copying folders and protected files

When copying a folder (with sub-folders) to an external
USB flash drive, the process stops when a protected file
is encountered. There does not seem to be a way to bypass
the protected file(s)to copy the other 400 files. From
that point, one has to mark and copy files individually.
Are there any work arounds that allow the system to
process the command in full, omitting any problem cases,
and then reporting the problems?
Does this problem occur with XP?
3 answers Last reply
More about copying folders protected files

    Hi, CV.

    Have you tried using the Xcopy command from the "DOS" window? At the
    Command prompt, type xcopy /? to see a mini-Help file listing all the
    switches and parameters available with the command.

    The /H switch copies hidden and system files, too, and /C "Continues copying
    even if errors occur."

    To copy an entire volume, I usually use something like:
    xcopy x:\ y:\ /c /h /e /r /k

    Yes, this works in WinXP's Command prompt window, too, as well as with true
    MS-DOS, such as from a boot floppy.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "cv.horie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When copying a folder (with sub-folders) to an external
    > USB flash drive, the process stops when a protected file
    > is encountered. There does not seem to be a way to bypass
    > the protected file(s)to copy the other 400 files. From
    > that point, one has to mark and copy files individually.
    > Are there any work arounds that allow the system to
    > process the command in full, omitting any problem cases,
    > and then reporting the problems?
    > Does this problem occur with XP?

    Dear RC

    Thanks - it must be 5 years since I used xcopy. It had
    completely slipped my mind. I am glad it survives.
    Shouldn't this be an option in Windows instead of MSDOS?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi, CV.

    Xcopy is still one of my favorite tools. I find myself working in the "DOS"
    window several times a day. But I'm not sure what you mean by:

    > Shouldn't this be an option in Windows instead of MSDOS?

    You know, of course, that there is no MS-DOS in WinXP, but there are two
    emulators, the 16-bit version (Command.com) and the 32-bit version
    (Cmd.exe). Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt if you
    don't already have a shortcut to it. And use the Properties screen to
    adjust the appearance to suit yourself. (I like 80x25, Blue background,
    Bright White text, but you can make your own choices.) Kind of like the old
    PIF files in the olden Win9x/ME days.

    I think you can put the Xcopy commands in a batch file and run it by
    clicking Start | Run and typing in the name of the batch file. You would
    want to include switches to leave open the "DOS" window that runs Xcopy, so
    that you can see the results.

    RC
    --

    > Dear RC
    >
    > Thanks - it must be 5 years since I used xcopy. It had
    > completely slipped my mind. I am glad it survives.
    > Shouldn't this be an option in Windows instead of MSDOS?

File System Windows