Printing CDs on Epson R1800 using Avery AfterBurner

I designed a CD label using Avery's AfterBurner CD label printing software.
I placed a blank label over a blank CD(since I don't have the special
printable CDs) and loaded it into the CD tray and placed it into the
printer. Under the paper options for source I chose CD/DVD, the type of
paper was matte, and the only choice in size allowed was A4. After the
printing was done the designed was off center, skued to the right. I
consulted my printer manual and followed the instructions under adjusting
print position. However, the target was dead center and did not need any
adjusting. I then consulted the help topics in AfterBurner and it suggested
calibrating the printer. Unfortunately this only seems to work if the
source is the sheet feeder and not the CD/DVD tray. I should point out that
I have no problems printing using the sheet feeding method. The printer did
come with Epson's own CD printing software but I like Avery's software
better.
Thanks in advance.

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:23:48 -0400, "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Print labels first, then apply to CD afterward.

frederick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

ftran999 wrote:

> I designed a CD label using Avery's AfterBurner CD label printing software.
> I placed a blank label over a blank CD(since I don't have the special
> printable CDs) and loaded it into the CD tray and placed it into the
> printer. Under the paper options for source I chose CD/DVD, the type of
> paper was matte, and the only choice in size allowed was A4. After the
> printing was done the designed was off center, skued to the right. I
> consulted my printer manual and followed the instructions under adjusting
> print position. However, the target was dead center and did not need any
> adjusting. I then consulted the help topics in AfterBurner and it suggested
> calibrating the printer. Unfortunately this only seems to work if the
> source is the sheet feeder and not the CD/DVD tray. I should point out that
> I have no problems printing using the sheet feeding method. The printer did
> come with Epson's own CD printing software but I like Avery's software
> better.
> Thanks in advance.

Just use the Epson Print CD software. Works a treat for me.
(sorry - that doesn't really answer your question).
If you don't like the design tools etc. in the Epson software, then use
whatever graphics software you like, save your work as a jpeg or tiff,
then use the Epson software and insert your work as an image.
If that's still going to cause problems in designing a satisfactory
layout, then make up a blank graphics file with a template of the CD
printable surface on it. Anything outside the printable area set in the
CD print software doesn't get printed anyway.
Enable Print Preview in your printer driver - that way you can abort the
print if you don't like the preview.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Impmon wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:23:48 -0400, "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Print labels first, then apply to CD afterward.

Thats a bit counter productive when the R1800 is able to print directly
to the CD.

I still find the Epson Print CD, which is supplied with Epson CD
printers, does the job just fine.

rm

"Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message
> Impmon wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:23:48 -0400, "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> Print labels first, then apply to CD afterward.
>
> Thats a bit counter productive when the R1800 is able to print directly to
> the CD.
>
> I still find the Epson Print CD, which is supplied with Epson CD printers,
> does the job just fine.
>
> rm

It's not that counter productive if you ruin the print job and have to scrap
a disk as well. Peeling a label of a disk could ruin the disk. Using the
Epson Print CD is probably your best bet...
-Smitty

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:04:14 +1000, Rob <mesa@mine.com> wrote:

>Thats a bit counter productive when the R1800 is able to print directly
>to the CD.

True but personally I think the ability to print directly to CD is
useless. With printable CD, you do need to let it sit for a while,
sometimes 24 hours to let ink dry or they smudge easily. With label,
they are ready to be handled just seconds after they are done
printing.

If you still must print directly on the CD, you will need to use the
Epson software since the other software doesn't seem to be properly
set to use your particular model.

"ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I designed a CD label using Avery's AfterBurner CD label printing software.
>I placed a blank label over a blank CD(since I don't have the special
>printable CDs) and loaded it into the CD tray and placed it into the
>printer. Under the paper options for source I chose CD/DVD, the type of
>paper was matte, and the only choice in size allowed was A4. After the
>printing was done the designed was off center, skued to the right. I
>consulted my printer manual and followed the instructions under adjusting
>print position. However, the target was dead center and did not need any
>adjusting. I then consulted the help topics in AfterBurner and it
>suggested calibrating the printer. Unfortunately this only seems to work
>if the source is the sheet feeder and not the CD/DVD tray. I should point
>out that I have no problems printing using the sheet feeding method. The
>printer did come with Epson's own CD printing software but I like Avery's
>software better.
> Thanks in advance.

Sounds like Avery Afterburner isn;t designed to printing direct to CD, but
only to labels. Check their website and make sure there isn't an update.