What do you think of this character?

A High Elf mage with Wombburn. This was my second character and I killed
Dagoth Ur before quitting, but it's been so long I can't even remember if I
liked it or not, though I have to say I'm getting tired of being an
assassin, whacking people with my glass long sword and glass dagger.
Sneaking is fun, acrobatics is fun, but I would think magic is more fun. And
nah, I don't want to be a Breton. I think they look and sound... odd. I
don't think the weaknesses I'll have will matter with a 50/50 chance that
each spell will be absorbed into my own magicka fountain, muahahahaa!!!
15 answers Last reply
More about what character

    Simmie Simmerson wrote:
    > A High Elf mage with Wombburn. This was my second character and I killed
    > Dagoth Ur before quitting, but it's been so long I can't even remember if I
    > liked it or not, though I have to say I'm getting tired of being an
    > assassin, whacking people with my glass long sword and glass dagger.
    > Sneaking is fun, acrobatics is fun, but I would think magic is more fun. And
    > nah, I don't want to be a Breton. I think they look and sound... odd. I
    > don't think the weaknesses I'll have will matter with a 50/50 chance that
    > each spell will be absorbed into my own magicka fountain, muahahahaa!!!

    hey d0nt di55 teh brit0nz!!!!!11111one

    My current character is a female Briton. :)

    But sounds good, yeah.

    LOL! Well the female Bretons, that's another story. I can't remember if
    that's a Breton in Earthly Delights or not... though I'm pretty sure the one
    who sells the moon sugar is. But the dudes, some of them look like they're
    wearing make-up lol. Leet speak. I need to learn some of that.

    Simmie Simmerson wrote:
    > LOL! Well the female Bretons, that's another story. I can't remember if
    > that's a Breton in Earthly Delights or not... though I'm pretty sure the one
    > who sells the moon sugar is. But the dudes, some of them look like they're
    > wearing make-up lol. Leet speak. I need to learn some of that.

    Yeah, there is one there, and she looks just like my character. :) I
    believe she's on the right.

    Nah, l337 speek i5 teh sux0rzzzz!!!!1111onelolololorz

    I'm just being goofy.

    Hm ya know what? My alter got hit by a fire atronach's firebloom or whatever
    it's called and I dropped dead in seconds, so... I think I'll try a Breton
    after all. Spent a long time deciding how to build him, thing is, I know
    nothing about Bretons outside of Morrowind. What can you tell me about their
    history? Are they any books in Morrowind I can read that tell about them?
    It's been a long time since I've collected books there. I imagine that the
    previous games fleshed out their history better.

    Simmie Simmerson wrote:
    > Hm ya know what? My alter got hit by a fire atronach's firebloom or whatever
    > it's called and I dropped dead in seconds, so... I think I'll try a Breton
    > after all. Spent a long time deciding how to build him, thing is, I know
    > nothing about Bretons outside of Morrowind. What can you tell me about their
    > history? Are they any books in Morrowind I can read that tell about them?
    > It's been a long time since I've collected books there. I imagine that the
    > previous games fleshed out their history better.

    Well, they're similar to the British and French in the real world. They
    live in High Rock, which is partially where Daggefall took place (along
    with northern Hammerfell, and it's a pretty basic Medieval Europe type
    place. I think they might be related to the High Elves, and they of
    course have magical talent.

    I'm no expert on Bretons specifically, but here's some info I found
    about Bretons, among other things:

    http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1892566&Main=1892557

    Here's a site with info, including *all* the books from *all* the ES
    games, which is a nice place if you want to do some research:

    http://til.gamingsource.net/

    Here's a great general info site that's been around since at least
    Daggerfall's day, but I couldn't find anything specifially about Bretons:

    http://www.uesp.net/

    I was flipping through the official forums on ES Lore, and read that Bretons
    are the result of Altmer and Nordic interspecies breeding. But some people
    were disagreeing that it was the Nords, but apparently it was Altmer and
    some other human race. Now that I look at Bretons in Morrowind, their ears
    seem to look a little pointy, but it could be my imagination.
    Thanks, I'll check out these sights. I've been playing my Breton all night,
    heh... in my last game I was cheesy and just paid people to train me in misc
    skills. This time around I want to earn everything. It's actually much more
    fun, oddly. The Breton is actually growing on me.

    Simmie Simmerson wrote:
    > I was flipping through the official forums on ES Lore, and read that Bretons
    > are the result of Altmer and Nordic interspecies breeding. But some people
    > were disagreeing that it was the Nords, but apparently it was Altmer and
    > some other human race. Now that I look at Bretons in Morrowind, their ears
    > seem to look a little pointy, but it could be my imagination.
    > Thanks, I'll check out these sights. I've been playing my Breton all night,
    > heh... in my last game I was cheesy and just paid people to train me in misc
    > skills. This time around I want to earn everything. It's actually much more
    > fun, oddly. The Breton is actually growing on me.

    Yeah, I'd read that too, about the High Elf ancestry, which would make
    sense, I guess with the innate magical talents in both races.

    I agree that the ease in training in MW is a little cheesy. Once again,
    I like the way DF did it better. It basically just added quite a few
    uses to the skill, which doesn't seem that different except that skills
    only increased when you rested. So if you used lots of skills or did
    lots of training, when you rested for a while, you'd have several
    messages saying that your skills have improved (and maybe your level has
    gone up). This seems a lot more realistic, as you've had time to rest
    and reflect on your practice rather than, just mid-combat going, "hey, I
    am suddenly better at using this sword!"

    So basically you couldnt just stand around for days straight just
    training constantly. You had to rest in between sessions before it did
    any good, and loitering didn't count.

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:29:52 GMT, "J. W. McCall"
    <jmccall@houston.rr.com> wrote:

    >I agree that the ease in training in MW is a little cheesy. Once again,
    >I like the way DF did it better. It basically just added quite a few
    >uses to the skill, which doesn't seem that different except that skills
    >only increased when you rested. So if you used lots of skills or did
    >lots of training, when you rested for a while, you'd have several
    >messages saying that your skills have improved (and maybe your level has
    >gone up). This seems a lot more realistic, as you've had time to rest
    >and reflect on your practice rather than, just mid-combat going, "hey, I
    >am suddenly better at using this sword!"
    >
    >So basically you couldnt just stand around for days straight just
    >training constantly. You had to rest in between sessions before it did
    >any good, and loitering didn't count.

    Also, in Daggerfall, you could only train once a day. That made
    practicing your skills that much more important. I always try to
    remember to practice my spells just before fast-travelling cautiously.
    --
    Nyctolops

    I hope Oblivion improves on some things in Morrowind. Obviously the combat,
    swinging a weapon three different ways, gets a little repetetive. Armor
    Rating doesn't seem to do jack squat. Even with a full suit of ebony armor
    and 100 in heavy armor and endurance, I get hit by cliff racers. I'm
    guessing that armor is supposed to absorb damage rather than prevent you
    from getting hit at all, and that's fine, but it seems all armors absorb the
    same amount of damage. Also, the magic system... seems that your skill in a
    school of magic only affects your percentage chance to successfully cast a
    spell. That seems silly. I know this is just my opinion, but if it were up
    to me, your skill in a certain college of magic would decrease the magicka
    cost, increase the effectiveness of the spell (a spell that would normally
    do 10 damage could do 50, increase duration), and make it harder for enemies
    to defend against or resist the spell. I did read however, that in Oblivion,
    you won't ever have to pick up a weapon if you don't want to, as a mage. How
    was Daggerfall with the magic system?

    Simmie Simmerson wrote:
    > I hope Oblivion improves on some things in Morrowind. Obviously the combat,
    > swinging a weapon three different ways, gets a little repetetive. Armor
    > Rating doesn't seem to do jack squat. Even with a full suit of ebony armor
    > and 100 in heavy armor and endurance, I get hit by cliff racers. I'm
    > guessing that armor is supposed to absorb damage rather than prevent you
    > from getting hit at all, and that's fine, but it seems all armors absorb the
    > same amount of damage. Also, the magic system... seems that your skill in a
    > school of magic only affects your percentage chance to successfully cast a
    > spell. That seems silly. I know this is just my opinion, but if it were up
    > to me, your skill in a certain college of magic would decrease the magicka
    > cost, increase the effectiveness of the spell (a spell that would normally
    > do 10 damage could do 50, increase duration), and make it harder for enemies
    > to defend against or resist the spell. I did read however, that in Oblivion,
    > you won't ever have to pick up a weapon if you don't want to, as a mage. How
    > was Daggerfall with the magic system?

    Well, in Daggerfall, it did reduce the magicka cost when your skill went
    up. I didn't use magic as much as I have in MW, so I don't remember as
    much about it. The power of spells was also dependent on your level and
    maybe your skill. Like say a certain spell that you made or bought
    would do 5-10 damage, plus 5 per level of the caster. I think duration
    could be affected the same way, but I'm not sure.

    You could make potions spells and items, but you couldn't make items or
    potions yourself...you had to have it done by someone in a Mages guild
    or somewhere; I like that MW lets you do this yourself. Also, in DF you
    could use any spell effect in making spells, which I guess makes sense
    since someone else is making the spell for you.

    Those sites I listed in a recent post in this thread should provide much
    more info on magic in DF, particuarly the UESP one.

    And in Daggerfall, there was a dodge skill which was what determined
    whether or not you got hit; the armor just absorbed damage. I would
    think that in MW your armor skill determines your dodging ability and
    your actual armor would absorb damage, but I don't really know how it
    works. The strategy guide for DF had detailed formulae that explained
    how everything worked. In fact, it was not so much a strategy guide as
    detailed dump of technical data about things in the game and a few
    games that didn't quite make it into the game.

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:55:24 GMT, "J. W. McCall"
    <jmccall@houston.rr.com> wrote:

    >Well, in Daggerfall, it did reduce the magicka cost when your skill went
    >up. I didn't use magic as much as I have in MW, so I don't remember as
    >much about it. The power of spells was also dependent on your level and
    >maybe your skill. Like say a certain spell that you made or bought
    >would do 5-10 damage, plus 5 per level of the caster. I think duration
    >could be affected the same way, but I'm not sure.

    Duration would also rise as your level rose, if the spell were set up
    that way. I know that you can set the duration of defence spells,
    such as Spell Reflection or Shield, to go up as you level in the spell
    maker. You can also do this with Continuous Damage spells.
    --
    Nyctolops

    I heard people saying that the designers thought magic was way too
    powerful in Daggerfall, and so tried to weaken (balance) it in
    Morrowind.....but they went too far.

    There are a number of mods that add the ability to regenerate magic.
    Personally, I think these make magic more enjoyable. Alternatively,
    you can recharge with sujamma or other item that drains intellect to
    zero (you refill magic Most of the time when your intellect refills) or
    play an autronarch who visits shrines a lot (Mark, Intervene, recharge,
    Recall). One of my personal favorites is the mod "Three Shades of
    Darkness" (I think it is on Morrowind Summit). It is a medium-small
    mod with tough characters, a nice but very small storyline, and a
    number of magical trinkets with constant effects. Some of these will
    recharge your magic. But, because the fights are tough (a level 100
    lock should be a CLLUE), you cannot get the good stuff right away.
    Another good mod is Magic Trinkets of Tamriel. That mod adds so much
    magic variations that it changes the game play substantially. It is
    fun, but way too complex for my tastes. That is, I enjoy it, but do
    not keep it in my "always loaded" mod set.

    Why did they not do this with Morrowind?

    > Duration would also rise as your level rose, if the spell were set up
    > that way. I know that you can set the duration of defence spells,
    > such as Spell Reflection or Shield, to go up as you level in the spell
    > maker. You can also do this with Continuous Damage spells.
    > --
    > Nyctolops

    I don't think magicka reserves are my characters problem. As a Breton with
    the Golem birthsign, I have 350 at 100 int. I have all the grandmaster
    alchemy equipment I got in Tel Mora, so my fortify intelligence potions
    increase my int by 60, which adds 210 more magicka for quite a while. What
    bothers me is that it's easier to just summon a bound battle axe and whack
    everything in sight than it is to try and figure out what this and that is
    vulnerable to, fire, electricity, cold, etc. Magic is a pain in the ass in
    Morrowind.

    >I heard people saying that the designers thought magic was way too
    > powerful in Daggerfall, and so tried to weaken (balance) it in
    > Morrowind.....but they went too far.
    >
    > There are a number of mods that add the ability to regenerate magic.
    > Personally, I think these make magic more enjoyable. Alternatively,
    > you can recharge with sujamma or other item that drains intellect to
    > zero (you refill magic Most of the time when your intellect refills) or
    > play an autronarch who visits shrines a lot (Mark, Intervene, recharge,
    > Recall). One of my personal favorites is the mod "Three Shades of
    > Darkness" (I think it is on Morrowind Summit). It is a medium-small
    > mod with tough characters, a nice but very small storyline, and a
    > number of magical trinkets with constant effects. Some of these will
    > recharge your magic. But, because the fights are tough (a level 100
    > lock should be a CLLUE), you cannot get the good stuff right away.
    > Another good mod is Magic Trinkets of Tamriel. That mod adds so much
    > magic variations that it changes the game play substantially. It is
    > fun, but way too complex for my tastes. That is, I enjoy it, but do
    > not keep it in my "always loaded" mod set.

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:21:44 GMT, "Simmie Simmerson"
    <radiohead3@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >What
    >bothers me is that it's easier to just summon a bound battle axe and whack
    >everything in sight than it is to try and figure out what this and that is
    >vulnerable to, fire, electricity, cold, etc. Magic is a pain in the ass in
    >Morrowind.

    Absorb Health. If it's not vulnerable to that, it's not vulnerable to
    magic at all. Absorb rather than Damage because it shouldn't kill you if
    it gets reflected.
    --
    Greg Johnson
    Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Games Video Games