. So the system thinks that this is an application file & not a .dll file.
>
>Any ideas anyone on how to remove this hidden .exe extension or to create new .dll file using the existing file?

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for replying to my question. I will check to see if Windows File Protection created a copy of the file this evening – I don’t think that it did but I will check anyway.

Assuming that the file was renamed from SERIALNO.dll to SERIALNO.exe, but on renaming it back to SERIALNO.dll it added the .exe hidden extension. So, is there any way of removing this hidden extension or creating a new .dll file using that file’s contents?

Regards,

Stephen

"Bjorn Landemoo" wrote:

> sclarke18
>
> What probably happened was that Windows File Protection automatically
> recreated a file SERIALNO.DLL (I don't have this file in Win2000, could it
> be SERIALUI.DLL?) as soon as your friend renamed it, so you have both a
> file SERIALNO.DLL and your renamed file SERIALNO.DLL.EXE.
>
> This happens if you have "hide extensions for known file types" active. If
> this setting is disabled, you will get an error message, when trying to
> rename the file back, that it already exists.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bjorn
> --
> Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)
>
> sclarke18 <sclarke18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to rename a file with an .exe extension to a .dll extension.
> >
> >It sounds easy I know but here is what happened so far - a friend of mine renamed a .dll file (SERIALNO.dll) to a .exe extension (SERIALNO.exe). This was fine but when he tried to rename it back it seemed to work fine but now there is a hidden .exe extension on the end of the filename (SERIALNO.dll.exe). This hidden extension doesn't show up under the 'My computer' file display but does if a shortcut is created from the desktop. So the system thinks that this is an application file & not a .dll file.
> >
> >Any ideas anyone on how to remove this hidden .exe extension or to create new .dll file using the existing file?

sclarke18

Sure, just rename it. As I said before, disable "hide extensions for known
file types", and ensure that there isn't already a file with that name, and
it'll work fine.