Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What do you think of this character?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:34:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

A High Elf mage with Wombburn. This was my second character and I killed
Dagoth Ur before quitting, but it's been so long I can't even remember if I
liked it or not, though I have to say I'm getting tired of being an
assassin, whacking people with my glass long sword and glass dagger.
Sneaking is fun, acrobatics is fun, but I would think magic is more fun. And
nah, I don't want to be a Breton. I think they look and sound... odd. I
don't think the weaknesses I'll have will matter with a 50/50 chance that
each spell will be absorbed into my own magicka fountain, muahahahaa!!!

More about : character

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:04:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Simmie Simmerson wrote:
> A High Elf mage with Wombburn. This was my second character and I killed
> Dagoth Ur before quitting, but it's been so long I can't even remember if I
> liked it or not, though I have to say I'm getting tired of being an
> assassin, whacking people with my glass long sword and glass dagger.
> Sneaking is fun, acrobatics is fun, but I would think magic is more fun. And
> nah, I don't want to be a Breton. I think they look and sound... odd. I
> don't think the weaknesses I'll have will matter with a 50/50 chance that
> each spell will be absorbed into my own magicka fountain, muahahahaa!!!
>
>
hey d0nt di55 teh brit0nz!!!!!11111one

My current character is a female Briton. :) 

But sounds good, yeah.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:02:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

LOL! Well the female Bretons, that's another story. I can't remember if
that's a Breton in Earthly Delights or not... though I'm pretty sure the one
who sells the moon sugar is. But the dudes, some of them look like they're
wearing make-up lol. Leet speak. I need to learn some of that.

> hey d0nt di55 teh brit0nz!!!!!11111one
>
> My current character is a female Briton. :) 
>
> But sounds good, yeah.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:12:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Simmie Simmerson wrote:
> LOL! Well the female Bretons, that's another story. I can't remember if
> that's a Breton in Earthly Delights or not... though I'm pretty sure the one
> who sells the moon sugar is. But the dudes, some of them look like they're
> wearing make-up lol. Leet speak. I need to learn some of that.

Yeah, there is one there, and she looks just like my character. :)  I
believe she's on the right.

Nah, l337 speek i5 teh sux0rzzzz!!!!1111onelolololorz

I'm just being goofy.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:34:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Hm ya know what? My alter got hit by a fire atronach's firebloom or whatever
it's called and I dropped dead in seconds, so... I think I'll try a Breton
after all. Spent a long time deciding how to build him, thing is, I know
nothing about Bretons outside of Morrowind. What can you tell me about their
history? Are they any books in Morrowind I can read that tell about them?
It's been a long time since I've collected books there. I imagine that the
previous games fleshed out their history better.

> Yeah, there is one there, and she looks just like my character. :)  I
> believe she's on the right.
>
> Nah, l337 speek i5 teh sux0rzzzz!!!!1111onelolololorz
>
> I'm just being goofy.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:55:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Simmie Simmerson wrote:
> Hm ya know what? My alter got hit by a fire atronach's firebloom or whatever
> it's called and I dropped dead in seconds, so... I think I'll try a Breton
> after all. Spent a long time deciding how to build him, thing is, I know
> nothing about Bretons outside of Morrowind. What can you tell me about their
> history? Are they any books in Morrowind I can read that tell about them?
> It's been a long time since I've collected books there. I imagine that the
> previous games fleshed out their history better.

Well, they're similar to the British and French in the real world. They
live in High Rock, which is partially where Daggefall took place (along
with northern Hammerfell, and it's a pretty basic Medieval Europe type
place. I think they might be related to the High Elves, and they of
course have magical talent.

I'm no expert on Bretons specifically, but here's some info I found
about Bretons, among other things:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat...

Here's a site with info, including *all* the books from *all* the ES
games, which is a nice place if you want to do some research:

http://til.gamingsource.net/

Here's a great general info site that's been around since at least
Daggerfall's day, but I couldn't find anything specifially about Bretons:

http://www.uesp.net/
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:56:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

I was flipping through the official forums on ES Lore, and read that Bretons
are the result of Altmer and Nordic interspecies breeding. But some people
were disagreeing that it was the Nords, but apparently it was Altmer and
some other human race. Now that I look at Bretons in Morrowind, their ears
seem to look a little pointy, but it could be my imagination.
Thanks, I'll check out these sights. I've been playing my Breton all night,
heh... in my last game I was cheesy and just paid people to train me in misc
skills. This time around I want to earn everything. It's actually much more
fun, oddly. The Breton is actually growing on me.

> Well, they're similar to the British and French in the real world. They
> live in High Rock, which is partially where Daggefall took place (along
> with northern Hammerfell, and it's a pretty basic Medieval Europe type
> place. I think they might be related to the High Elves, and they of
> course have magical talent.
>
> I'm no expert on Bretons specifically, but here's some info I found about
> Bretons, among other things:
>
> http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat...
>
> Here's a site with info, including *all* the books from *all* the ES
> games, which is a nice place if you want to do some research:
>
> http://til.gamingsource.net/
>
> Here's a great general info site that's been around since at least
> Daggerfall's day, but I couldn't find anything specifially about Bretons:
>
> http://www.uesp.net/
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:29:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Simmie Simmerson wrote:
> I was flipping through the official forums on ES Lore, and read that Bretons
> are the result of Altmer and Nordic interspecies breeding. But some people
> were disagreeing that it was the Nords, but apparently it was Altmer and
> some other human race. Now that I look at Bretons in Morrowind, their ears
> seem to look a little pointy, but it could be my imagination.
> Thanks, I'll check out these sights. I've been playing my Breton all night,
> heh... in my last game I was cheesy and just paid people to train me in misc
> skills. This time around I want to earn everything. It's actually much more
> fun, oddly. The Breton is actually growing on me.

Yeah, I'd read that too, about the High Elf ancestry, which would make
sense, I guess with the innate magical talents in both races.

I agree that the ease in training in MW is a little cheesy. Once again,
I like the way DF did it better. It basically just added quite a few
uses to the skill, which doesn't seem that different except that skills
only increased when you rested. So if you used lots of skills or did
lots of training, when you rested for a while, you'd have several
messages saying that your skills have improved (and maybe your level has
gone up). This seems a lot more realistic, as you've had time to rest
and reflect on your practice rather than, just mid-combat going, "hey, I
am suddenly better at using this sword!"

So basically you couldnt just stand around for days straight just
training constantly. You had to rest in between sessions before it did
any good, and loitering didn't count.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:29:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:29:52 GMT, "J. W. McCall"
<jmccall@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>I agree that the ease in training in MW is a little cheesy. Once again,
>I like the way DF did it better. It basically just added quite a few
>uses to the skill, which doesn't seem that different except that skills
>only increased when you rested. So if you used lots of skills or did
>lots of training, when you rested for a while, you'd have several
>messages saying that your skills have improved (and maybe your level has
>gone up). This seems a lot more realistic, as you've had time to rest
>and reflect on your practice rather than, just mid-combat going, "hey, I
>am suddenly better at using this sword!"
>
>So basically you couldnt just stand around for days straight just
>training constantly. You had to rest in between sessions before it did
>any good, and loitering didn't count.

Also, in Daggerfall, you could only train once a day. That made
practicing your skills that much more important. I always try to
remember to practice my spells just before fast-travelling cautiously.
--
Nyctolops
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:31:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

I hope Oblivion improves on some things in Morrowind. Obviously the combat,
swinging a weapon three different ways, gets a little repetetive. Armor
Rating doesn't seem to do jack squat. Even with a full suit of ebony armor
and 100 in heavy armor and endurance, I get hit by cliff racers. I'm
guessing that armor is supposed to absorb damage rather than prevent you
from getting hit at all, and that's fine, but it seems all armors absorb the
same amount of damage. Also, the magic system... seems that your skill in a
school of magic only affects your percentage chance to successfully cast a
spell. That seems silly. I know this is just my opinion, but if it were up
to me, your skill in a certain college of magic would decrease the magicka
cost, increase the effectiveness of the spell (a spell that would normally
do 10 damage could do 50, increase duration), and make it harder for enemies
to defend against or resist the spell. I did read however, that in Oblivion,
you won't ever have to pick up a weapon if you don't want to, as a mage. How
was Daggerfall with the magic system?


> So basically you couldnt just stand around for days straight just training
> constantly. You had to rest in between sessions before it did any good,
> and loitering didn't count.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:55:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Simmie Simmerson wrote:
> I hope Oblivion improves on some things in Morrowind. Obviously the combat,
> swinging a weapon three different ways, gets a little repetetive. Armor
> Rating doesn't seem to do jack squat. Even with a full suit of ebony armor
> and 100 in heavy armor and endurance, I get hit by cliff racers. I'm
> guessing that armor is supposed to absorb damage rather than prevent you
> from getting hit at all, and that's fine, but it seems all armors absorb the
> same amount of damage. Also, the magic system... seems that your skill in a
> school of magic only affects your percentage chance to successfully cast a
> spell. That seems silly. I know this is just my opinion, but if it were up
> to me, your skill in a certain college of magic would decrease the magicka
> cost, increase the effectiveness of the spell (a spell that would normally
> do 10 damage could do 50, increase duration), and make it harder for enemies
> to defend against or resist the spell. I did read however, that in Oblivion,
> you won't ever have to pick up a weapon if you don't want to, as a mage. How
> was Daggerfall with the magic system?

Well, in Daggerfall, it did reduce the magicka cost when your skill went
up. I didn't use magic as much as I have in MW, so I don't remember as
much about it. The power of spells was also dependent on your level and
maybe your skill. Like say a certain spell that you made or bought
would do 5-10 damage, plus 5 per level of the caster. I think duration
could be affected the same way, but I'm not sure.

You could make potions spells and items, but you couldn't make items or
potions yourself...you had to have it done by someone in a Mages guild
or somewhere; I like that MW lets you do this yourself. Also, in DF you
could use any spell effect in making spells, which I guess makes sense
since someone else is making the spell for you.

Those sites I listed in a recent post in this thread should provide much
more info on magic in DF, particuarly the UESP one.

And in Daggerfall, there was a dodge skill which was what determined
whether or not you got hit; the armor just absorbed damage. I would
think that in MW your armor skill determines your dodging ability and
your actual armor would absorb damage, but I don't really know how it
works. The strategy guide for DF had detailed formulae that explained
how everything worked. In fact, it was not so much a strategy guide as
detailed dump of technical data about things in the game and a few
games that didn't quite make it into the game.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:39:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:55:24 GMT, "J. W. McCall"
<jmccall@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>Well, in Daggerfall, it did reduce the magicka cost when your skill went
>up. I didn't use magic as much as I have in MW, so I don't remember as
>much about it. The power of spells was also dependent on your level and
>maybe your skill. Like say a certain spell that you made or bought
>would do 5-10 damage, plus 5 per level of the caster. I think duration
>could be affected the same way, but I'm not sure.

Duration would also rise as your level rose, if the spell were set up
that way. I know that you can set the duration of defence spells,
such as Spell Reflection or Shield, to go up as you level in the spell
maker. You can also do this with Continuous Damage spells.
--
Nyctolops
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 9:07:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

I heard people saying that the designers thought magic was way too
powerful in Daggerfall, and so tried to weaken (balance) it in
Morrowind.....but they went too far.

There are a number of mods that add the ability to regenerate magic.
Personally, I think these make magic more enjoyable. Alternatively,
you can recharge with sujamma or other item that drains intellect to
zero (you refill magic Most of the time when your intellect refills) or
play an autronarch who visits shrines a lot (Mark, Intervene, recharge,
Recall). One of my personal favorites is the mod "Three Shades of
Darkness" (I think it is on Morrowind Summit). It is a medium-small
mod with tough characters, a nice but very small storyline, and a
number of magical trinkets with constant effects. Some of these will
recharge your magic. But, because the fights are tough (a level 100
lock should be a CLLUE), you cannot get the good stuff right away.
Another good mod is Magic Trinkets of Tamriel. That mod adds so much
magic variations that it changes the game play substantially. It is
fun, but way too complex for my tastes. That is, I enjoy it, but do
not keep it in my "always loaded" mod set.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:35:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Why did they not do this with Morrowind?

> Duration would also rise as your level rose, if the spell were set up
> that way. I know that you can set the duration of defence spells,
> such as Spell Reflection or Shield, to go up as you level in the spell
> maker. You can also do this with Continuous Damage spells.
> --
> Nyctolops
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:21:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

I don't think magicka reserves are my characters problem. As a Breton with
the Golem birthsign, I have 350 at 100 int. I have all the grandmaster
alchemy equipment I got in Tel Mora, so my fortify intelligence potions
increase my int by 60, which adds 210 more magicka for quite a while. What
bothers me is that it's easier to just summon a bound battle axe and whack
everything in sight than it is to try and figure out what this and that is
vulnerable to, fire, electricity, cold, etc. Magic is a pain in the ass in
Morrowind.


>I heard people saying that the designers thought magic was way too
> powerful in Daggerfall, and so tried to weaken (balance) it in
> Morrowind.....but they went too far.
>
> There are a number of mods that add the ability to regenerate magic.
> Personally, I think these make magic more enjoyable. Alternatively,
> you can recharge with sujamma or other item that drains intellect to
> zero (you refill magic Most of the time when your intellect refills) or
> play an autronarch who visits shrines a lot (Mark, Intervene, recharge,
> Recall). One of my personal favorites is the mod "Three Shades of
> Darkness" (I think it is on Morrowind Summit). It is a medium-small
> mod with tough characters, a nice but very small storyline, and a
> number of magical trinkets with constant effects. Some of these will
> recharge your magic. But, because the fights are tough (a level 100
> lock should be a CLLUE), you cannot get the good stuff right away.
> Another good mod is Magic Trinkets of Tamriel. That mod adds so much
> magic variations that it changes the game play substantially. It is
> fun, but way too complex for my tastes. That is, I enjoy it, but do
> not keep it in my "always loaded" mod set.
>
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:59:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:21:44 GMT, "Simmie Simmerson"
<radiohead3@earthlink.net> wrote:

>What
>bothers me is that it's easier to just summon a bound battle axe and whack
>everything in sight than it is to try and figure out what this and that is
>vulnerable to, fire, electricity, cold, etc. Magic is a pain in the ass in
>Morrowind.

Absorb Health. If it's not vulnerable to that, it's not vulnerable to
magic at all. Absorb rather than Damage because it shouldn't kill you if
it gets reflected.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
!