Powerful stuff at or near the beginning of the game???

In your opinion, what are the most powerful things that you can get early in
the game, (when you know where they are)?

I suppose the Amulet of Shadows, with its strong Chameleon, and the Lord's
Mail, with its Cure Poison and Resist Magicka, would be two of the best.
They'd be good to go for as soon as you're strong enough to defeat their
owners. And of course you can rob the Redoran Treasury with just a bottle of
telekinesis, while you're still level 1.

Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted to get
rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?
16 answers Last reply
More about powerful stuff beginning game

    "The Appalling Silence" <appsil@myway.com> wrote:

    >In your opinion, what are the most powerful things that you can get early in
    >the game, (when you know where they are)?
    >
    >I suppose the Amulet of Shadows, with its strong Chameleon, and the Lord's
    >Mail, with its Cure Poison and Resist Magicka, would be two of the best.
    >They'd be good to go for as soon as you're strong enough to defeat their
    >owners. And of course you can rob the Redoran Treasury with just a bottle of
    >telekinesis, while you're still level 1.
    >
    >Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted to get
    >rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?

    There's a Sword of White Woe in the Guard tower in Balmora, that makes a fairly
    powerful weapon (after repair) for the newly arrived MW immigrant.

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:02:28 +1000, "The Appalling Silence"
    <appsil@myway.com> wrote:

    >In your opinion, what are the most powerful things that you can get early in
    >the game, (when you know where they are)?
    >
    >I suppose the Amulet of Shadows, with its strong Chameleon, and the Lord's
    >Mail, with its Cure Poison and Resist Magicka, would be two of the best.
    >They'd be good to go for as soon as you're strong enough to defeat their
    >owners. And of course you can rob the Redoran Treasury with just a bottle of
    >telekinesis, while you're still level 1.
    >
    >Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted to get
    >rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?

    If you've got the Bloodmoon expansion and can Somehow make it to the
    Village of Thirsk, there's a snow covered hollow stump Next to the
    north end of the building (the end opposite the entrance) that
    contains an assortment of stuff along with 5 "Ebony Arrows of Slaying"
    that DO 5000 points of Health Damage EACH!!!! Which means that Each
    arrow can Instantly kill prettywell ANYTHING or Anyone in the game IF
    the arrow doesn't miss.

    Granted beginner characters May Not be able to reach the arrows early
    in a game, nor would a beginner character be likely to hit anything
    worth killing with them. However I don't know of ANY other weapons in
    the game that are anywhere near as powerful as the Arrows of
    Slaying... ^_^

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    Some time between the hours of March 10th and Friday, "The Appalling
    Silence" <appsil@myway.com> committed the following:

    > Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted
    > to get rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?

    Well, there's Mentor's Ring (it's in a trapped urn in a tomb near Seyda
    Neen), for a nice 20-point boost to your Intelligence and Willpower...
    which is no help at all when trying to join the Mage's Guild under Wakim's
    improvements!

    And if you can be bothered visiting Ilunibi (just north of Gnaar Mok)
    before you absolutely HAVE to go there, there's a pair of powerful
    gauntlets that boost your Strength and Endurance by 20 points. Better early
    than, ah, later. And that Sixth House amulet's worth a pretty penny too.
    --
    Rev. Cardboard Box, dropping clangers like Notre Dame, KABONG!
    www.livejournal.com/users/revcardboardbox

    The Appalling Silence wrote:
    > In your opinion, what are the most powerful things that you can get early in
    > the game, (when you know where they are)?
    >
    > I suppose the Amulet of Shadows, with its strong Chameleon, and the Lord's
    > Mail, with its Cure Poison and Resist Magicka, would be two of the best.
    > They'd be good to go for as soon as you're strong enough to defeat their
    > owners. And of course you can rob the Redoran Treasury with just a bottle of
    > telekinesis, while you're still level 1.
    >
    > Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted to get
    > rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?

    I hate to bring this up again, but this to me, is the major problem with
    MW...that you know exactly where to find powerful items in every game
    you start. The fact that you can know where certain monsters, items,
    dungeons, etc are whether it's your first game of MW or your 500th,
    greatly diminishes the sense of exploration and immersion as well as
    replayability.

    Well, you don't have to run right to the "good stuff." There are games
    where I've done this, and games where I just role play (and avoid
    things I've done in general a lot before, whether they are "good stuff"
    or not).

    In and around Seyda Neen, there are three hollow trees (four if you
    count the Fargoth quests) that contain some gold and a magic axe and
    magic dagger, Mentor's Ring, a thief's ring in a pile of gold in the
    back cave of Adamasartus (or whatever that smuggler's cave is named),
    and the tax collector quest (+200, +500, +700 gold depending on how you
    play it), and a magic sword on Tarheil just NW of town on the trail to
    Hla Oad. The excise office holds a lot of low level stuff if you're
    inclined to theft.

    In Hla Oad, past the pool in Fat Leg's Drop Off is a near complete set
    of steel armor. All of these are things you can more or less pick up
    off the ground (except for the undead guarding Mentor's Ring and the
    smugglers in the Adammumble).

    It depends on the order you do things. Find dead guy (200 gold), find
    killer and deal with him, report murder (+500 more gold).

    Out of curiosity, how do you get 700 gold from that quest? I've only gotten
    the 500.

    <appsil@myway.com> wrote:

    >I suppose the Amulet of Shadows, with its strong Chameleon, and the Lord's
    >Mail, with its Cure Poison and Resist Magicka, would be two of the best.
    >They'd be good to go for as soon as you're strong enough to defeat their
    >owners. And of course you can rob the Redoran Treasury with just a bottle of
    >telekinesis, while you're still level 1.

    I've done this at level 1 - took 2 or 3 healing potions before and had
    bought an impressive number of fire type scrolls.

    >Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted to get
    >rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?

    If cash is all you're after you can pursue a career in alchemy rather
    early - and make good friends with Creeper...

    The Appalling Silence wrote:
    > In your opinion, what are the most powerful things that you can get early in
    > the game, (when you know where they are)?
    >
    > I suppose the Amulet of Shadows, with its strong Chameleon, and the Lord's
    > Mail, with its Cure Poison and Resist Magicka, would be two of the best.
    > They'd be good to go for as soon as you're strong enough to defeat their
    > owners. And of course you can rob the Redoran Treasury with just a bottle of
    > telekinesis, while you're still level 1.
    >
    > Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted to get
    > rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?

    You can "find" the lost ebony mine outside of Balmora and report it to
    house Hllalu in Balmora. Choosing the right person for the information
    and picking a complex lock in Vivec results in a Daedric weapon reward.
    In my case I chose the Daedric Katana worth a fortune or useful to
    beat on anything or enchant.

    On 13 Jun 2005 02:55:27 -0700, "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote:

    >Well, you don't have to run right to the "good stuff." There are games
    >where I've done this, and games where I just role play (and avoid
    >things I've done in general a lot before, whether they are "good stuff"
    >or not).

    If your character is the type to shop around, and can repair things, you
    can get a very nice deal on a worn-out glass dagger in one of the Suran
    shops.
    --
    Greg Johnson
    Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

    You can also find one at the merchant in St. Delyn's canton in Vivec (the
    one who is the father of Invisible Boy).

    If you have decent Enchant skill, you're better off enchanting the glass
    dagger, which also has the side effect of completely repairing it.

    <appsil@myway.com> wrote:

    >Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted to get
    >rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?

    If you're interested in hidden treasure, there is an Ebony Shortsword
    worth 10000 gold pieces INSIDE the stones (a real sword in the stone)
    above the Odai Plateau (a fairly safe trip south of Balmora). To find
    the sword, goto the Odai Plateau and Open your Game Console and type
    TCL then close the console and travel into the rocks above the
    Plateau, you'll find the sword suspended inside one of the rocks.
    Once you've got the sword, get out of the rocks and again open your
    console and type TCL again to restore your game to normal mode.

    Granted the Ebony Shortsword isn't a powerful weapon, however it is a
    decent weapon that can be either used as is, or enchanted, or sold for
    a fair amount...

    Have fun! ^_^

    :phant wrote in news:24vpa153mk5u5mdijudd6cem2kkgg0n3f5@4ax.com:

    > "The Appalling Silence" <appsil@myway.com> wrote:
    >
    >>In your opinion, what are the most powerful things that you can get
    >>early in the game, (when you know where they are)?
    >>
    >>I suppose the Amulet of Shadows, with its strong Chameleon, and the
    >>Lord's Mail, with its Cure Poison and Resist Magicka, would be two of
    >>the best. They'd be good to go for as soon as you're strong enough to
    >>defeat their owners. And of course you can rob the Redoran Treasury
    >>with just a bottle of telekinesis, while you're still level 1.
    >>
    >>Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted
    >>to get rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?
    >>

    > There's a Sword of White Woe in the Guard tower in Balmora, that makes
    > a fairly powerful weapon (after repair) for the newly arrived MW
    > immigrant.

    There's one in Suran also. Dual White Woe's not bad...even later in the
    game.

    --
    ~sethra

    Some time between the hours of March 10th and Friday, FTA
    <FTA@fake.email> committed the following:

    > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:02:28 +1000, "The Appalling Silence"
    > <appsil@myway.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Do you have any other favorites, that you would gather if you wanted
    >>to get rich or powerful at or near the beginning of a new game?
    >>

    > If you're interested in hidden treasure, there is an Ebony Shortsword
    > worth 10000 gold pieces INSIDE the stones

    Actually, it's poking out of the ground. Well, it was the last time I
    looked.
    --
    Rev. Cardboard Box, dropping clangers like Notre Dame, KABONG!
    www.livejournal.com/users/revcardboardbox
    "For most people, its 'Mind that bus!' 'What bus?', SPLAT!"
    (Hellpope Huey)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:29:38 GMT, Cardboard Box
    <http@//tacnukebubblebath.tripod.com/cgi-bin/tnb.pl?mail=Usenet> wrote:

    >Some time between the hours of March 10th and Friday, FTA
    ><FTA@fake.email> committed the following:

    >> If you're interested in hidden treasure, there is an Ebony Shortsword
    >> worth 10000 gold pieces INSIDE the stones
    >
    >Actually, it's poking out of the ground. Well, it was the last time I
    >looked.

    That was changed in one of the first patches. Now you either have to
    know exactly where it is, or use wire-frame mode to find it.
    --

    DeAnn wrote:
    > In and around Seyda Neen, there are three hollow trees (four if you
    > count the Fargoth quests) that contain some gold and a magic axe and
    > magic dagger, Mentor's Ring, a thief's ring in a pile of gold in the
    > back cave of Adamasartus (or whatever that smuggler's cave is named),
    > and the tax collector quest (+200, +500, +700 gold depending on how you
    > play it), and a magic sword on Tarheil just NW of town on the trail to
    > Hla Oad. The excise office holds a lot of low level stuff if you're
    > inclined to theft.

    In the guest room at Arille's Tradehouse, there's a Newtscale Cuirass
    under the bed and a Steel Dagger of Swiftblade under the pillow - not
    earth-shaking but not bad for a beginning character.

Games Video Games